Chargers want to move up!/San Diego trade (Merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chargers want to move up!/San Diego trade (Merged)

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Chargers want to move up!

I was again listening to Sirius NFL Radio yesterday when Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton came on for an interview. He is the voice of the Chargers on Radio so take this information however you want to.

http://www.xtrasports690.com/hacksaw.html

He began by saying emphatically that the Chargers were blown away by the workout of Braylon Edwards. He said that Edwards was their target and they were not going to mess around in acquiring his talent. He said AJ Smith believes that this team can win now.

Hacksaw said that the rumor flowing within the Chargers was that they were willing to offer Phillip Rivers and the number 12 pick for the number 1 overall from San Fransisco.

Then the "hitch" began to be discussed. Hacksaw implied that there was a disagreement within the Chargers between AJ Smith and Marty Shottenheimer about who the QB of the future was for their franchise. AJ Smith believes in Drew Brees.

Marty is still enamoured with the QB that he coached from the sideline of the North/South all star game in 2004. Hacksaw said that within the Chargers organization there are many doubts as to what Rivers can do in this league.

Hacksaw bemoaned the 6 million dollar bonus that the Chargers have just paid Phillip Rivers. He said that it didn't make much sense to pay that if they were not going to keep him on the roster. But then again, Rivers signed a five year contract and he's looking at the bench of year two of the contract. It doesn't look like they will be getting their value out of him anyway. The call ended on the note that the Chargers knew they had to get in front of Tampa Bay to have their choice of receivers.

Take it for what you will. I've never heard anything from this guy (Hacksaw Hamilton). He may just be a rumor monger in the offseason. It just reinforced my belief that no matter the talent pool within the draft there will always some kind of opportunity to trade down. It's a beauty contest. I guess the question is "How pretty is Miss Michigan?" :lol:

Well Miamis looking to trade down...so sounds like a match made in heaven

With those two picks i'd take

#12 - Derrick Johnson LB Texas

#28 - Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin

Buddwalk said:
Well Miamis looking to trade down...so sounds like a match made in heaven

With those two picks i'd take

#12 - Derrick Johnson LB Texas

#28 - Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin

read the post, their offering rivers and the number 12. no way in hell would i take the #12 and a late first rounder.

Surferosa said:
Id take Philip Rivers and the #12!
Rivers and the #12? Who's available at #12? If you look at both sides of the ball, we need an impact player more at RB, then at WR, then at QB. Rivers may make an impact, but not this year. IMO, to come out of the draft with anything less than an impact player on offense is a bit of a waste of THE #2 PICK overall. Look at the best QB's in the NFL now - what round were they drafted in? Look at the best RB's in the NFL - what round were they drafted in?

I'd rather stay at #2 and take Brown.

I'd take it, and then try and unload feely for a 5th.

Rivers would have one more year to learn a offense, and nobody here would object to taking the BPA with Rivers onboard.

Count me in as a Hacksaw groupie... He comes on out here at 3:00 everyday and goes off on all the NFL rumors. He's actually more accurate with the Raiders than the Chargers simply because he tends to "embellish" a lot of the Chargers rumors.

If the Chargers are going to try to trade up before the draft, then they almost have to trade with the Niners... because if they deal with you guys instead, then they bascially give somebody an open invitation to trade up and take Edwards at #1 (this happened to the Raiders several years ago when they traded up to #2 thinking they were going to get Orlando Pace only to watch the Rams trade up to #1 and get him).

Though for what it's worth, I think to go from #12 to #1 or #2, the Chargers are going to have to offer a more proven player... like Drew Brees. ;)

hmm...ok heres what i'd do

Take the deal

at #12 - Derrick Johnson LB

then screw the rest cause we win

SoCal Raider said:
Count me in as a Hacksaw groupie... He comes on out here at 3:00 everyday and goes off on all the NFL rumors. He's actually more accurate with the Raiders than the Chargers simply because he tends to "embellish" a lot of the Chargers rumors.

If the Chargers are going to try to trade up before the draft, then they almost have to trade with the Niners... because if they deal with you guys instead, then they bascially give somebody an open invitation to trade up and take Edwards at #1 (this happened to the Raiders several years ago when they traded up to #2 thinking they were going to get Orlando Pace only to watch the Rams trade up to #1 and get him).

Though for what it's worth, I think to go from #12 to #1 or #2, the Chargers are going to have to offer a more proven player... like Drew Brees. ;)

So how long has Hacksaw been floating this rumor? Have you heard it before out there on the West Coast?

bakedmatt said:
ugh. rivers is not the answer.

According to everything I've heard or read, Rivers is "more prepared" than Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

As a matter of fact, as I've heard it.......

Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and JP Losman are more prepared for the NFL than Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

ZOD said:
So how long has Hacksaw been floating this rumor? Have you heard it before out there on the West Coast?
This rumor has been running around for over a week out here... but again, Hacksaw tends to embellish quite a bit when it comes to the Chargers. He had you guys trading Surtain for one of the Chargers first rounders over a month ago...

I really don't think Hacksaw has any legitimate inside info on this one.

SoCal Raider said:
I really don't think Hacksaw has any legitimate inside info on this one.

Thanx.....errr...uhh......I think?!?!

:nate: :wall: :boohoo: :ban: :hide:

san diego trade...

...it could be that Williamson or Clayton (both WR's) and Alex Barron are all available around the #12. So, what if (and this is just idle chatter anyway, so what the heck) you can deal Surtain to KC for their 2nd round choice. Then you trade our #2 to SD for Rivers and their #12 (maybe you could get them to throw in another late round pick, and with Gates making noise about holding out, they may be willing, but that would be be gravy). You end up with Rivers, the #12 overall (which you use to pick up Williamson, Clayton or Barron) and the #46 overall (which you use to get a RB, and at that point you still have some guys what are good picks at that point - Barber, Arrington, Fason, SHELTON) in exchange for the #2 overall and Surtain.:confused: Complicated post, I know, but as everything being posted, this is all food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom