Charlie Garner | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charlie Garner

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
I heard on the local radio station out here in the Bay Area that Charlie Garner has voided the final year of his contract with the Raiders and will be an UFA come March. How does this affect the Dolphins? Well, for one, it opens another big hole for the Raiders who are in need of just about every position now. Perhaps Oakland decides to pick a running back with their first pick? I doubt it but with Norv having tons of holes to fill in Oakland, perhaps Al Davis will break tradition and trade down to try and gain more picks by giving up the second overall.

If this were to happen, I would think it would be in Miami's best interest to perhaps give up their first this year and the first next year to grab the number two spot. There, we would be assured, Manning or Big Ben.

Also, off topic, but I went over to the main NFL page on ESPN.com and they had a nice little video game rendition of the undefeated Dolphins verse the modern day Pats. In the end, the Dolphins put the game away to stay undefeated on the shoulders of LArry and Mercury. :D It was good to see ESPN not get caught up with the current champ and just crown them automatic best team ever status.

you think we could get the #2? im not sure we have enough value to cough up to the faders to snag it. i hope so, but idk.

It is purely hypothetical. I doubt we could too, even if we had enough to offer, other teams have more. I was just merely throwing it out there to let it be known I suppose. Traditionally Al Davis doesn't trade down, however, my speculation is that they have so many holes to fill, that they may decide to try and pick up more draft picks by trading down and therefore fill holes with a lot of quality guys rather than fill A hole with one GREAT guy.

I don't buy that we don't have enough to offer though. I would think a package of our first this year, our third this year and a first next would do it in a heartbeat. I am not suggesting we do that but I think anything is doable if you get creative enough.

I'd have to say that this whole thought process is a total reach. You have to remember that, not only do the Raiders desperately need a top notch receiver and all indications are that they are quite enamoured with Fitzgerald, but they also grabbed Justin Fargas last year in the third round. Fargas was a guy who was projected by some as a first round talent but, due to his injury history, he fell a bit. That means that the Raiders simply didn't need Garner anymore as they already have their RB of the future on their current roster.

Cranx, living in the Bay Area, I am exposed to Raider football, constantly. Now, I don't no Norv's thought process on Vargas or anyone else on the team currently, but all indications BEFORE Norv was hired was that Vargas was to still be considered as a complimentary player. The Raiders use a plethora of backs ( Garner, Wheatley, Crockett, Vargas, and a few other youngster I cannot remember right now). With Garner voiding his contract, it puts the Raiders in a bind with their running scheme. I imagine they will not pick a running back if they stand pat, as I have also heard the Fitzgerald talk.

Again, I was merely throwing the scenario out there, plus I wanted to get the story of Miami beating the Pats on ESPN's video game on the main board :D .

They still have Fargas who can probaly start for them who they just recently drafted. They might just stick to him and pick a qb or Fitzgerald. He did a good job last year in preseason and in the little action he got during the season.

Well, as we al know preseason really isn't the best sign to see how a player does. A lot of backup players look outstanding while playing aginst fringe players and camp fodder. Also, you have to remember that the defensive schemes are plainer than vanilla. He might blossom into something, I know Norv probably won't be using the running back by commitee deal that Callahan seemed to love ( and to a lesser extent, Gruden), so perhaps he does get a chance to compete for the starting spot.

I don't know, I just feel I guess, that if I were the Raiders and loked at my team objectively, I would see they need a lot of help and think about trading down some to get more picks, or trade for a player and picks. Just me though....

Originally posted by Samphin
Cranx, living in the Bay Area, I am exposed to Raider football, constantly. Now, I don't no Norv's thought process on Vargas or anyone else on the team currently, but all indications BEFORE Norv was hired was that Vargas was to still be considered as a complimentary player. The Raiders use a plethora of backs ( Garner, Wheatley, Crockett, Vargas, and a few other youngster I cannot remember right now). With Garner voiding his contract, it puts the Raiders in a bind with their running scheme. I imagine they will not pick a running back if they stand pat, as I have also heard the Fitzgerald talk.

Again, I was merely throwing the scenario out there, plus I wanted to get the story of Miami beating the Pats on ESPN's video game on the main board :D .

It's Fargas bro, not "Vargas," and I know you live up there but I live here in SoCal and got to see Fargas play during his days with USC and he certainly has all of the physical tools to become a top back in the NFL.

In the limited action he received during the season he showed some serious flashes and could well be the Faiders feature back next season assuming he can stay healthy. One thing you have to remember about this guy is the fact that he was the #1 rated RB coming out of HS and was set to be Michigan's star RB before he broke his leg and did some other damage that kept him out for the better part of two years. Once he transferred to USC he still had to recover from the injury but, in the one year that he actually played, he showed everyone why he was so highly thought of coming out of high school.

RB is the least of the Gayturds worries right now, they need a QB, WR, DE, OL, and possibly DB help. While trading down might not be a terrible option for them, it's pretty hard to imagine that they'd pass on a guy like Fitzgerald.

Back
Top Bottom