Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

I'd take James (biased alert) - but I'd be thrilled with those picks.

I’d be happy with each of the three. I think James would be my first choice. He’s got potential to be a game changer. So I’ll go:

1)James
2)Smith
3) Nelson

I like James but there's definitely bust potential with him, based on how he was used, Roy Williams is the comp.

That’s an odd comp for me. I don’t think Roy Williams could ever cover slots didn’t have the fluidity. Don’t think he has James top end speed either. If he did it was in a straight line

I think James may drop late 4.4s

But miami has to think more than just strong safety role if it adds James

I’m a firm believer that 6 foot and 230 at lb won’t go top 10 in Roquans case. I’m gonna need to see 235 and 4.5s if he’s coming in around 6 foot for that to change

I don’t think Nelson’s gonna test athletically well enough to carry a top 10 grade. But then again if he’s 6 foot 5 and 330 he may not have to

Last edited:
I very much like D. James and use McDonald as cover LB. Does it make sense?

This.

Was just speaking to someone who had spoken with a source at FSU program last week and the source said Derwin was the most alpha player they've had in maybe two decades. Said, "Derwin talks, everyone listen. Even coaches."
I've been sold on James for a while now, but this seals the deal. That is Exactly what we need.

I very much like D. James and use McDonald as cover LB. Does it make sense?
I think it kind of makes sense the other way around. There isn't a single player in this draft who's better suited to shut down opposing TE's in the pass game. To me that's where his real value lies for us... we've struggled to cover TE's, RB's and anything over the middle really for Years and James is the perfect player to make all of that come to an end. Now with that being said Roquan will be a very good player in this league and would be good at doing those things also, but James is the pick for me in this scenerio by a good margin.

I'm in favor of the BPA at 11.

My preferences are:

1) G - Nelson
2) LB- Smith Exception: (If the FO feels that Smith has a noticeable edge over Nelson at BPA, I would reverse my first two choices)
3) S - James (Based on my criteria, he would be out of the running at pick 11 unless he was seen as the only BPA at that pick )

I realize that there may be three or four players that the FO feel have about equal BPA ratings at each pick in the draft. If the BPA ratings are equal I'd go with an offensive lineman, but if there is a noticeable edge in favor of a defensive player I'd go for a defensive back. The proposed possibilities would leave two defensive backs, a safety or a linebacker. I would select the one that would improve our team the most. Of those two positions I would go with the linebacker. This is because I feel that defensively we are weakest at the linebacker positions(both skill and depth) and are currently fairly competent at the safety and corner positions, depending on how the defense is set up.

Ward in 1.5 seconds. Dude is going to be a star. Move up and get him. I understand he is off the board in your post , but we truly need this guy.

That’s an odd comp for me. I don’t think Roy Williams could ever cover slots didn’t have the fluidity. Don’t think he has James top end speed either. If he did it was in a straight line

I think James may drop late 4.4s

But miami has to think more than just strong safety role if it adds James

I’m a firm believer that 6 foot and 230 at lb won’t go top 10 in Roquans case. I’m gonna need to see 235 and 4.5s if he’s coming in around 6 foot for that to change

I don’t think Nelson’s gonna test athletically well enough to carry a top 10 grade. But then again if he’s 6 foot 5 and 330 he may not have to

I agree they're two different types of athletes but I was thinking from the way they're being used, I think James set a record with number snaps lined up on the LOS.

Honestly I think u will see those type of numbers, I'd be shocked if he isn't a 4.5 guy.

U may right on Nelson as far as speed and redirect testing but I expect him to have good explosive testing and if thats the case unless ur a ZBS heavy team, I think he can crack top 15.

I agree they're two different types of athletes but I was thinking from the way they're being used, I think James set a record with number snaps lined up on the LOS.

Honestly I think u will see those type of numbers, I'd be shocked if he isn't a 4.5 guy.

U may right on Nelson as far as speed and redirect testing but I expect him to have good explosive testing and if thats the case unless ur a ZBS heavy team, I think he can crack top 15.

For comparisons sake scherf I believe was 6 foot 4 and 306 Nelson’s a monster if he’s 6 foot 5 and 330.

You will be willing to sacrifice some athlete for that kind of premium size I’d say. He’s murder in the run game but not as technically or foot gifted as Zach martin. And not a scherf foot or athlete either

I’d say worst case derwin runs lows 4.5s. But I’m not drafting him if he’s not plan a carry coverage on size at tight end.

If the scheme doesn’t allow for it then I pass considering what I already have in house.

I don’t think any of these lbs are gonna carry coverage vs top level athlete tight ends with size either. There aren’t many true pure high level cover lbs in the nfl. Teams just try to put athletes on them at lb to limit the exposure and scheme everything else.

For instance how do you think Roquan at 6 foot and 230 is gonna defend the ball above his head to tight ends with high point catch radius and size?

I won’t be surprised if Roquan is on the board come pick 25. The best guy his size Lavonte David had more instincts and went what in the 2nd round? Erik Kendrick’s same thing both possessed better instincts. Poa wise I think they are all similar however the other 2 have better read and diag box skills. He will get a bump for that top level speed but top 10 at 6 foot and change and 230ish? I’ve never seen it.

Last edited:
If those are the10 guys that go first then at 11 I'd take Davenport

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom