Chris Grier's moves questionable? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier's moves questionable?

1. He brought in Flores.

2. He was able to get a 1st for a disgruntled Safety.

3. Was able to turn a few draft picks from The Texans, into continued high Draft picks.

4. Drafted a QB that has a good shot at being at worst being a good piece to a quality team, at best, a special Superbowl competing QB.

5. Has been able to draft 4 possible starting O-Linemen for this years team.

6. Has Drafted 3 good to possibly great starting D-linemen for this years team.

7- Has Drafted 2 LBs special LB that will start this year, and each had at least 6 Sacks last year.

8. Has Drafted 3 DB that if not all are starting this year, each has a good shot of starting next year.

9. In FA, has been able to strike gold multiple times with starting talent.

Has not done anything?
Not sure no 2 is a “win”. He traded what the no 9 pick for no 20? An All-Pro at that. Flores is the only thing that’s proven on that entire list. The rest is “might be” and “has a chance”. Jury is still out.

The recent X'man's debacle was predictable and preventable by Grier. Why would you sign another CB to a better contract than X? You have to know that is going to create a problem. The way Grier is handling Howard's situation is poor at best. Does this situation look like another Minka? Another head scratcher by Grier, the recent draft. Many are giving Grier accolades for the trade down and then trade up. I ask, did we really capitalize on those moves? I think Grier would have been better off making some trades after the pro days when scouts really pushed Pitt's upward on the draft board. We could have capitalized more picks with our trade down and Grier was too early. Another decision - Josh Rosen - Bust; Kyle Van Noy signing?? Jordan Howard signing?? Matt Brieda??

Last but not least, the decision to select Tua over Herbert... This one we will have to wait and see... But then again, we have been taking that stance for the past twenty years. Me thinking Grier is a bust.
You must have forgotten X's problems the year before. Grier made moves in case X was punished by the league or he failed to rehab from his injury. Either way Flo's D needed a cornerstone CB to build and there was never a guarantee the X would show and shine like he did.

Maybe has something to do with not winning a playoff game in 20 years? :shrug:
Please...that's just a copout. some fans will find a problem whether it exist or not. Not winning a playoff game has already been establish....we get it. You got fans on here that already want to replace Grier and Flores, trade Tua and dislike the owner. Gimmie a break.

Fan for 50 years. Haven’t done anything right in at least 20 so I can understand the frustration. Take Ryan Tannehill for example. While here I was not a hater nor a fan boy. I honestly just couldn’t tell w him. Took Tennessee about 2 games to figure out he was an all pro QB. Dude had 40 combined TDs last year to 7 turnovers. Year before he led the league in QBR w a whopping 9.7 YPA. He didn’t do anything even close to that here. Fresh start my ***. We ****ed it up. Like we **** most things up. Charles Harris even had a career year w 3 sacks after he left lololool. Donkeykong Suh and his contract. Jonathan Martin. Adam Gase. Joe Philbin. Cam Cameron. Drew Brees. Nick Saban. Dion Jordon and the entire off-season of 2012 OMG. Then we hit on a couple of studs like Minkah and X and we can’t even retain them through their primes. So, try to understand why some take a Debbie downer position. We haven’t exactly earned the benefit of the doubt for a couple of decades now. Eddie Moore. Jamar Fletcher. Playoff appearances since 2000 = 3. TDs scored in those games combined = 3. I could go on.
We get it, the team has sucked for a long time, but some fans find fault with everything and I mean everything. X wants to renegotiate his contract the Dolphins are cautious so Grier ****ed up...REALLY. To feel disrespected because the other guy got a bigger contract than you when you are making 75mill is childish. Minkah doesn't want to play here anymore because boohoo it's too tough....Grier trades him and gets some draft capital in return....what's the chant afterward by some...FIRE Grier, replace the coach, Dolphins Suck...cmon man. We are heading in the right direction, give the front and coaching staff a chance...that's all I'm saying.

Don’t pay current market price for a second lock down CB because your concerned about the feelings of the other high paid CB on your team? In other woRds, don’t get better! Got it.

I dont think Grier is anything special, however I do think Flo is. So, I hope if something happens to Grier because of his bad moves is only him and not Flo, cause that man can surelly coach.

One thing I like about Grier, I get the impression he gives eff all about outside talent opinion, criticism, who else thinks what pick should be, except from those working in the building with him to scout and build the team. We've seen plenty of picks outside conventional wisdom. Me not being a big college player watcher, I trust the guy to be getting the players that will keep this rebuild going and into big boy mode. Iggy could be a stroke of genius, depending on how it plays out, but at the time, general consensus was "WTF"

The recent X'man's debacle was predictable and preventable by Grier. Why would you sign another CB to a better contract than X? You have to know that is going to create a problem. The way Grier is handling Howard's situation is poor at best. Does this situation look like another Minka? Another head scratcher by Grier, the recent draft. Many are giving Grier accolades for the trade down and then trade up. I ask, did we really capitalize on those moves? I think Grier would have been better off making some trades after the pro days when scouts really pushed Pitt's upward on the draft board. We could have capitalized more picks with our trade down and Grier was too early. Another decision - Josh Rosen - Bust; Kyle Van Noy signing?? Jordan Howard signing?? Matt Brieda??

Last but not least, the decision to select Tua over Herbert... This one we will have to wait and see... But then again, we have been taking that stance for the past twenty years. Me thinking Grier is a bust.
First of all, the situation with Fitzpatrick was between Minkah and the coaching staff. Grier only got involved once it was clear Fitzpatrick didn’t want to play for Flores and wanted to be traded. Grier did what any responsible GM is expected to do under those circumstances, he got the the best deal he could in a trade.

As far as blaming Grier for signing Jones goes, again Grier did the best thing for the TEAM at that time. Jones was the best CB available in free agency in 2020. Howard missed the majority of 2019 with ANOTHER injury. With Howard’s injury history since coming to the Dolphins, there was not way of knowing if he would come back healthy last season.

It‘s not like they were loaded with quality CB’s on the roster after the 2019 season ended. They needed to add quality CB’s to supplement Howard even if he did return healthy. The drafting of Iggy was also Grier’s ability to look a few years ahead and realize he needed to bring in young and talented CB’s who could assume the position once Howard or Jones was no longer on the roster. Until then Iggy could continue to develop his skills as a CB and he was projected to contend for the starting slot CB this coming season. With Howard possibly not being on the team, Iggy will now be a possible starter at the spot Howard filled last year.

I certainly haven’t agreed with all the decisions Grier has made and he has had his share of mistakes. Just like every GM in the NFL has made their share of personnel mistakes. Yet signing Jones and drafting Iggy while Howard was recovering from another injury certainly wasn’t one of his mistakes. It was exactly what he should have done at the time based on the Dolphins needs at the CB position.

As far as Grier selecting Tua over Herbert is concerned. While I would have been happy with the Dolphins drafting either Tua or Herbert in the draft. I am perfectly content with Tua as the Dolphins QB and I believe he is going to have a great career in the NFL.

Flores is the only move that has Grier keeping his job.Every move he has ever made is at a minimum very questionable

I agree with several of your points.
For example, I do not think we maximized our 2021 #3 pick (tho time will tell).
I also am worried about Tua but way too early to know.
I think Minka needed a different team.
I was concerned about Byron Jones contract at the time.
Shouldnt beat writers be asking these questions?
The thing people gloss over (with the Texans’ pick) is that we wanted Waddle. The trade with SF and the Eagles netted us a 1st and a 3rd while we still got the player we wanted. I would point out the Eagles were going to take Smith or Waddle at 6 and the Giants (who picked Toney later in the 1st after trading down) could have easily taken the other at 10. It might not have been as easy as some people think to hop back into the top 10 and land Waddle when the Broncos and Panthers would have both been worried about the Cowboys taking a CB at 11 (our pick from SF was 12th).

Flores is the only move that has Grier keeping his job.Every move he has ever made is at a minimum very questionable
That’s complete BS and you know it. Every move? C’mon! He’s made some great moves as well as some that haven’t worked out, and others which haven’t been given ample enough time to make a fair assessment.

I'm really encouraged with what I've seen from Chris Grier. Every general manager, even the best of all-time, will make some bad moves. It's just the nature of the business.

The good far outweighs the bad, IMO for Grier. The Tunsil trade keeps on giving. He's brought in some excellent talent evaluators to help identify talent. There's been more good draft picks than bad.

Agree with the OP that Tua versus Herbert bears watching. Minkah Fitzpatrick for Jackson is currently a win for Pittsburgh. But if Jackson comes close to his ceiling that could change.

I'm disappointed in Howard more than with Grier on the contract dispute.

I agree with your questionable moves completely…we missed not getting Herbert for sure!

But….I don’t expect perfection from Grier, just overall success.

Missing on the QB position is something that will get you a failing grade long term.

Saban did that and ran away from pro football rather than fixing it!

At the beginning of our rebuild, Grier said that they were looking at how we do things, and he will be making some changes to football operations. Grier has always said many decisions regarding players and talent acquisition (free agency and the draft) are collaborative. Adding Allen (Assistant GM), McKenzie (Senior Personnel Director), and Flo as Head Coach seems to be making a difference. Time will tell, but our decisions seem to be more sound. We aren't perfect, no organization is, but I give a lot of credit to Grier for taking a look at himself and our organization in the mirror and trying to make changes for the better. I am hopeful that we are on the right track and it's just a matter of time before we put it all together. :-)

Back
Top Bottom