Chris Grier, Brian Flores Happy With Foundation Laid | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier, Brian Flores Happy With Foundation Laid

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

1579561439586.png

"I was proud of the way they dealt with adversity throughout the course of the season," Flores said. "I love the way they worked in practice, in meetings, in walk-throughs, and how towards the end, they really started trusting the process. I thought they really worked hard and they saw some of the fruits of their labor, not only yesterday, but the latter stages of the season. This team knows how to deal with adversity or they learned how to deal with adversity this season. I also mentioned that every season is a little bit different. This team is going to be different than the team we'll have next year. That's the business of the National Football League. I think we laid the right foundation and need to try to build on that moving forward."
Grier said he liked the progress the organization has made since the rebuilding progress began.
"I talked about laying the groundwork and the foundation of trying to build something that would win for sustained success, and for us, it was very important to do that," Grier said. "I think Brian and the coaching staff have done a great job of laying that foundation."

Hopefully the team continues to build this year with the extra draft picks, and the being smart on the salary cap. It will also be interesting to see what other players are released or cut from the team.

There's no reason this team shouldn't be a wildcard team next season.

Just wow.

While I love the unbridled fanaticism this statement might come from. In no way does it meet some type of realism.

Currently constructed Miami is a 5 win team at best....next year. Infusion of youth and a few mid tier FAs and PS players, is in no way ready to compete for a WC in 2020.

I really like the fondation laid... That being said we have decided to change our two main contractors and changed half of our managers...

I really like the fondation laid... That being said we have decided to change our two main contractors and changed half of our managers...

Because he wants the Fins to win more games

All I see is that we've demo'd the team down to the foundation but I'd argue we haven't "built" anything yet.

All I see is that we've demo'd the team down to the foundation but I'd argue we haven't "built" anything yet.

I somewhat agree, but I believe that they at least found a few pieces worth keeping. I don't know whether it was through scheme, talent, or a combination of both, but IMO they've built (or maybe discovered) a decent passing game with Fitz, Gesicki, Hurns, Williams, Wilson, and Parker. However, although it was good enough to win a few games, it will be so much more potent once they add a competent o-line and a strong running game.

There's no reason this team shouldn't be a wildcard team next season.

I realize that they tore down practically the entire roster to rebuild, and I agree with getting rid of the players that they did (and there are more that can go!). However, even with lots of unknown players on defense (who did a nice job in the second half of the season IMO), I believe that had the Front Office given Flores 5 or 6 average, fairly competent o-linemen who could actually pass and run block instead of the stiffs they put on the field, Laird and Gaskins would have had more success running the ball (Ballage sucked), and Fitz's passing game would have been even more effective than it was. It's VERY possible that having a half-decent o-line would have resulted in a few more wins this past season.

IMO, the BIGGEST hole on this team for years has been the o-line, and rebuilding the line should have been the #1 priority of the Front Office heading into the 2019 season. Just because they were tearing down, it didn't mean that they couldn't start rebuilding at the same time. They should have already made headway into replacing the entire o-line from 2018, but as it stands, they'll need 5 new starters heading into 2020. A good o-line, along with one bruising RB, is all that this team needs at the moment to be a playoff-caliber offense. If they had started rebuilding the o-line in 2019, then they could have finished it in 2020 and started upgrading the defense. IMO, by ignoring the o-line in 2019, they just wasted a year in the rebuilding process.

Coach speak.

Not at all upset with him saying those things ... but then again, they don't carry much weight with me either. I'll judge Flores by how good his team performs in year 3. If he's around for years 4+, those will be judged the same way. But last year ... he failed at tanking IMHO. In 2020, I'm not expecting anything ... we shouldn't be bad enough to get Trevor Lawrence in 2021, and we shouldn't be good enough to challenge for a Super Bowl, so I just want to see development in areas like secondary coverage, LB's stopping the run, DE's pressuring the QB, OL that can generate a semblance of a running attack each game and generally protect our rookie QB decently.

They need 2 rb, 2og,1ot.maybe c ,cb and 2 to 3 pass rusher next yr.. to be around 5 to 7 win next yr. With Fitzpatrick as qb.

Just wow.

While I love the unbridled fanaticism this statement might come from. In no way does it meet some type of realism.

Currently constructed Miami is a 5 win team at best....next year. Infusion of youth and a few mid tier FAs and PS players, is in no way ready to compete for a WC in 2020.

We deconstructed an annual 6 to 7 win team to build it back up to be a 6-7 win team? I can't imagine 5 or less wins are acceptable next season or 6/7 for that matter.

We will just have to disagree, in the free agency era there's no reason this team shouldn't be significantly improved next year and be in the playoffs. That should at least be their expectation, i'd be kind of concerned if it's not.

We deconstructed an annual 6 to 7 win team to build it back up to be a 6-7 win team? I can't imagine 5 or less wins are acceptable next season or 6/7 for that matter.

We will just have to disagree, in the free agency era there's no reason this team shouldn't be significantly improved next year and be in the playoffs. That should at least be their expectation, i'd be kind of concerned if it's not.

You do not build a foundation on FAs. The Redskins have tried it for years, just doesnt work. Miami's own record in this regard should be a cautionary tale to learn from, but I guess doing the same thing over and over again, is more in your wheel house.

Say hello to Brandon Marshall, Branden Albert and many others who fall into this web of BS.

I would also remind you of Owner Ross saying building a team in such a manner was folly. But hey, you keep being you.

You do not build a foundation on FAs. The Redskins have tried it for years, just doesnt work. Miami's own record in this regard should be a cautionary tale to learn from, but I guess doing the same thing over and over again, is more in your wheel house.

Say hello to Brandon Marshall, Branden Albert and many others who fall into this web of BS.

I would also remind you of Owner Ross saying building a team in such a manner was folly. But hey, you keep being you.

Except i never said you build the team through free agency. I said it's the free agency era.

We lack a foundation because the people that have been drafting since Jimmy Johnson left have left a lot to be desired, this includes our current GM who for some reason Stephen Ross surmises will finally get it.

I'm sure Grier would agree with you that it's unrealistic to expect playoffs this upcoming season, it's another year he can collect a check with no real accountability.

The web of BS we're actually in is continuing to think it takes this exorbitant amount of time to build a competitive team. It doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom