Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

I could see hurst at 43 but I think you are looking at an h back game skill set and I saw something that said he's overaged which doesn't help him...6 foot 5 if legit will help cause he's got a nice burst to him.

tight ends are hard to see where the run will come from...gronk only got into late round 2 due to medical in his class...Andrews is 4th on mayocks top 5 tight ends maybe he makes it to pick 73...right now I'm thinking the tight end value lies at 73...late 2 early 3 there should be value...maybe you trade in a package one of those 4th to get up closer to 60 and grab your top one...I think miamis gonna add a piece at tight end though in free agency so they don't go into the draft with a eye sore dire need at tight end...I wonder if the detroit kid will price himself out of our range...maybe he takes a one year pact fully guaranteed or something and we test drive him

and yes im betting that kiko is plan a weak just like raekwon is plan a mike although im also betting kwon is seen as 2 down in 2018 as the plan...

ridley runs good routes and has nice burst reminds me of ty Hilton...finesse type but not as finesse as Hilton...you will miss a lot on trying to hit with Hiltons skill set...I'd call him an exception given how finesse his game is

The problem with James, as hoops noted, is that if you don't use him as a player to match up with TE's or big WR's (less and less of an issue tbh), he likely won't justify a top-20 pick. He blitzes well, is athletic, and he's good in man coverage. His instincts/break on the ball are alright/good enough, but I don't think they translate to a Safety that makes a significant difference in the passing game. As a matchup piece, he may. But, if your plan is to stick him in 2-deep next to Jones or single-high, he won't return the value.

James never had a year at FSU like Smith had at UGA in 2017. Smith was dominant and all but took away the entire 2nd level. If you're looking to add speed to the D, Smith is much faster relative to most LB's than James is to most Safeties. There were times he looked like he was everywhere. David and Kendricks fell to the 2nd, but both were about 2 years older leaving UCLA than Smith is UGA, and Smith looks like he'll run in the mid-to-low 4.5's (vs 4.65 and 4.61). I'm open to the idea that Miami would view him as too small, but it'd just be another example of Miami being behind the curve. Between James and Smith, I favor the younger guy whose dominant year spearheaded an elite defense.

How u feel about D Hamilton, I think that maybe Landrys replacement, Got open early at will at the senior bowl.

How u feel about D Hamilton, I think that maybe Landrys replacement, Got open early at will at the senior bowl.

I'd be cool with him late, but I feel like he'll probably get drafted in the 3rd or 4th, and I don't like him like that. I am really high on Moore, but now some people are mocking him in the 1st, and I was hoping early 3rd. I'm high on Michael Gallup and Steve Ishmael - relative to where I see them ranked.

James. I'm of the opinion that he fixes many things for this D very quickly.

Sadly, I don’t like any of those choices. I think only a QB, LT, DE, WR, and CB make sound financial sense at 11. Those are the guys that make big bucks so get them on cheaper rookie contracts when possible.

Assume front office feels the team is set at QB and LT. We do need a DE. If Landry leaves a WR is a bit of a need. I’m okay with what we have at CB but if that is BPA at 11 I’d be okay with it and see if Lippet could net a starting OG or LB in trade.

IMHO what we need is a tall fast rangy SAM, a ball hawking FS, a stud TE, a 3 down RB, and of course interior offensive lineman. I’d like to see if one of our SS could play WILL. Move Kiko back to MIKE and hope our mike of the future recovers and pans out. I’d look to extend our RT as we don’t need more holes and he is okay.

Soon we need to think about DT as both Shu and Philips might account for too much money. We need to be smarter about the money and age part of the business.

Sadly, I don’t like any of those choices. I think only a QB, LT, DE, WR, and CB make sound financial sense at 11. Those are the guys that make big bucks so get them on cheaper rookie contracts when possible.

Assume front office feels the team is set at QB and LT. We do need a DE. If Landry leaves a WR is a bit of a need. I’m okay with what we have at CB but if that is BPA at 11 I’d be okay with it and see if Lippet could net a starting OG or LB in trade.

IMHO what we need is a tall fast rangy SAM, a ball hawking FS, a stud TE, a 3 down RB, and of course interior offensive lineman. I’d like to see if one of our SS could play WILL. Move Kiko back to MIKE and hope our mike of the future recovers and pans out. I’d look to extend our RT as we don’t need more holes and he is okay.

Soon we need to think about DT as both Shu and Philips might account for too much money. We need to be smarter about the money and age part of the business.

