Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase is the Alpha WR in the draft

feels like an undersell at play for sure. That’s a true sophomore that’s shedding folks like that and he can stack guys vertical off the los and torch cats too
Chase seems like he is good at getting into the defenders blind spot. He really high points the ball, and I don't see people mention his vertical jump ability. He is listed at like 6' or 6'1" but plays bigger than that.

Chase seems like he is good at getting into the defenders blind spot. He really high points the ball, and I don't see people mention his vertical jump ability. He is listed at like 6' or 6'1" but plays bigger than that.

the athlete doesn’t look great to me but I agree that knack for the blind spot can’t be taught

I should say the athlete doesn’t look top 5 pick worthy to me. Those guys are usually freaks

I’ve got Chase as my 5th best WR. He’s also not that fast or physical. I think he can be a good WR, but I don’t think he will ever be great. Also don’t like his attitude and approach to football. Def not a top 15 pick IMO.

Ja'Marr Chase is Amari Cooper. He's not 6'3", 225 like Terrell Owens or any of those comparisons.

Your taking the TO comparison too literally. He plays physically like Anquan Bolden and Terrell Owens — which is why the comparison was made. Of course his size isn’t the same as Owens. But he does share many of the same abilities. He’s fast, physical and can high point. Smith can do many of the same things Chase can, but clearly they are stylistically different.

Clearly you and I see Smitty very much the same. You just dropped the same Harrison-Rice comparison I’ve been making for a while.

Not that he’ll every be those players, but his skill set, smoothness, and sleek gazelle like movements are what reminds me of the two. Also his phenomenal hands and ability to get open.

Love both players but Smith just looks like the best fit to me.

Last edited:
No not at all really. Jackson was a short speedy guy.

Smith while not a blazing fast guy probably 4.4-4.5 speed just plays the game fast and good height at 6'1 and good arm length. His weight is the only real knock. But he makes up for it in precise route running and his overall knowledge of how to play the WR position.

Best comparisons I think is Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce. Not the biggest or fastest guys but play at a high football speed because of their smarts and amazing route running.
I agree. Smith is Marvin Harrison. I'd say Chase is similar to Michael Crabtree...a bit more speed (we'll see at LSUs pro day.)

Smith is the most QB friendly WR I can remember...hes always coming back to the ball. Chase catches better against good CBs than anyone i can remember. He abused Clemson CB who went rd 1 and Diggs from Bama drafted in rd 2. And he was just 19.

I'd prefer Chase but would gladly take Smith...just not at 3!

that’s a pretty good combo if that’s what you get out of the player an elevated anquan with those other players traits to boot. I’m not sure he’s gonna be the same bull with the ball boldin was but like I said guys fall off his shoulders a lot.

a two tenths faster boldin who ran what 4.7 would be a murderous player
100%!

Would Love Either. Like most, I'm a little concerned about Smith, but the Pedigree is Top-Shelf. He looks like a Harrison Clone to Me (a GREAT thing). Chase is just...BEAST!!! I Love the idea of landing Sewell too, but We HAVE TO LAND Chase or Smith. I absolutely LOVE Our TE's, but Grant, Ford, Bowden? Not Good Enough. Give Me Park, Chase/Smith, and Fuller...I'd Be Ecstatic!!! Either Way...It's Fun as Hell talking about it. Stay Safe My 'Fin Brothers!!!

Imagine if they land Ja'Marr Chase and Javonte Williams. The offenses physicality factor will have increased by a factor of 10 (yes, hyperbole, I know) ;)

I don’t hate this. Winning in the AFC East on the road in December is not for finesse teams. As much as I love the slim reaper, I’m starting to lean this way.

I’ve got Chase as my 5th best WR. He’s also not that fast or physical. I think he can be a good WR, but I don’t think he will ever be great. Also don’t like his attitude and approach to football. Def not a top 15 pick IMO.

So could you elaborate on his attitude? This is what I’ve been trying to figure out.

I don’t hate this. Winning in the AFC East on the road in December is not for finesse teams. As much as I love the slim reaper, I’m starting to lean this way.

I like Devonta Smith. A lot. He’s who I’d select.

That said, I can’t argue with what you said. Not one bit. I’d be very ok if MIA ended up with both those players.

I agree. Smith is Marvin Harrison. I'd say Chase is similar to Michael Crabtree...a bit more speed (we'll see at LSUs pro day.)

Smith is the most QB friendly WR I can remember...hes always coming back to the ball. Chase catches better against good CBs than anyone i can remember. He abused Clemson CB who went rd 1 and Diggs from Bama drafted in rd 2. And he was just 19.

I'd prefer Chase but would gladly take Smith...just not at 3!
I like that Chase was only 19 b/c that leaves development potential, but I see his performance against top CBs as mixed. CK posted reviews and gifs with Chase against the top CB prospects and he was less successful than Smith against similar competition. What I saw is that when Chase is shut down it's when he tries to win on quick routes. He just isn't great at getting early separation. Chase is best at the top of the stem and winning 50/50 balls (basically what we get with Parker). Smith is elite at getting that early separation. That why he was better against the CBs that were able to contain Chase. And that is what all the next gen stats say Miami's WRs are the worst at. I like both Chase and Smith as general NFL prospects quite a bit, but as Miami prospects, Smith is a far better fit even before you consider his connection with Tua.

Before Waddle got hurt he was considered by some to be the better prospect over Smith.
Sewell at #3 and Waddle at #18 is ideal. They might need to trade up to get him earlier though.

Back
Top Bottom