Chances of Dolphins Free Agents returning? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chances of Dolphins Free Agents returning?

No offense to you but when we give our opinion here we don't pretend we are working with the front office. People come and go when it comes to coaching, and GM. We are the fans at the end of the day here, and there are times where we are right about some things the front office did wrong. Not trying to be an *******, but people need to stop saying things like this in a forum. If there is a consensus we are not including anyone but the posters here who agree on that. Moving forward, we are not the one losing our jobs if this team sucks later they are. Teams are known to make horrible mistakes, unless that is something new to you. When we drafted Ted Ginn, Jason Allen, and x player etc. Many fans recognize there were other players available that were going to be worthy that ended up better options for other teams. Those same people that made the decision where are they? Not with this team, or in this league. Who are still here? The fans are .

I'll admit maybe I went a step to far, but "I think the forum in here is in consensus that we need to sign Corey Lindsey" as support the decision is correct. "Support," IMO, doesn't equate to "correct."
No offense taken. I agree and I express my opinions on players/staff which have been known to be wrong. I'm not a virgin prognosticator. But, I'm uncomfortable with some expressions of preferences/consensus. I can claim Flo/Grier SHOULD sign Watson, Lindsey, Jones and argue they should just cut players in alphabetical order til they get sufficient cap. Admittedly, that's extreme. Some opinions are hopes/dreams, some recognize likelihood. Neither are wrong, just variations of likelihood.
Nonetheless, my point was no one knows the status of Karras. If, in fact, Miami is making a significant effort to re-sign him and the sticking point is $5mm or $10mm, that isn't backup money and a change at OC is unlikely.
The OP is 'Chances of FAs returning.' I think Baker/Ogbah/Karras/Godchaux/Beigel/Roberts, or some combination, are most likely to return. Maybe I should say most likely to be offered contracts.

I think we're looking to keep Ted Karras and it is basically treading-water salary cap year, so his "show me" 1 year contract upgrade may be affordable. I have hope we re-sign Karras. Sanders was signed to an extension. I'm sure we're working hard to re-sign Ogbah, who we absolutely need. After that I'd say Gesicki would be next followed by Baker, and that one really depends on how we view him internally.

Gotta admit, the Van Noy release surprised me. That's one hybrid OLB/DE we need to find in the draft, and I have to wonder about trying to replace both LB's at the same time. Might make us less likely to move on from Baker ... but not really sure what it says about aggressively re-signing him either. Clearly the LB run defending was still lacking, and that's one of Baker's weak spots--although he did improve in 2020. Still, if Van Noy's 6 sacks in 13 games wasn't enough to stop us from pulling the rip cord after one year of a very lucrative 4-year guaranteed money contract ... not sure what that says about re-investing in a less productive LB looking to make bank off potential.

Hard choices. Can't really complain about the moves thus far. The FA's who came in were effective for a change. The draft picks were exceptionally young and flashed potential even if they're not the finished article yet. Coach Flo finally delivered on his reputation as a defensive coach brought in to build a dominating defense. X filled his potential. Byron Jones did his role of being a lock down CB and funneling targets towards X to allow him to become a takeaway monster. So ... I guess the front office has earned some faith from us, wouldn't you say?
The release of Van Noy surprised me as well. He was a big play guy for Miami. Van Noy won't be as easy to replace as a lot of people seem to think. I know he wasn't very good against the run and that had to factor in.

Miami obviously has something big in mind. It could be making room for Watson, just in case. Perhaps it's going after the best receiver in free agency, Robinson.

I do wonder if that opens things up a little more for a player like Parsons in the draft? Either way, we are looking at an interesting offseason and, I do agree, Grier and Flores seem to know what they are doing.

The release of Van Noy surprised me as well. He was a big play guy for Miami. Van Noy won't be as easy to replace as a lot of people seem to think. I know he wasn't very good against the run and that had to factor in.

Miami obviously has something big in mind. It could be making room for Watson, just in case. Perhaps it's going after the best receiver in free agency, Robinson.

I do wonder if that opens things up a little more for a player like Parsons in the draft? Either way, we are looking at an interesting offseason and, I do agree, Grier and Flores seem to know what they are doing.

Here's where I am. I DO NOT think Miami will release KVN, Roberts, and let Baker walk. That's unrealistic whether anyone thinks it will happen or not. I'm more inclined that's an indication Baker's contract is at least 50/50. BUT, there is an opening at LB. Is AVG the guy? Is there an opening for Parsons or another rookie? No idea, but, if Roberts is released, a rookie LB looks more likely.

Here's where I am. I DO NOT think Miami will release KVN, Roberts, and let Baker walk. That's unrealistic whether anyone thinks it will happen or not. I'm more inclined that's an indication Baker's contract is at least 50/50. BUT, there is an opening at LB. Is AVG the guy? Is there an opening for Parsons or another rookie? No idea, but, if Roberts is released, a rookie LB looks more likely.
Agree on Baker getting extended. I would keep Roberts.

If Miami goes out and signs Robinson, I think Chase and Smith would be very unlikely. But the Dolphins would still need a slot guy.

Under that scenario, I could very much see Parsons, or maybe Collins at #18.

Back
Top Bottom