Chris Grier: "i Didn't Expect Minkah To Be There. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier: "i Didn't Expect Minkah To Be There.

The Dolphins got a guy that was rated by many as one of the top 5 players in this draft. Yet there are fans here that want to constantly whine about the pick.

While Fitzpatrick was absolutely the right pick, I fully understand fans seeing 4 QBs go top 10 and Miami not trying to do anything to move up to get one.

Some people just aren't comfortable putting the eggs in the Ryan Tannehill basket, coming off 2 knee injuries and not playing in 20 months.

I am more discouraged that we didn't like a guy "enough" to draft him somewhere over the last 3 days . . . all while sitting on Brock Osweiller. Scary to think we were content with Osweiller and Fales, over one of the rookies, starting in round 3 when none were taken since the first round.

We are still in April . . . the proof will be in December/January . . . until then its all good.

Exactly how I felt. But, he was one of 3 or 4 guys who I thought might be there, and those were the guys that made me believe sitting tight at 11 was the wise move. Quenton Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick were my two highest rated players who I felt might fall to 11, and I'm ecstatic that Fitz did!

this x100000.

While Fitzpatrick was absolutely the right pick, I fully understand fans seeing 4 QBs go top 10 and Miami not trying to do anything to move up to get one.

Some people just aren't comfortable putting the eggs in the Ryan Tannehill basket, coming off 2 knee injuries and not playing in 20 months.

I am more discouraged that we didn't like a guy "enough" to draft him somewhere over the last 3 days . . . all while sitting on Brock Osweiller. Scary to think we were content with Osweiller and Fales, over one of the rookies, starting in round 3 when none were taken since the first round.

We are still in April . . . the proof will be in December/January . . . until then its all good.

1 knee injury. I agree about a late round guy over a second te

1 knee injury. I agree about a late round guy over a second te

I'm not going to get into semantics with this. Dude suffered a knee injury in 2016 . . . did a full rehab . . . suffered an injury to the same previously injured but cleared knee in 2017 . . . and then had surgery . . . AND STILL has to rehab again and prove he can be the same QB he was prior to the first injury, from a movement and mental aspect . . . nearly 2 years ago.

Completely understand there being concern about this 30 year old guy going into year 7 with this recent injury baggage and potential franchise QBs are within reach. Just being realistic about it.

Tanny can shut all his doubters up by continuing where he left off in 2016 . . . but this front office is playing with fire because if he does get injured and you trot Brock Osweiller out on the field . . . they ALL need to be fired.

This was the best draft Miami has had in a long time.

Hope this is the new normal. Cause it will mean a new Miami Dolphins team over time.

Drafting for explosion and speed, and key need filled with dependable, high-character players. And taking flyers on players with upside. A thing of beauty.

Loving it! A positive direction, imo.

LD

Sorry for the triple post but our pick, as far as football players go, was probably the third best player behind Barkley and Nelson but of a higher value IMO because of position. Stud FS/DB is harder to find than the other two spots and we already have a top 10 qb.

This was the best draft Miami has had in a long time.

Hope this is the new normal. Cause it will mean a new Miami Dolphins team over time.

Drafting for explosion and speed, and key need filled with dependable, high-character players. And taking flyers on players with upside. A thing of beauty.

Loving it! A positive direction, imo.

LD

I had a few differences when it comes to players but I completely agree . . . the thought process was spot on.

Said it in chat . . . while we don't know what Stephone Anthony will end up being for us, the one thing that was clear is that he POPPED on the screen as soon as they put him in the games and he continued to pop the rest of the season. You can't teach that athletcism and we need more of it and this draft provided a lot of athleticism to both sides of the ball.

I believe a lot of luck played out for Fitzpatrick to be there. None of his doing. Lucky for Grier, Tannenbaum and Gase that another TOP 5 talent dropped in their laps, 2 out of the last 3 drafts.

When they actually have to make tough calls, we get Charles Harris.

I'm not going to get into semantics with this. Dude suffered a knee injury in 2016 . . . did a full rehab . . . suffered an injury to the same previously injured but cleared knee in 2017 . . . and then had surgery . . . AND STILL has to rehab again and prove he can be the same QB he was prior to the first injury, from a movement and mental aspect . . . nearly 2 years ago.

