• Nope, he will be taken already

Votes: 162 83.9%
  • YES and I would draft him at #18

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • YES and I would NOT draft him at #18

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I highly doubt Smith drops to #18. But if he did, like some are speculating or hoping for, than I would run the card up to draft him. And have no regrets.

I just think it would be a mistake to trade up for a receiver seeing how many decent ones are in the 2021 draft class and there could be just as many next year. For example I don't think I would say I would rather trade up for Smith instead of drafting Toney and Bateman this year or Toney this year and Olave next year. Two good receivers seem like a better deal then one great one.
I’d take Bateman or Moore

615jkkqZwDL._AC_SL1043_.jpg

its spelled Devonta, show some goddamn respect

The question if he is still there at 18 is why. If Philly and San Diego pass, and New England, that's saying there's a consensus that he is just not viewed as durable or worthy of the pick that high. The college game doesn't always translate to a bigger tougher game at the next level, and the franchises are so valuable and the top picks so important that if there are questions about your true ability at the next level, you drop. Every team will be looking with their second pick for sure, lucky Miami has theirs where they do, but he is not a reach no matter what in the late first or second round for sure. It is easy to project that other receivers go ahead of him in this draft.

Though I agree he will not get out of the top 10, let alone reach 18, players for insane reasons slip (How does Lamb reach the Cowboys?...How does Rodgers reach Packers?...How does Marino reach the Dolphins?), all it takes is an issue with the players, and teams over think it.

This video makes me want Devonta more with our pick 6!

Who was the last dominant <170lb WR in the NFL? Smith falls to 18.

Who was the last dominant <170lb WR in the NFL? Smith falls to 18.
Who was the last dominant 170 pound WR to win a Heisman?

Who was the last 43 year old QB to win a Super Bowl before Brady?

Who was the last 5’8 WR to be an All Pro before Tyreek Hill?

Who was the last 1000 yard rushing QB before Lamar Jackson did it in back to back years?

It’s just broken logic. You don’t see a lot of 170 pound WRs dominating because most WRs aren’t 170 pounds. But plenty of small receivers dominate. Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, TY Hilton, Santana Moss, Ochocinco, even Emmanuel Sanders—these are some of the most accomplished WRs of the past 20 years. They’re not prototypes.

You can say the exact same things about 5’8 receivers and Tyreek Hill as you’re saying about 170 pound receivers and Smith. The only difference is Smith can put on 10 or 15 pounds. Hill ain’t growing 3 inches. It hasn’t held him back. If anything, with the lack of contact allowed downfield, size matters less than ever for WRs.

Who was the last dominant 170 pound WR to win a Heisman?

Who was the last 43 year old QB to win a Super Bowl before Brady?

Who was the last 5’8 WR to be an All Pro before Tyreek Hill?

Who was the last 1000 yard rushing QB before Lamar Jackson did it in back to back years?

It’s just broken logic. You don’t see a lot of 170 pound WRs dominating because most WRs aren’t 170 pounds. But plenty of small receivers dominate. Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, TY Hilton, Santana Moss, Ochocinco, even Emmanuel Sanders—these are some of the most accomplished WRs of the past 20 years. They’re not prototypes.

You can say the exact same things about 5’8 receivers and Tyreek Hill as you’re saying about 170 pound receivers and Smith. The only difference is Smith can put on 10 or 15 pounds. Hill ain’t growing 3 inches. It hasn’t held him back. If anything, with the lack of contact allowed downfield, size matters less than ever for WRs.

All of the Wrs are all >170, hell Smith is 170 only while holding 10lb weights. He not a top 10 pick based on size alone. Smith only won the heisman due to Waddle getting injured. Waddle was more productive than Smith prior to his injury. You put Smith against CBs line Ramsey and he will be shut down all game. Smith is being compared to Marvin Harrison a lot. What happened when Marvin went up against a bigger CB like Ty Law, he got shut the **** down. Pushed out of bounds continually. I would pick Pitts or Sewell over Smith anyday at 6.

All of the Wrs are all >170, hell Smith is 170 only while holding 10lb weights. He not a top 10 pick based on size alone. Smith only won the heisman due to Waddle getting injured. Waddle was more productive than Smith prior to his injury. You put Smith against CBs line Ramsey and he will be shut down all game. Smith is being compared to Marvin Harrison a lot. What happened when Marvin went up against a bigger CB like Ty Law, he got shut the **** down. Pushed out of bounds continually. I would pick Pitts or Sewell over Smith anyday at 6.
Jalen Ramsey is first of all probably the best CB in football. Almost everyone gets shut down by him. But Smith went up against the closest college has to Ramsey—Jaycee Horn, Derek Stingley, Shaun Wade—and he torched them all.

Waddle played all of 2019 and was nowhere near as productive as Smith. Smith led the team in receiving even over Jeudy and Ruggs. Had Waddle stayed healthy in 2020, yes, they probably split yardage and Smith doesn’t win the Heisman. Neither does Waddle. They’re just two elite WRs on the same team. But Waddle went down, everyone on Earth knew the ball was going to Smith, and they still couldn’t stop it.

Smith is in play at 8 to Carolina, 11 to the Giants, and 12 to Philly so I doubt he drops all the way to 18.

The big question I have at 18 is what do we do if we are looking at a high end offensive lineman that has dropped too us or a cornerback like Jaycee Horn. Do we actually follow BPA or do we trade back for value. That is the biggest question to me.

Back
Top Bottom