Chan Gailey's Offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey's Offense

I fell in love with this offense Bobby Petrino used to run, I feel like Gailey wants to run a spread/power game, Petrino would spread you out then run on fools, it made so much sense, simply force the defense to cover 5 guys in route thus leaving 6 in the box, and then allow your oline to work upfield one on one and then have your back have all that space to work with..

Love the idea of the power spread

I think its great if you have a running back that can make use of that space and I'm not sure anyone on the Phins roster can do that. I'd be a bit more confident if they had landed Gurley, injuries and all.

Whatever Gailey ends up installing as his base system the on thing I hope is that they are able to implement that Pats philosophy of positional versatility amongst players and system adaptability from one week to the next. I doubt the Dolphins have the personnel for it but that ability to switch from a spread to power one game to the next or even one quarter to the next is vital to their continued success. The downfall of all those offensive "geniuses" like Kelly always seems to be down to their inability to adapt or adjust on the fly. Even with this latest round of wunderkinds you see the same traits. Taylor, McVay, Shanahan, and our own Gase. It all looks great when they first run it out but you don't see the true quality until adjustments are made and suddenly what they're trying to do doesn't work so well anymore.

1985 Denver: Mike Barber and Clarence Kay
1986 Denver: Joey Hackett, Clarence Kay, Bobby Micho, Orson Mobley
1987 Denver: Clarence Kay, Bobby Micho, Orson Mobley

(All above were as Denver's TE coach from 85-87)

1988 Denver: QB Coach

Denver OC:

1989 Denver: Clarence Kay, Orson Mobley, Pat Kelly
1990 Denver: Clarence Kay, Shannon Sharpe**, Orson Mobley, Chris Verhulst (Sharpe HOFer: 7 catches, 99 yards, TD)

Pittsburgh OC: 1996-1997

1996 Pittsburgh: Kirk Botkin, John Farquhar, Jonathan Hayes
1997 Pittsburgh: Kirk Botkin, Mark Breuner, Mitch Lyons, Troy Sadowski

Dallas HC:
1998 Dallas: Eric Bjornson, David LaFleur, Hayward Clay
1999 Dallas: Eric Bjornson, David LaFleur, Mike Lucky

Dolphins OC:

2000 Dolphins: Hunter Goodwin, Alonzo Mayes, Jed Weaver
2001 Dolphins: Hunter Goodwin, Ed Perry, Jed Weaver (Let's be honest, Perry was only a LS)

KC OC:

2008 Chiefs: Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, Michael Merritt

Bills HC:

2010 Bills:
82 Mike Caussin
84 Scott Chandler
80 David Martin
88 Jonathan Stupar

2011 Bills:
87 Kevin Brock
84 Scott Chandler
89 Fendi Onobun

2012 Bills:
42 Dorin Dickerson FB
85 Lee Smith

Jets OC:

2015 Jets:
85 Jeff Cumberland
47 Kellen Davis

2016 Jets:
82 Brandon Bostick
88 Austin Seferian-Jenkins
83 Eric Tomlinson
Thanks HP, much appreciated. Pretty much what I thought. A bunch of 'meh', mixed with a couple HOFs.

I think its great if you have a running back that can make use of that space and I'm not sure anyone on the Phins roster can do that. I'd be a bit more confident if they had landed Gurley, injuries and all.

Whatever Gailey ends up installing as his base system the on thing I hope is that they are able to implement that Pats philosophy of positional versatility amongst players and system adaptability from one week to the next. I doubt the Dolphins have the personnel for it but that ability to switch from a spread to power one game to the next or even one quarter to the next is vital to their continued success. The downfall of all those offensive "geniuses" like Kelly always seems to be down to their inability to adapt or adjust on the fly. Even with this latest round of wunderkinds you see the same traits. Taylor, McVay, Shanahan, and our own Gase. It all looks great when they first run it out but you don't see the true quality until adjustments are made and suddenly what they're trying to do doesn't work so well anymore.

XACTLY!

As you can see above, not much to really work with...other than a great season from Tony Gonzalez (rightfully so) and a rookie Shannon Sharpe.

Outside of that, not much to write home about.
How long did that take to look all of that up? LOL, Kudos for the effort! :cheers:

I'm not so sure he has much more to work with in Miami. Gesicki showed improvement during his second season, but I don't see "special" with him and I really think Gailey doesn't favor the tight end position. That's one of the reasons I was hoping Miami would try to upgrade the WR position in the draft. Hopefully that will be addressed in the next draft.

As an all around TE, Gesicki is not special, but as a receiving weapon, I disagree he's not shown to be special.

Put the right QB that can get him the ball, Gesicki can, and will make plays.

Gailey will use Offensive weapons when they're there, so expect too see even more Gesicki this coming year.

As an all around TE, Gesicki is not special, but as a receiving weapon, I disagree he's not shown to be special.

Put the right QB that can get him the ball, Gesicki can, and will make plays.

Gailey will use Offensive weapons when they're there, so expect too see even more Gesicki this coming year.

Tight end has been an afterthought for the most part in Gailey's offense. Tony Gonzalez was the only tight end that ever had success in Gailey's offense and Gesicki is no Tony Gonzalez.

Still doesn't mean he'll utilize the TE.
It also doesn't mean he won't..........From the list of TE's he's had, most were garbage. Gesicki is pretty capable. We'll see. As long as we''re scoring more touchdowns than our opponents are, I don't care if we're throwing to the Care Bears...

just a correction, I meant spread out four receivers not five..and yes I agree with you in hoping we change formations based on the defenses weaknesses.

Tight end has been an afterthought for the most part in Gailey's offense. Tony Gonzalez was the only tight end that ever had success in Gailey's offense and Gesicki is no Tony Gonzalez.

Does not have to be, just needs to prove to be consistent. Also though not in Gonzalez's level (How many are), he has shown that his receiving skill level allows him to be one of the better receiving TEs.

Just by the fact Gailey used Gonzalez in his offense proves that a TE can be successful in his offense. Gesicki proved last year he could be an effective receiving weapon, if Gailey did not use him or find a place for him, that would make him an ineffective coordinator.

What may happen though is that Gesicki may be moved around, to the point at times actually playing the receiver position.

Back
Top Bottom