Chris Grier Meets With The Media Ahead Of The Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier Meets With The Media Ahead Of The Draft

You weren't listening if you think "As usual not much there!" He said A LOT!

- He pratically told you we're drafting one of the Top 5 DL guys if they're there at our pick. How do i know that? Because he said essentially you're an idiot if you pass on top caliber guys trying to trade down to acquire more picks

-He told you we're drafting an OL (Good depth there)
-He told you we're drafting a receiver(Class is deeper than you think!).
-Hell he even told you we're not going to reach for a QB.

I didn't hear all that but your theme holds alot of sense in this draft. With our lack of talent on the lines it would be wise to double down on each position on either side of ball on the offensive and defensive lines in the first 4 rounds.

I like Grier. Seems like a really great dude.
Total class. Total pro.

Bigger point is -- it takes a synergy. If we have that with
Flores + Grier and then add the Marvelous Marvin Allen
+ Reggie McKenzie -- I feel really good about the
potential for a real dynamic synergy!

That's my hope. And I think we're in the best shape
for identifying and developing talent in decades!

All we have to do now is prove it!

BNF

I really, really liked this. It's almost like he realizes that a huge part of his job is to make sure he sets up the coach to get the best players for his scheme.

So Grier had final say in the draft the past two years.

"I'm not going to force a coach to take a player. Because that doesn't work. If a coach doesn't want a player, and I say, 'No, we're taking them" and then it works out one way or the other, good, but if it doesn't, it just creates that animosity and distrust. It's not worth it. You've been around here long enough, you've seen a lot of that happen. So I'm not gonna force any player on anyone...but yes, I had final say...I'm going to be very collaborative."

Wow. He really dumped on the previous regimes there.

I like that he specifically stressed that they wouldn't reach for need, and that he brought up the failure rate of QB.

I'm actually going to disagree with you here, which is pretty rare. He's the GM and the players the fins put on the field is on him at the end of the day. His job (should) depends on it. I don't want him deferring to a coach who hasn't put nearly the work in evaluating players just because he isn't confident enough in his decisions and there might be turmoil as a result. Man up, make decisions, and stand behind them.

It sounded to me like a way to insulate himself from bad picks like Charles Harris ... which is exactly what I was worried about when he took the gig. 20 years with a team that can't draft and you get propelled to the top of the hill ... that doesn't happen without scapegoats.

We'll see how the draft goes but the finger pointing if it goes awry belongs squarely on him and not a collaboration of people.

It's been a collaboration for many years, I remember on the eve of the 2013 draft Jeff Ireland polled his coaching staff who they most coveted in the entire draft and the consensus was Dion Jordan. Ireland took the heat for the pick but he was just delivering their choice. Some groups are better than others. I do like the current lineup, Allen and McKenzie were both strong hires

I was very satisfied with what Grier had to say.

He confirmed what I felt was the right approach for selecting in a draft. I felt he gave us some real insight into how he saw the general availability in this draft along with a dose of the reality that all teams face, in that you can't really control who will be available at a given selection. The best you can do is be prepared with a basic list of who you want and how much you want them. If he gave us any more detail then that, he would be weakening any bargaining position he might have in trading up or down.

What wasn't fully addressed was the situation where the people determining who we want aren't in agreement with each other. It seems to me that's where he would be responsible for taking the lead. He may recognize that trying to shove a player down a coaches throat is problematic, but he has the final responsibility for each and every draft. Just because a coach doesn't get his favorite does not necessarily mean he is getting a player he doesn't like.

Back
Top Bottom