Chris Grier meets with the media | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier meets with the media

Flores was the weakest candidate Grier even had on his list. He was one year removed from being a position coach, and a one-year DC under one of the most genius defensive minds in NFL history. No NE assistant coach has gone on to have any kind of success as HC in the NFL. And that's not even taking into account how Flores' personality isn't all that inspiring to head a football team. I don't know if Richard will be a great HC or not in the end, but he had many traits and a resume that was superior to Flores IMO. I would make a bet that Richard will eventually have a better career as HC than Flores.

As for the JJ approach, its not covering anything, its reality, and its smart. It might be the best thing I like about Grier. The draft is a crapshoot. It's gambling - a roll of the dice. JJ drafted a BUNCH of **** players, but because he had a crapload of draft picks, he was able to come out of most drafts with at least a few solid players and one elite player. Just look at JJ's drafts in Miami. Outside of his last draft, he came into draft day with 10+ draft picks. With that haul, he drafted a lot more bad players, but he also came out of those 3 years with foundational players like JT, ZT, Pat and Sam who kept the franchise afloat for an entire decade.

My one hope for Grier is that by using that approach, he might be able to replicate some of that. This team has lacked elite players for a decade outside of Cam Wake, and it showed,
That's an opinion, one I know I don't share. I was pumped for either Flores or the guy from Dallas. I don't think I was alone in that.

Yeah, players don't want to waste 3 years of their career rebuilding, hoping to eventually become a decent team. They all want out, they're just not all saying it. Tunsil fears he would become like Joe Thomas, the old LT for the Browns, who always said they were just a year away. Thomas spent his entire career in rebuilding mode as it were. All of the Dolphins locker room feels the same way, they're just not all voicing it. About half that locker room is lucky to be in the NFL, and over half are lucky to be given a chance to start in the NFL. I'm sure they'll figure it out next year when they get cut from the Dolphins and nobody picks them up, but in the interim, yeah, the locker room all wants to be elsewhere.

The flip side is true as well. In a year or two when we become this hot new team with a great young QB and stacked with the most young talent in the league, always on the up and up and most promising roster in the NFL … then everyone will want on the Dolphins. None of these guys will ever admit they wanted out. Just how it is.

Yeah, players don't want to waste 3 years of their career rebuilding, hoping to eventually become a decent team. They all want out, they're just not all saying it. Tunsil fears he would become like Joe Thomas, the old LT for the Browns, who always said they were just a year away. Thomas spent his entire career in rebuilding mode as it were. All of the Dolphins locker room feels the same way, they're just not all voicing it. About half that locker room is lucky to be in the NFL, and over half are lucky to be given a chance to start in the NFL. I'm sure they'll figure it out next year when they get cut from the Dolphins and nobody picks them up, but in the interim, yeah, the locker room all wants to be elsewhere.

The flip side is true as well. In a year or two when we become this hot new team with a great young QB and stacked with the most young talent in the league, always on the up and up and most promising roster in the NFL … then everyone will want on the Dolphins. None of these guys will ever admit they wanted out. Just how it is.
Tunsil was actually upset about the trade.

off topic, but what is that hat he is wearing? if seen him wear a few with that logo and just dont know what it is

While it's great Grier is getting good value for players we're trading I can't ignore the fact that Grier was the one who drafted Minkah when we could've taken Derwin James, moved down for Lamar, Vander Esch etc. I get it Minkah wanted out but there's a lot of people in this thread that are saying that Minkah was not worth the 11th overall selection and that he's not very good football player. We're rebuilding through the draft and we have a GM who has a shoddy record at drafting. It concerns me.

Exactly. Game planning and play calling are not losing games.....lack of talent is and it's for a reason.

People got to understand. Brian Flores was not hired to lose. He was hired to coach the team he has been given to win consistently. It's up to Grier to assure that Flores eventually has the players he'll need to achieve that goal. I thought it was reassuring to hear both Grier and Flores indicate that they, along with Ross, are in lock step as to what moves are made and why.

What position is Minkah Fitzpatrick going to play in Pittsburgh? We haven't heard the last of Minkah. But Grier had no choice, thankfully he got a solid return.
Saftey which would have worked for us

It bothers me because we just gave up the #11 pick from a year ago - a player that this SAME GM drafted - for a lottery ticket that may or may not turn into anything of the same quality as the player we just sent away. This is not the right way to build a successful team with a winning culture.

Either you have to admit that Grier whiffed on the pick, or that something about this team caused a talented player to force his way out. There really is no other way to look at it.

However, I do commend Grier for getting back a pick comparable to the one he used to select Minkah. Had it been Tannenbaum, he probably would have shipped Minkah off for a 3rd rounder.

Your binary evaluation scale is too limiting. I would argue the scale should be complete whiff, below acceptable return, acceptable return, above expectations, and significant return on investment. We can immediately eliminate complete whiff and significant return on investment. My vote is for acceptable return. We got one year where he was highly rated and a 1st round pick next year and some change for the investment of the 2018 #11 pick. I want more return than that, so I am not happy. I do believe we got an acceptable return.

Your binary evaluation scale is too limiting. I would argue the scale should be complete whiff, below acceptable return, acceptable return, above expectations, and significant return on investment. We can immediately eliminate complete whiff and significant return on investment. My vote is for acceptable return. We got one year where he was highly rated and a 1st round pick next year and some change for the investment of the 2018 #11 pick. I want more return than that, so I am not happy. I do believe we got an acceptable return.
Gotta agree with you in terms of real draft value. Reminds me of Jimmy Johnson's drafting philosophy when giving up next years first rounder for a 2nd round pick he used on Patrick Surtain. This years talent after their first year is worth more in next years draft.

Of course with Minka basically calling the shots here we were fortunate to get what we got for him this year.

I still don't know why we just didn't let him play FS like he wanted McCain is a liability there and is OK in the slot. Thats the bigger question at least to me in all this drama everyone is overlooking.

How? . . . The coaching staff turns their focus for the season onto trying to figure out who they are going to keep. Basically and extend pre-season. This still means they coach them and give them plays to run that are designed for them to succed. IMO that is not tanking, that is being realistic.

Our coaching staff is so much more focused on evaluation this year, with a pre-season-like approach, that we didn't even try field goals at the end of our Patriots game to avoid the shutout. Rather, we EVALUATED our player's abilities while trying to score touchdowns last minute, under adversity.

But according to some no FA is going to want to come here?
Just don't understand where this statement has come from, it's like someone said it and too many fans have run with it.

Not sure why the Grier hate on here. For once we have a plan sticking to it and the head coach and gm are on the same page.
Agreed, we knew it was going to be ugly....just man up and accept it. Finally a plan...we don't have to like it or agree with it, but at least we have one after 2 decades.

Agreed, we knew it was going to be ugly....just man up and accept it. Finally a plan...we don't have to like it or agree with it, but at least we have one after 2 decades.
You're right it's great that we finally have a plan and we all expected the Dolphins to be bad this year but is Grier the man we want overseeing the draft? His record is questionable to say the least. Charles Harris is a bust and we just traded away the player we selected instead of all pro players like Derwin James or Leighton Vander Esch. There's been talk that Ross suggested we move down for Lamar Jackson but Grier was absolutely sold on Minkah and thought he was a steal at 11. Picking Gesicki over Goedert is another bad call.

Back
Top Bottom