Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

Draft Derwin James to pair with Reshad. Then all of a sudden McDonald can be a hybrid LB / S. He could help us a terrific amount in Nickle and Dime at the LB position.

I am not a fan of James at 11. He does not look like the ball hawking Free Safety we all dream of. From the 4 or 5 games I watched he is more Strong Safety or Linebacker in the Julious Peppers mold. He doesn’t take good angles, can’t seem to cover crossing routes and looks out of place the more space he is given. He seems more like an athlete playing football and doesn’t fit a need but hey I’m no expert.

I agree, James is not a FS. We need a centerfield FS like Jessie Bates III from Wake Forest.

You wouldn't take: Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Brian Dawkins, Earl Thomas, etc... in the first round?
Would I take a pro bowl safety over an average guard or LB? This is what your question really asks. My follow up question is clear... would you rather have a pro bowl linebacker or a pro bowl safety... because that' what you are thinking with a first round pick.

Your question assumes that it was obvious that your list of players were going to be good... before there was proof.

Smith will be a good player, but top 15 is to early for a player of his caliber.

Nelson isn’t a good a guard as David Decastro was and he fell until the 20tn pick to Pittsburgh.

James is a chess piece that can be used all over the field. You draft a player that’s been great everywhere he’s ever played and a freak athlete and let him ball. I see no reason he can’t cober TEs like Eric Berry can.

Roquan Smith is going to get trampled in the run game in the NFL if he doesn't get bigger and stronger. He's 6'1" 225 which is Reshad Jones' size.

Would I take a pro bowl safety over an average guard or LB? This is what your question really asks. My follow up question is clear... would you rather have a pro bowl linebacker or a pro bowl safety... because that' what you are thinking with a first round pick.

Your question assumes that it was obvious that your list of players were going to be good... before there was proof.

Not sure what to really reply to that with since it doesnt seem to align with the original post... you said you would never take a safety in the 1st round. Are those guys (or other HOFers / all-pros of years past) not worthy of a selection that high?

Nice post. Could be a realistic scenario as well.

I'd go:
1. James
2. Nelson
3. Smith

I really like all three, but Smith IMO is limited to weakside only. Plus, his size is not exactly what you're looking for. All that said, would be happy with him or any of these three.

Not sure what to really reply to that with since it doesnt seem to align with the original post... you said you would never take a safety in the 1st round. Are those guys (or other HOFers / all-pros of years past) not worthy of a selection that high?
Let me put this another way... I'd much rather have a young Larry Little than a young Ed Reed.

D. James is a no-brainer. Use either TJ or RJ as the S/LB the ability to shift for a 4-3-4 to a 4-2-5 without subbing is huge.

I've been having similar thoughts. The more I think about it the more excited I get. But I would rather have Tannehill standing up in the pocket and bigger lanes for Drake! Nelson.
Miami takes smith

The problem with James, as hoops noted, is that if you don't use him as a player to match up with TE's or big WR's (less and less of an issue tbh), he likely won't justify a top-20 pick. He blitzes well, is athletic, and he's good in man coverage. His instincts/break on the ball are alright/good enough, but I don't think they translate to a Safety that makes a significant difference in the passing game. As a matchup piece, he may. But, if your plan is to stick him in 2-deep next to Jones or single-high, he won't return the value.

James never had a year at FSU like Smith had at UGA in 2017. Smith was dominant and all but took away the entire 2nd level. If you're looking to add speed to the D, Smith is much faster relative to most LB's than James is to most Safeties. There were times he looked like he was everywhere. David and Kendricks fell to the 2nd, but both were about 2 years older leaving UCLA than Smith is UGA, and Smith looks like he'll run in the mid-to-low 4.5's (vs 4.65 and 4.61). I'm open to the idea that Miami would view him as too small, but it'd just be another example of Miami being behind the curve. Between James and Smith, I favor the younger guy whose dominant year spearheaded an elite defense.

Frankly if those are the only choices at 11 I could see a trade down. Smith is probably a WLB only (in a 4-3) and they are sticking with Kiko (stubborn). Can he cover a 6'5 or 6'6 TE in the NFL at 6 ft tall? (Hayden Hurst (6'5) went 7/93 against GA). Against Gronk?

There are some impressive guards in the lower half of round 1 and top of 2 (and the team does not value guards). I do not see this team going for a safety when we just locked two up long term. They are stubborn this way even though they are both SS's.

The only way I can see them taking a DB is if Minkah is there. If we let Landry walk there's a chance we snag Ridley if he's there. Edmunds is a fit at SLB.

Adam Gase is foaming at the mount to get this offense on track so I wouldn't be surprised to see the first two picks on WR and TE.

I could see hurst at 43 but I think you are looking at an h back game skill set and I saw something that said he's overaged which doesn't help him...6 foot 5 if legit will help cause he's got a nice burst to him.

tight ends are hard to see where the run will come from...gronk only got into late round 2 due to medical in his class...Andrews is 4th on mayocks top 5 tight ends maybe he makes it to pick 73...right now I'm thinking the tight end value lies at 73...late 2 early 3 there should be value...maybe you trade in a package one of those 4th to get up closer to 60 and grab your top one...I think miamis gonna add a piece at tight end though in free agency so they don't go into the draft with a eye sore dire need at tight end...I wonder if the detroit kid will price himself out of our range...maybe he takes a one year pact fully guaranteed or something and we test drive him

and yes im betting that kiko is plan a weak just like raekwon is plan a mike although im also betting kwon is seen as 2 down in 2018 as the plan...

ridley runs good routes and has nice burst reminds me of ty Hilton...finesse type but not as finesse as Hilton...you will miss a lot on trying to hit with Hiltons skill set...I'd call him an exception given how finesse his game is

The problem with James, as hoops noted, is that if you don't use him as a player to match up with TE's or big WR's (less and less of an issue tbh), he likely won't justify a top-20 pick. He blitzes well, is athletic, and he's good in man coverage. His instincts/break on the ball are alright/good enough, but I don't think they translate to a Safety that makes a significant difference in the passing game. As a matchup piece, he may. But, if your plan is to stick him in 2-deep next to Jones or single-high, he won't return the value.

James never had a year at FSU like Smith had at UGA in 2017. Smith was dominant and all but took away the entire 2nd level. If you're looking to add speed to the D, Smith is much faster relative to most LB's than James is to most Safeties. There were times he looked like he was everywhere. David and Kendricks fell to the 2nd, but both were about 2 years older leaving UCLA than Smith is UGA, and Smith looks like he'll run in the mid-to-low 4.5's (vs 4.65 and 4.61). I'm open to the idea that Miami would view him as too small, but it'd just be another example of Miami being behind the curve. Between James and Smith, I favor the younger guy whose dominant year spearheaded an elite defense.

100% agree.

Back
Top Bottom