Completely understand there being concern about this 30 year old guy going into year 7 with this recent injury baggage and potential franchise QBs are within reach. Just being realistic about it.

Tanny can shut all his doubters up by continuing where he left off in 2016 . . . but this front office is playing with fire because if he does get injured and you trot Brock Osweiller out on the field . . . they ALL need to be fired.

Tannehill biggest supporter is Ross. Until that changes, nothing changes. So it's about building for the out years IMO.

Tannehill biggest supporter is Ross. Until that changes, nothing changes. So it's about building for the out years IMO.
Actually id say his biggest supporter is Gase. Gase has stated he came here because of Ryan. He has fully supported him. And we all know, this was Gase's draft.

Who would they have moved up to take? The Browns weren't going to give up the #1 pick and the Jets weren't giving up the #3 pick. The Bills had more draft capital to move up to #7. The Dolphins obviously didn't like Rosen enough to try to move up 1 spot. They also didn't like Jackson enough to take him at 11 or move up back into the 1st round to take him. They saw Minkah there at 11 and were happy to take him. I have my doubts that any of the QBs available day 2 would be good enough in 2018 to make much of a difference if Tannehill goes down again.

The Dolphins stuck to their board and took the best players available. I won't fault them for that. They most likely believe with a healthy Tannehill that adding more talent through the draft at other positions was the way to go.

IMO if Tannehill stays healthy then the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year. If terrible luck strikes and Tannehill unfortunately goes down again then I have no doubt that they will take a QB in 2019. Even if Tannehill stays healthy and has a great 2018 they still may take a QB in 2019. We just have to wait and see how everything plays out.

Actually id say his biggest supporter is Gase. Gase has stated he came here because of Ryan. He has fully supported him. And we all know, this was Gase's draft.

Gase wouldn't have the latitude of almost being guaranteed at least 5 years if not for Ross support of Tannehill. Gase is just a extension of that support.

1 knee injury, not treated properly. same tendon/ligment, no further damage just delay on fixing it. Its not semantics, its facts. The rehab and horse sperm whatever thing he did is for weekend warrior types, not professional athletes. If the dolphins moved on from him because of it I wouldn't fault them because getting your body ready for playing is part of being a professional, see Tom Brady.

There's two ways I think Gase views RT17. Either he loves him and knows what most people with a decent football IQ think, and that is he hasn't been the problem with this team or they have him relatively cheap for what he is for at least another year and we did not value this weak QB class high enough to trade multiple picks. The best prospect as far as talent goes was Josh Allen IMO and I wouldn't even consider him before round two unless I was a team without a QB. I'm pretty sure it's option 1 based on the film from 16.

Who would they have moved up to take? The Browns weren't going to give up the #1 pick and the Jets weren't giving up the #3 pick. The Bills had more draft capital to move up to #7. The Dolphins obviously didn't like Rosen enough to try to move up 1 spot. They also didn't like Jackson enough to take him at 11 or move up back into the 1st round to take him. They saw Minkah there at 11 and were happy to take him. I have my doubts that any of the QBs available day 2 would be good enough in 2018 to make much of a difference if Tannehill goes down again.

The Dolphins stuck to their board and took the best players available. I won't fault them for that. They most likely believe with a healthy Tannehill that adding more talent through the draft at other positions was the way to go.

IMO if Tannehill stays healthy then the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year. If terrible luck strikes and Tannehill unfortunately goes down again then I have no doubt that they will take a QB in 2019. Even if Tannehill stays healthy and has a great 2018 they still may take a QB in 2019. We just have to wait and see how everything plays out.

And I was happy they took Minkah . . . was easily the best pick they could make. I am also fully content "not" trading up there . . . some people are done with Ryan Tannehill . . . I am not one of them.

But starting in round 3 you had Mason Rudolph sitting there for the taking . . . guy is projected by some to go round 1 and certainly by round 2. Even the FIU QB you had dinner with, you have the chance to take him in round 7 and you don't take the opportunity. Just a continual pass at QB, while teams with much more secure options at QB than Miami still are drafting guys because its the damn QB position and its always good to bring new blood into the building to see what they have.

They clearly feel comfortable with Ryan, brock and Fales . . . and that comfort level makes me uneasy, especially after last season.

Back
Top Bottom