Are there any DE's projected in our draft range? To me that is the ideal position to target high in the draft assuming talent levels are roughly equal. We may have more immediate needs, but DE is a huge need 2019 and beyond. And that's assuming Harris continues to develop, otherwise we need 2.

James...

James has been the impact player on whatever team he has played on...offered a scholarship even before he entered the 9th grade. A true freak. I know a lot have soured on him because of the Noles overall season and his perceived play (I still don't think he was 100% going into last season), but a lot had to do with what he was asked to do in that defense and the general poor scheme implemented by Kelly. I think that after the combine and people see him move at 6'2" plus 210 plus he is going to be right back in the mix for top consideration.

Kelly had a scheme? LOL

There are a more than few Noles on that D that are going to be very good NFL players, but James tops that list for sure.

No to Nelson as I still can't value drafting a guard that high. James is intriguing as we could use a great free saftey but unless he his much better than Smith my money is on Smith. Thats where are need is and has been these last 2 drafts plus we still have no idea what we have in McMillan yet as he has yet to play a snap. Now that being ssid Smith needs to have good coverage skills to make that pick. Next round I am looking at that tight end position then a guard possible free safty along with a running back through rounds four. I hope we can work out things with James,also or tackle becomes a hole.

What’s the scenario where you could land two of the three of them, and who’s the likely to fall...?

I would guess the lower valued position guard could fall into the late first as well I could see scenarios where a undersized lb drops as well

What if (spitballing here) we take James at 11 and move back in to the late first with our 2nd and one of the 4ths? If Nelson or smith fall...

Would you take the James/smith or James/Nelson combo and wait til the 3rd for next pick either te, g, lb

We have tannenbaum lol he moves around...and really just messing with some offseason dream scenarios

The more pertinent question is Marcus Davenport, Derwin James, or Roquan Smith. Or Tremaine Edmunds. He's too right up their alley for me to leave him out.

That's the core of what the Dolphins are pondering, anyway. Though they're currently in FA mode, so they're not pondering that question extremely hard at the moment.

I could see hurst at 43 but I think you are looking at an h back game skill set and I saw something that said he's overaged which doesn't help him...6 foot 5 if legit will help cause he's got a nice burst to him.

tight ends are hard to see where the run will come from...gronk only got into late round 2 due to medical in his class...Andrews is 4th on mayocks top 5 tight ends maybe he makes it to pick 73...right now I'm thinking the tight end value lies at 73...late 2 early 3 there should be value...maybe you trade in a package one of those 4th to get up closer to 60 and grab your top one...I think miamis gonna add a piece at tight end though in free agency so they don't go into the draft with a eye sore dire need at tight end...I wonder if the detroit kid will price himself out of our range...maybe he takes a one year pact fully guaranteed or something and we test drive him

and yes im betting that kiko is plan a weak just like raekwon is plan a mike although im also betting kwon is seen as 2 down in 2018 as the plan...

ridley runs good routes and has nice burst reminds me of ty Hilton...finesse type but not as finesse as Hilton...you will miss a lot on trying to hit with Hiltons skill set...I'd call him an exception given how finesse his game is

Are you referring to Eric Ebron? They picked up his 5th year option. Are they planning on rescinding it? I haven't heard.

not sure if you were asking me about Hamilton or not but I will pass...looks like a poor mans cooper kupp

have to be a late rounder for me

gallup was the most interesting wr I saw at the senior bowl come the end of the game...the lsu kid has talent but I don't think he fits what Miami would look for...more ted ginn type ask... thing about gallup is though im not sure I see the option route 2 way go guy who is gonna always read coverage correctly....looks to me more like the slot that runs routes to deeper depths less option...I think that2 way go correct coverage read guy is more Christian kirk but I also think kirk is slow...slot version of larry fitzgerald without the high point leap ability coming out of pitt...like the size like the separation in and out of cuts and like the smarts when it comes to coverage reads but I think I may see a 6 on that timed speed and those slot guys who don't have top end speed usually last on the draft board...I'd expect to see him on there at 43

how much does that really fix our lack of explosive break away in the slot though should juice leave? not much I'd say...dj moore might be a better option...none of these guys are burners

Last edited:
Hoops, Am I missing something about James? I thought we had 2 strong S's? I agree we need to build up the middle and need a free desperately. Do you think James is the answer for a free? Does he have the instincts, can he somewhat neutralize the TE position ?

Back
Top Bottom