Chan Gailey's Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey's Offense

He stated something about why the Hall of Fame TE's weren't used more in GAILEYS system?!? OK, I'll bite, someone who isn't lazy like myself, please look up the TE's GAILEY has had in previous stops? I can't believe they were all that. Thats me of course.

He stated something about why the Hall of Fame TE's weren't used more in GAILEYS system?!? OK, I'll bite, someone who isn't lazy like myself, please look up the TE's GAILEY has had in previous stops? I can't believe they were all that. Thats me of course.
he had tony g in 08, and he had a big year 96 rec 10 tds

1985 Denver: Mike Barber and Clarence Kay
1986 Denver: Joey Hackett, Clarence Kay, Bobby Micho, Orson Mobley
1987 Denver: Clarence Kay, Bobby Micho, Orson Mobley

(All above were as Denver's TE coach from 85-87)

1988 Denver: QB Coach

Denver OC:

1989 Denver: Clarence Kay, Orson Mobley, Pat Kelly
1990 Denver: Clarence Kay, Shannon Sharpe**, Orson Mobley, Chris Verhulst (Sharpe HOFer: 7 catches, 99 yards, TD)

Pittsburgh OC: 1996-1997

1996 Pittsburgh: Kirk Botkin, John Farquhar, Jonathan Hayes
1997 Pittsburgh: Kirk Botkin, Mark Breuner, Mitch Lyons, Troy Sadowski

Dallas HC:
1998 Dallas: Eric Bjornson, David LaFleur, Hayward Clay
1999 Dallas: Eric Bjornson, David LaFleur, Mike Lucky

Dolphins OC:

2000 Dolphins: Hunter Goodwin, Alonzo Mayes, Jed Weaver
2001 Dolphins: Hunter Goodwin, Ed Perry, Jed Weaver (Let's be honest, Perry was only a LS)

KC OC:

2008 Chiefs: Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, Michael Merritt

Bills HC:

2010 Bills:
82 Mike Caussin
84 Scott Chandler
80 David Martin
88 Jonathan Stupar

2011 Bills:
87 Kevin Brock
84 Scott Chandler
89 Fendi Onobun

2012 Bills:
42 Dorin Dickerson FB
85 Lee Smith

Jets OC:

2015 Jets:
85 Jeff Cumberland
47 Kellen Davis

2016 Jets:
82 Brandon Bostick
88 Austin Seferian-Jenkins
83 Eric Tomlinson

As you can see above, not much to really work with...other than a great season from Tony Gonzalez (rightfully so) and a rookie Shannon Sharpe.

Outside of that, not much to write home about.
I'm not so sure he has much more to work with in Miami. Gesicki showed improvement during his second season, but I don't see "special" with him and I really think Gailey doesn't favor the tight end position. That's one of the reasons I was hoping Miami would try to upgrade the WR position in the draft. Hopefully that will be addressed in the next draft.

...lots of words not a lot of content IMO.

Bottom line if Galey is worth a sack of salt he's gonna utilize the available talent

including Gesicki or whoever to (a) move sticks and (b) score points...

"Systems" are so overrated by fans IMO. Players play the game and

systems need to serve the players -- within a design at least.

Galey has way more than enough experience to apply his "system"

to the talents of the team. I do NOT expect a canned formula...

...lots of words not a lot of content IMO.

Bottom line if Galey is worth a sack of salt he's gonna utilize the available talent

including Gesicki or whoever to (a) move sticks and (b) score points...

"Systems" are so overrated by fans IMO. Players play the game and

systems need to serve the players -- within a design at least.

Galey has way more than enough experience to apply his "system"

to the talents of the team. I do NOT expect a canned formula...
BNF gets it.

I fell in love with this offense Bobby Petrino used to run, I feel like Gailey wants to run a spread/power game, Petrino would spread you out then run on fools, it made so much sense, simply force the defense to cover 5 guys in route thus leaving 6 in the box, and then allow your oline to work upfield one on one and then have your back have all that space to work with..

Love the idea of the power spread

I fell in love with this offense Bobby Petrino used to run, I feel like Gailey wants to run a spread/power game, Petrino would spread you out then run on fools, it made so much sense, simply force the defense to cover 5 guys in route thus leaving 6 in the box, and then allow your oline to work upfield one on one and then have your back have all that space to work with..

Love the idea of the power spread

With a threat at QB (Tua) DC's have to respect multiple WR's ... makes all the difference when the opposing D KNOWS a QB can beat you (Marino comes to mind) ....

I'm not sure but I think the league has changed a bitwhen it comes to TE's .... back in the day they were used to help the running game and occasionally fool you with a pass route .... The pass happy NFL changed the TE position to one that attacks ... todays TE's are built to run and catch and surprise you by staying in to block lol ... Yesterday'sTE's built and trained to make an impact on the line IMO

Occasionally a talent (Gonzales) came around and BOOM was the best thing since sliced bread .... I haven't followed Gailey but looking back it seems he knows how to adjust to his players strengths .... we will see

In general TEs block or receive. Only a few can do both. Our line, hopefully only at first, will need the blocking help.

The TEs 'who can do both' are rarely top receivers... generally, they are mediocre in both areas... or alternately... skilled at catching short passes, but lacking in long speed due to their bulkier frame.

I'm not opposed to having a better blocker at TE, but I'd prefer to have a guy that actually scares defenses on a seam route.

Back
Top Bottom