Chicken Little and Boy Who Cired Wolves, please help me to understand. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chicken Little and Boy Who Cired Wolves, please help me to understand.

No... Im ranting about the Fins inability to focus on building even one aspect of playing football great... Instead throwing darts with no direction whatsoever. Anwser me this simple question: What good is having the top 2 paid corners in the league if you dont expect to be at least middle of the pack at scoring points?

I don't think they're throwing darts. I think the plan is to have this team ready to contend for a playoff run next year, and the two CB signings have been done with that in mind...and drafting Iggy was part of that as well.

If it doesn't work? X's contract is easily dumped after 2021. At that point, hopefully Iggy takes over his position.
If that doesn't work? Jones's contract is easily dumped after 2022.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that done on a continual basis with this regime; drafting CBs/Safeties/Hybrids and signing contracts if necessary. If there's one place the Pats always spent money and resources, it's in their secondary.

Last edited:
There is a cult of misery here at FH, and there are times that I just have to log out for a few weeks or months. Some of our brethren are just not happy unless they are angry, or better yet, indignant that things have not gone exactly as they wanted.
Every prognosticator said we'd likely lose those first two games, and yet... the same whiny posters as always are here to scream and cry when we actually do.

Honestly, I wonder if these guys would be secretly upset if we did win another superbowl? Hell... they wouldn't be able to tell us how much smarter they are than everybody else anymore.

Being a cynic is easy... but doesn't being THAT negative destroy your soul?

I have always said...it's much, much easier to point a finger at any player in the NFL and say "that player will fail," and then gloat, as opposed to predicting and championing a player's success.

I have always said...it's much, much easier to point a finger at any player in the NFL and say "that player will fail," and then gloat, as opposed to predicting and championing a player's success.

Let alone find a person who will say "welp I was wrong that dude is solid".

The heck you say? The Patriots literally had a top 10 offense every single year of Brady's career besides 2003 and 2019. (They were 12th in 2003).

In their 1st 3 SB wins the pass defense allowed 1045 yards 7 TD's and had 5 ints. From 1966-2003 the 29 points the pats defense gave up to the Panthers was the 2nd most points given up by a SB winning defense only the 1978 Steelers gave up more. From 1966-2004 the 21 points they gave up to the Eagles was 6th most by a SB winning defense.

The offense scored 32 and 24 in their SB wins vs the Panthers and Eagles that's good for 28 ppg which woulda been a top 5 offense last year. I'd say thats putting up points.
You right. I guess my hatred of New England clouded my view of them retroactively back when I was continually telling myself that Brady was more lucky than good.

Regardless, I still don't understand how needing an offense factors into a secondary being effective or not. Sure, if you're behind big and the other team stops having to throw your secondary is pretty pointless, but how is that any different than saying being able stop the run is useless at the beginning of a game because the other team can still pass a lot and can just ignore the run or a pass rush is worthless when the opposing team is up big and doesn't have to pass anymore as well? If your secondary is really good, it makes it so that the other team does not get ahead big from passing in the first place which keeps the game closer to your "lesser" offense.

Analytics is analytics and that's not some interpretation of events. Teams with better secondaries on average win more than teams with better pass rush. That's objectively factual. How you (not you, but previous posters) decide to tie offense into that turns it into a subjective argument at that point.

Nnamdi had a decline, but he was far from the reason why that team dropped to .500. Anywho, it did get Big Red to KC where he was able to build upon the pieces left for him. And it did net a SB eventually for the Eagles.

But that team went all in with FAs, ala Redskins, and got the results they deserved.

I wasn't laying al the blame on NNamdi. I was just making an observation that he went from all-world to above average/average. It seemed like he had no heart by the time he suited up for Philly. It was inexplicable. If i recall correctly, that team also brought in Ronnie Brown, Rodgers-Cromartie, Steve Smith (from the Giants), and Vince Young (to backup Vick).

We forget that Tannihill led the league in QB hits and sacks his first 4 years here because we couldn't/wouldn't protect him. The fact that he's still in the league is commendable, much less him being very competitive with a 'team' around him. He is no Brady, but he fought for his team while he was here.
Yes, we signed two guys to 'set the edge and get a pass rush' and they appear to be stiffs out there, but that was the fastest way to get there. Next draft (there's that da*m Grier again) we need a PR/LB and some real speed on the outside for Tua, assuming he won't be broken by next year.
My point? It wasn't going to happen this year anyway much less in the first two games.

