Chan Gaileys’s offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gaileys’s offense

Going to be intriguing to see Mike Gesecki’s role in this offense. Gailey historically does not feature tight ends in his offense.

One year with Fitzpatrick his offense had 2 1K WRs and a 1K RB....
That's fine. Does that define his entire career?

I think Flo is a strong willed coach, with the "courage of his convictions". He will run the type of offense HE believes in. Of that, I have no doubt.

By all accounts, he believes in being flexible, and being able to attack a defense's weaknesses in multiple ways. In that context, a guy like Gailey, with experience in multiple systems, and philosophies makes sense.

I just dont see Flores as the type of person that just says "hey Chan, here are the keys. Do whatever you want". No, I don't see that at all.

Time will tell.....

I think Flo is a strong willed coach, with the "courage of his convictions". He will run the type of offense HE believes in. Of that, I have no doubt.

By all accounts, he believes in being flexible, and being able to attack a defense's weaknesses in multiple ways. In that context, a guy like Gailey, with experience in multiple systems, and philosophies makes sense.

I just dont see Flores as the type of person that just says "hey Chan, here are the keys. Do whatever you want". No, I don't see that at all.

Time will tell.....
No, it's a positive outlier that made me hopeful and my toes tingle like they do when my wife does special things in the bed arena.

Think Flores has some ideas on how he wants the O to run, especially now that they will adapt at times to suit Tua's strong points.
Gailey seems like he looks at the skill sets of the players he has and adapts the best to suit them.
With the draft especially Hunt and Kindley two road grading maulers I think far more emphasis will be put on the run if one or both can step up early to start which would also take the pressure off Tua and lesson the chance of him receiving a lot of hits early in his career.
Don't know a lot about Flowers and Karras, are they good run blockers?
The only thing about Chan’s offense is he doesn’t get the TE involved enough.

Time will tell.....
You mean like the way Gase ran the defense !

I wanted one of the beat reporters to ask how much input Gailey had on the draft. Either way, we did the right thing.

As a general idea, I think it’s a major mistake to draft a guy to match some coordinator. That’s how you end up taking Charles Harris over TJ Watt. That’s not to say the coordinator isn’t involved. But the GM and his scouts should draft the best football players, particularly with the right mentality (motor, playing with an edge, smart etc) and I assure you that you will be better in the long run. You can always adapt to good players as a coaching staff. But you will never go anywhere with crap players.

If you have to take the L on picking Harris, you have to at least learn what went wrong so you don’t make that mistake again.

I get the impression Gailey was brought in to match they guy they were going to draft, not the other way around. Whether they knew it was Tua at the time I don't know but I'm sure they knew they were going to draft a QB and thought Gailey's approach would be better than that of O'Shea. There should be plenty of RPO, even if its Fitzpatrick's old ass back there. A simpler approach on offense where the emphasis is on getting the timing down and leaving the deception to formations and pre-snap shifts. Then assuming Tua is who they think he is they can build and expand off of that in subsequent years.

Old time old fashion football. Running the ball down your throat and having a quality defense on the other side of the ball. Common sense football. It’s called controlling the clock
the game has changed. offenses can put up 40+ points no problem. you have to be able to move the ball down the field in today's game or you don't have a chance

Pivot to a heavy rpo based offense. If they aren’t designing an offense that fits tua to a t and makes fitz deal with it somethings wrong.
Agree. And that's a great fit for Tua. Bring on the RPO!

Free agency and the draft are the clues. Physical vs the run, improved pass russ and press coverage on D. Power, smash mouth football on O. Leadership and high character on both sides of the ball
Right. With maybe the exception of Jackson, every offensive lineman they've drafted has been describe as "a mauler." Same for Flowers. Miami clearly wants to go to a power running game.

the game has changed. offenses can put up 40+ points no problem. you have to be able to move the ball down the field in today's game or you don't have a chance

Simple has not changed. You can move the ball by running it and controlling the clock. You have an outstanding defense you keep offenses and opposing QBs off the field. Just because a handful of teams in this era throw more and won a SB doesn’t mean fundamental football doesn’t win anymore Or can’t. It’s all about game planning and of course you need a QB of your own that you can rely on in tight games. This current passing game is a fad that has everyone brainwashed that it’s the only way to win

Care to back that up statistically?

You can point out specific examples of high scoring teams, but that has always been true. Air Coryell could put up points. Bill Walsh could put up points. How about the "greateat show on turf" ?

40 points per game, no problem you say?

I say show me. No team averages anything close to that. Not only that, putting up pts against a bad defense is not the same as doing it against a quality "D".

Do you know who led the league is scoring last year? How far did they go in the playoffs?

The rule changes have favored the offense, without a doubt, but it hasn't translated to a drastic change in average ppg.

There is a time for airing it out, and there is a time to ground and pound. The opponent has a tough time putting up points if they don't have the ball.

Late in a game, up by a score, you want to be able to run it down their gullet.

Care to back that up statistically?

You can point out specific examples of high scoring teams, but that has always been true. Air Coryell could put up points. Bill Walsh could put up points. How about the "greateat show on turf" ?

40 points per game, no problem you say?

I say show me. No team averages anything close to that. Not only that, putting up pts against a bad defense is not the same as doing it against a quality "D".

Do you know who led the league is scoring last year? How far did they go in the playoffs?

The rule changes have favored the offense, without a doubt, but it hasn't translated to a drastic change in average ppg.

There is a time for airing it out, and there is a time to ground and pound. The opponent has a tough time putting up points if they don't have the ball.

Late in a game, up by a score, you want to be able to run it down their gullet.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The NFL is a league of copycats. It is also a league of innovation and adaptation.

If you are the copycat, you are likely a few years behind the curve.

Back
Top Bottom