Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

Explain to me how you are lining up vs 12 and 13 personnel with this package? Cause based on what you are telling me I’m coming after you vs this look with 2 and 3 tight ends provided the sticks allow it. Early downs they will.

And Derwin better lock down tight ends or im gonna murder your lb level off pa carry coverage and range. Cause with a high cut weak side light in the pants backer in tj and a high cut thin torso Derwin James sniffing the los and you having to likely put a less than ideal single deep safety 20 yards off vs this look I’ve got a lot of one on ones and perimeter lb field range with Raekwon to exploit and a soft 2nd level to get to with my oline

Your offset is derwin James locks up alpha tight ends. He better cause I’m gonna find out if I’m playing you

That and Raekwon better shut it down between the tackles

I’m gonna force you into what it you don’t want to be in the most so if base lb play is your Achilles heel I’m doing everything I can provided the sticks allow to get you in it

I get enough 6 yard clips off you on early downs you will come out of this unless the scoreboard says you don’t have to

Hoops- you have exposed the weakness in the scheme yes but Im stacking 8 in the box vs 12 personnel with Suh and Phillips in middle and Raekwon Brigham and Derwin in the box - man I'm gonna take those chances.
Derwin locks up TE#1, Raekwon has to control the middle and we have Derwin flying around. Nigel keeps him clean.

Your 12 personnel is 2 TEs 2 WR 1 RB
I've got 7-8 in the box
pressing with X-man
Shifting help to Tank
Keep Derwin clean to read and react
I'm sending 5/ dropping 6

If I can't hold up vs 12/13 personnel- I pull out McDonald and put in Allen

Mel kipers new mock has josh rosen and Derwin James making it to pick 11

I would absolutely take rosen there if not James cause his game fits the o pre snap and progression read to a t. Ball placement and rac

Ha he has us taking rosen. I’d be happy with that

Seahawks gifted Derwin James

Last edited:
Already made it clear I can’t get behind Smith, Nelson, or James.

Nelson because I wouldn’t go OG in the first. Smith because of his size and Kikos contract. James because we are already committed to two SSs and need a FS instead.

Now if the FO does due diligence and feels Josh Allen equals Big Ben, Josh Rosen equals Andrew Luck, and Baker Mayfield equals Russell Wilson, then I’ll volunteer to run up the pick if they are there.

I’d just hope they could trade Tanny for Cleveland’s two second round picks at that point!

Still see it breaking more like DE/CB/DT in the first, OLB in the second, interior OL in the third, TE and then RB in the fourth.

I sure don’t see it breaking de at 11

Unless that 2 point stance kid Marcus Davenport gets there

Arden key another 2 point guy.

Cb wise I’d take Denzel ward as a consolation. If I have to. Damn good tape. Another guy they say is gonna light up the combine

Vita veas gonna be a name everyone talks about after he runs sub 5.0 at 345 lbs. he has a special teams open field tackle on tape that shows off ungodly athleticism. It’s a straight up fired out of a cannon open field take down. But I don’t see us in the dt market and I think I can work away from him on o as a coordinator. I know gase can

Last edited:
Best value is at CB given the way we are lead to believe it will go. But I think FO feels okay at CB and would rather have a DE.

I think Davenport will test well but I’m afraid they will pick Key. Not in favor.

Keys pass rush is more refined but that height and frame in a 43 every down will never work

Not to mention off the field

If it’s situational rusher only Arden makes sense but not at 11. Not in this d.

Draft those kids in a 34 they can play every down. Key might be more weakside 34 olb tough to say. He’s not a 43 de

He’s one explosive edge though no doubt.

If we played a 34 I’d take davenports upside in a nano second but we don’t. And that grade lies highly in 2 point. Yeah I know I can move him around and let him rush over the center standing up and be in gaps etc but long term he plays in this d every down with a hand in the dirt. At minimum 75 percent he does. He can play every down in a 34 minus obvious run down in a 4 point in a 34 where he’s ideally suited and grades out.

34 teams are gonna have top 10 grades there due to the upside and he can learn playing every down. There’s no projection minus some pass rush refinement which in a 34 you’d bet on all day. In a 2 point scheme he will keep his twig lower legs cleaner

Last edited:
We see things much alike. We drafted our Jason Taylor last year this year it should be Trace Armstrong if we pick a DE and Key ain’t that.

Sure would love a trade down and ability to get SAM, FS, TE, and RB of starter quality in this draft....in no particular order.

I think we have reason for hope for the first time in a long time. That might be my biggest reason for hoping we don’t go QB at 11.

For the first time in a long time we have guys like Lippett, James, and Landry who could net something in a trade if we go that route.

I love tannehill but in the event this board breaks where qb insurance is the best value at 11 I’d be on it.

If rosen gets to 11 due to personality that’s gonna be one hard to pass.

And while I think mayfield is more late 1 early 2 value it’s not the worst idea I’ve heard of. And qbs get pushed up anyways

Tanny goes down I don’t want to mail in another season on no upside 2 deep

Lamar Jackson is gonna generate a lot of buzz after he runs sub 4.5 too

What cb are you seeing as best value at 11?

Ward weighing 190 if that’s what he comes in at isn’t gonna help him but I can already see exceptions to the norm are gonna be made in this class

CB at 11...I like Jackson's game a lot.

Ward also. Little short but solid player. Heck these days your third CB is playing more downs than most any LB we are so high on drafting. And I think both are better than a slot CB.

Yeah wards size is the only issue with a top 12 pick. It’s ideal for nickel I can’t see anyone starting him as the #1 plan at that size despite him maybe getting there. It’s kind of like Harris with Denver. No way that size projects as a 1 but he gets the job done. Wards more gifted athletically.

Jackson’s long speed is the only issue I see. Wards gonna run and change direction like a joy stick Jackson can’t run late 4.5s and validate top 12. Late 4.4s ok but I’m not sure I see it.

Iowa’s scheme ask is a lot of off and zone too too it hides speed craves ball skills and situational awareness which I think Jackson has at a very high level. Pattern recognition etc.

I also think miamis content on the boundary with x and tank and lippett as the 3rd man.

Tank looks pretty solid when he doesn’t blow assignments. Technique needs work. X technique is way more consistent but it’s to be expected with a rookie

Last edited:
Yea I don't see Rosen making it to 11, but if he did, I don't blink twice between me writing his name on the card and then submitting it. Pretty ideal situation for the franchise even if the impact is limited in 2018.

Again all the Landry talk, and draft talk, the one thing that cannot happen is watching 17 go down and this team has no contingency plan. If that happens, I want them all gone.

I can live with losing Landry and rolling with Carroo and Grant, hell I can live Julius Thomas at TE again. Cannot deal with no upside behind Tannehill.

There’s nothing that would flip out fortune more in 2018 than a qb in case of emergency .

You can write Derwin James name or Nelson or tremaine Edmunds or anything but if Ryan goes down and we don’t have a 2 deep with high upside our goose is cooked.

It was cooked in August with tanny down and facing matt Moore which gase correctly tried to upgrade with a street add that didn’t work out it will be cooked again with some average at best type upside draft pick or vet free agent

Cannot pass up Rosen or Allen at 11.

You start Tannehill in 2018 and allow the pick to mature. You will know what you have during camp and preseason.
At worst case you have Tannehill insurance.

If they reach their upside - HR. You have a franchise QB under control and you move Tannehill for multiple picks eyeing a real shot in 2019-2020.
By then Kiko, Branch off the books - cap looks better

Back
Top Bottom