Are the Miami Dolphins the only team who didn't have preseason games? I keep seeing this "no preseason" thing. Our opponents didn't have preseason, and the Patriots had a brand new qb
And we lost 2 close games, already an improvement over last year.

What’s really frustrating is when the “we suck” and “I told you so” clubs come out of the woodwork it bogs down the site to the point where the guys who post regularly can’t post. It’s always when we lose or are losing.
I never realized how many experts & NFL superior GM's there are out there (Snicker "wHoops") until FH after a loss.

You right. I guess my hatred of New England clouded my view of them retroactively back when I was continually telling myself that Brady was more lucky than good.

Regardless, I still don't understand how needing an offense factors into a secondary being effective or not. Sure, if you're behind big and the other team stops having to throw your secondary is pretty pointless, but how is that any different than saying being able stop the run is useless at the beginning of a game because the other team can still pass a lot and can just ignore the run or a pass rush is worthless when the opposing team is up big and doesn't have to pass anymore as well? If your secondary is really good, it makes it so that the other team does not get ahead big from passing in the first place which keeps the game closer to your "lesser" offense.

Analytics is analytics and that's not some interpretation of events. Teams with better secondaries on average win more than teams with better pass rush. That's objectively factual. How you (not you, but previous posters) decide to tie offense into that turns it into a subjective argument at that point.
I think you have a misconception about analytics.

It isn't nearly as straightforward as you state.

"Having a passrush" or not, is way too much of a simplification. It's not an either or proposition. Even if you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, it still becomes subjective, and that doesn't even to take into account strength of the opponent, where those opponents strengths lie, score differential, opponents QB efficiency, etc.

While analytics have an extremely valuable place, and are great for generalities, specific situations, not so much.

I'm not argueing your premise either way, just pointing out that once you go deeper than directly comparable statistical "facts", analytics become, to one extent or another, nebulous and subjective.

Statisticians can look at the exact same data set, and arrive at far different conclusions.

If it were just a matter of mathematicians crunching numbers, and getting the answer that 2+2=4, that would not be the case. There are entirely too many variables to make blanket statements.

Now, if you told me the raw data showed a 4 game difference, thats a lot more conclusive. 1 game is only a 6% deviation. Not conclusive enough to make it fact, given the high number of variables across 32 teams, IMO.

I never realized how many experts & NFL superior GM's there are out there (Snicker "wHoops") until FH after a loss.
Perhaps you should read the forums of the other teams around the league after their team loses. You would quickly realize that their fans are no different than FH posters. Of course the Dolphins have been basically irrelevant for most of the last two decades so the frustration on here just continues to grow with each loss. Personally I have accepted that last year and this year are part of the rebuilding process so I have tried to not be
negative in regards to the losses this season. I am disappointed in the play of the defense so far but hopefully they will improve over the course of the season.

I enjoy the comments of the posters who remain positive and I respect the views of those who are upset with the Dolphins. This is merely a forum to express opinions whether these opinions are positive or negative. The comments don’t affect the play on the field, the coaching or decisions made by Ross. So I certainly don’t get upset with anyone who might have a different viewpoint than mine.

no doubt. Trust me I’ve been here since 2002 and they’re aren’t many. If the site had it there way Pat Devlin would have been starting at one point. Hahahaha!!

Perhaps you should read the forums of the other teams around the league after their team loses. You would quickly realize that their fans are no different than FH posters. Of course the Dolphins have been basically irrelevant for most of the last two decades so the frustration on here just continues to grow with each loss. Personally I have accepted that last year and this year are part of the rebuilding process so I have tried to not be
negative in regards to the losses this season. I am disappointed in the play of the defense so far but hopefully they will improve over the course of the season.

I enjoy the comments of the posters who remain positive and I respect the views of those who are upset with the Dolphins. This is merely a forum to express opinions whether these opinions are positive or negative. The comments don’t affect the play on the field, the coaching or decisions made by Ross. So I certainly don’t get upset with anyone who might have a different viewpoint than mine.
You want some real entertainment?

Listen to some Jets sports talk radio, or troll a Jets forum.

They make Phins fans look tame in comparison

no doubt. Trust me I’ve been here since 2002 and they’re aren’t many. If the site had it there way Pat Devlin would have been starting at one point. Hahahaha!!

The site woulda had Pat Devlin starting...the experts drafted Chad Henne and John Beck. It's a good thing we had those experts to make expert decisions the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom