Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft

Ja'Marr Chase is Amari Cooper. He's not 6'3", 225 like Terrell Owens or any of those comparisons.

Smitty is something I'm just not sure I've seen in a very long time - somewhere between a Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice. Best sideline runner I've ever seen combined with being the toughest and most dependable over the middle. Nobody can separate like that kid. He changes directions and has the acceleration of someone that's 5'7".

I always have an answer for everybody. But after 4 years I'm still trying to figure out DeVonta Smith. I just don't have an answer. Never seen anything like it. He doesn't even make sudden movements or try very hard like Jerry Jeudy did. Smitty just glides all over the field and there's nobody that can stay with him.

I"ve looked at his routes closely. I just don't have an answer. It's like he's playing on a different field than everybody else. No reason he should be THAT open all the time. Not against the amount of press and bracket coverage he sees.

It seems you are saying he's generational talent & being diplomatic about it.

Smith is elite at getting separation and has elite hands. Those two traits are far and away the most important for an NFL WR. He also has physical traits that people seem to rarely recognize. Per reports (we'll get more specifics if we get actual combine measurements), he has abnormally long arms and abnormally large hands for his frame. So even though he's listed as 6'1" his arm length gives him the catch radius of a 6'4" - 6'5" guy. He also has sneaky speed b/c his relatively long strides hide his speed. I expect that he'll run in the 4.4s but his stride length and smoothness makes it look like he glides almost effortlessly. That deceptive speed coupled with elite route running helps him get deep regularly. Elite separation, elite hands and an elite catch radius make him an almost impossible cover.
When you mentioned arm length another thing he does because of this has nothing to do with catching. Think about what they always look for in a LT, feet and length. They always talk about the LT using his arm lenght to keep the DE from getting into his body, hard to knock a guy of balance getting into his body. Watch Smith against man press coverage. He uses his arm length to keep the DB from getting into his body then sheds off the DB and is gone. So often you see the DB end up of balance because he fails to get into Smith's body. At that point well the DB is already burnt from the start.

The question I have is based on Tua's strengths (accuracy and quick release) which receiver would be a best fit for his style?

Let's put aside the fact that Smith has played with Tua and assume both receivers would be new to Tua.

I am still in the Chase ahead of Smith camp so i will go with Chase.

But there are a lot of good WR's in this class.Close to a dozen i would be happy adding to the Fins WR group.

If they can trade down from #3 and add some more picks I would be serious about taking more than one in the first 3 rounds.

Why would anyone want Cooks? He has already been with 3 teams which tells you those coaching staffs dont think very highly of him.
He is always hurt. His hands are average. He has never shown toughness trying to get extra yards.
A lower cost WR that is much better value would be Curtis Samuel.

I would almost bet the Fins draft Sewell at #3 then try to trade up from #18 to get Waddle.

The question I have is based on Tua's strengths (accuracy and quick release) which receiver would be a best fit for his style?

Let's put aside the fact that Smith has played with Tua and assume both receivers would be new to Tua.
It would be a WR who gets quick separation. That is arguably what Smith does the best and arguably the weakest part of Chase's game. IMO it's debateable as to which WR is better in the abstract, but as to which WR is better for Miami, it's Smith and I don't think it's close.

Why would anyone want Cooks? He has already been with 3 teams which tells you those coaching staffs dont think very highly of him.
He is always hurt. His hands are average. He has never shown toughness trying to get extra yards.
A lower cost WR that is much better value would be Curtis Samuel.

I would almost bet the Fins draft Sewell at #3 then try to trade up from #18 to get Waddle.

yeah hard pass on cooks

Need good route runners for Tua. Like you mentioned release and accuracy but also anticipation. He is good at throwing the ball before a WR makes his break. But that takes good route guys and trust. JJ and Smith where his best WRs at Bama, both known as very good route runners.

When you watch the tape of all these receivers, none can separate the way Smitty does. He's playing a different game out there. But even when he's covered he still makes the catch when things get physical or when the throw requires adjustment. His hands are too strong and too consistent. Furthermore, he's adjusting to the ball while the DB is still trying to figure out exactly where Smitty is.

The separation the others get is all comparable to each other. If you're looking for receivers that catch the ball when they're covered because they have to - it don't get much better than Rashod Bateman, Ja'Marr Chase, Trevon Grimes, Tylan Wallace, Nico Collins, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Simi Fehoko, Seth Williams. They're all comparable.

It’s hard to not like an amari cooper talent as a prospect. I don’t know that chase is that good a route runner but he must have similar short area quicks to do some of the damage at the top of routes he does. I just don’t see real top end speed there. I mean maybe 4.48 to 4.53 Id project. Anquan boldin like strength with the ball in his hands. Guys fall off his shoulders a lot.

little bit of cooper little bit of boldin little bit of keenan Allen imo

It’s hard to not like an amari cooper talent as a prospect. I don’t know that chase is that good a route runner but he must have similar short area quicks to do some of the damage at the top of routes he does. I just don’t see real top end speed there. I mean maybe 4.48 to 4.53 Id project. Anquan boldin like strength with the ball in his hands. Guys fall off his shoulders a lot.

I just don't see how you take that over a player in Smith with elite route running and nuance.

I just don't see how you take that over a player in Smith with elite route running and nuance.

that’s a pretty good combo if that’s what you get out of the player an elevated anquan with those other players traits to boot. I’m not sure he’s gonna be the same bull with the ball boldin was but like I said guys fall off his shoulders a lot.

a two tenths faster boldin who ran what 4.7 would be a murderous player

I believe Chase does have short area quicks and is good at the top of routes. He creates leverage really well, and he sinks his hips really well. He doesn't have elite top end speed, but tracks the ball really good, and seems to have another gear with the ball in the air. He is really good at high pointing the ball as well.

I believe Chase does have short area quicks and is good at the top of routes. He creates leverage really well, and he sinks his hips really well. He doesn't have elite top end speed, but tracks the ball really good, and seems to have another gear with the ball in the air. He is really good at high pointing the ball as well.

feels like an undersell at play for sure. That’s a true sophomore that’s shedding folks like that and he can stack guys vertical off the los and torch cats too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom