Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft

Imagine if they land Ja'Marr Chase and Javonte Williams. The offenses physicality factor will have increased by a factor of 10 (yes, hyperbole, I know) ;)
This franchise and being physical have rarely went hand in hand. But that would be a nice pairing.

This franchise and being physical have rarely went hand in hand. But that would be a nice pairing.

Eh, they had an entire decade of being one of the most physical teams, both offensively and defensively, in the 70's.

And during this millennium we've seen the likes of Lamar Smith, Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Jay Ajayi, Jamie Nails, Richie Incognito, Jarvis Landry, etc. that were very physical. Lots of defensive players that were too.

So I think "rarely" is over the top. But they certainly could use an infusion of it now, offensively anyway.

Ja'Marr Chase is Amari Cooper. He's not 6'3", 225 like Terrell Owens or any of those comparisons.

Smitty is something I'm just not sure I've seen in a very long time - somewhere between a Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice. Best sideline runner I've ever seen combined with being the toughest and most dependable over the middle. Nobody can separate like that kid. He changes directions and has the acceleration of someone that's 5'7".

I always have an answer for everybody. But after 4 years I'm still trying to figure out DeVonta Smith. I just don't have an answer. Never seen anything like it. He doesn't even make sudden movements or try very hard like Jerry Jeudy did. Smitty just glides all over the field and there's nobody that can stay with him.

I"ve looked at his routes closely. I just don't have an answer. It's like he's playing on a different field than everybody else. No reason he should be THAT open all the time. Not against the amount of press and bracket coverage he sees.

Don't get me wrong at all, Chase is a better prospect than Parker ever was. Has much more in the toolbox. And arguably is just as good as Devonta Smith if not better.
I disagree...

Parker was just as unstoppable at Louisville (shortened season) as Chase was at LSU.

Ja'Marr Chase is Amari Cooper. He's not 6'3", 225 like Terrell Owens or any of those comparisons.

Smitty is something I'm just not sure I've seen in a very long time - somewhere between a Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice. Best sideline runner I've ever seen combined with being the toughest and most dependable over the middle. Nobody can separate like that kid. He changes directions and has the acceleration of someone that's 5'7".

I always have an answer for everybody. But after 4 years I'm still trying to figure out DeVonta Smith. I just don't have an answer. Never seen anything like it. He doesn't even make sudden movements or try very hard like Jerry Jeudy did. Smitty just glides all over the field and there's nobody that can stay with him.

I"ve looked at his routes closely. I just don't have an answer. It's like he's playing on a different field than everybody else. No reason he should be THAT open all the time. Not against the amount of press and bracket coverage he sees.
Pretty much this. Smith's route running/ability to create space is the best I may have ever seen in college. Reminds we of watching a great PG in basketball when they make a crossover/juke and you say to yourself damn he just broke that dudes ankles.

I also just don't understand when people say well I am concerned because he is always open. Ok isn't that what you want a WR to do? It is not just Bama or their schemes that allow Smith to get that open. Bama has put 1st round WRs in the NFL every year and none of them created none if them have created consent seperation at the level Smith has.

I get that some people worry about his size. Which to me may be a concern if he played in the MAC and was beating up on non NFL type athletes. But he did it in the SEC not only that he didn't just fill up the stat sheet against lower SEC teams. He abused teams like GA,LSU, FLA, ect. Those teams are full of high NFL pick DBs, the same guys he will be playing against on Sundays.

Is Smith comparable to DeSean Jackson?

Is Smith comparable to DeSean Jackson?
No not at all really. Jackson was a short speedy guy.

Smith while not a blazing fast guy probably 4.4-4.5 speed just plays the game fast and good height at 6'1 and good arm length. His weight is the only real knock. But he makes up for it in precise route running and his overall knowledge of how to play the WR position.

Best comparisons I think is Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce. Not the biggest or fastest guys but play at a high football speed because of their smarts and amazing route running.

Coming into the season, I had Chase over Smith. But Smith was uncoverable this year. When Waddle went down, he just continued to produce. Separation, toughness, great route running, speed, hands, winning contested throws. Smith has it all. Add in that he played with Tua and Smith seems like the perfect fit for Miami.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed with Chase. I think he ends up falling somewhere between Michael Irvin and Larry Fitzgerald, which is saying I believe he will be a star.

Smith is elite at getting separation and has elite hands. Those two traits are far and away the most important for an NFL WR. He also has physical traits that people seem to rarely recognize. Per reports (we'll get more specifics if we get actual combine measurements), he has abnormally long arms and abnormally large hands for his frame. So even though he's listed as 6'1" his arm length gives him the catch radius of a 6'4" - 6'5" guy. He also has sneaky speed b/c his relatively long strides hide his speed. I expect that he'll run in the 4.4s but his stride length and smoothness makes it look like he glides almost effortlessly. That deceptive speed coupled with elite route running helps him get deep regularly. Elite separation, elite hands and an elite catch radius make him an almost impossible cover.

Chase, D. Smith, and Waddle are all elite prospects. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I personally prefer them in the order I posted, but I'd be thrilled to get any here.

What's your answer for Waddle?

I don't think Smitty has any weaknesses in his game.

I thought Chase was the #1 receiver last year in college football, but him not playing for a year does concern me.

Back
Top Bottom