Chris Grier's moves questionable? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier's moves questionable?

Ok so what great move(s) has he had? I'll wait
I was against Ross keeping Grier as the GM when he stated he was going to rebuild the entire team. I wanted Ross to completely clean house and that included hiring a new GM . Yet to make the comment that Grier hasn’t made any good moves as the GM is absurd.

First of all he was responsible for the hiring of Flores, who so far appears to be the best HC the Dolphins have hired since Shula was the teams HC.

Obviously he has made several quality moves to improve the team in the two years since Flores was hired. Otherwise the Dolphins wouldn’t have gone from what was considered the worst roster in the NFL at the beginning of the 2019 season to a 10 win team in 2020.

You appear to be someone who hates Grier for no real reason and is unwilling to give him any credit for the fact the team is much better now than it was just two years ago. If hating Grier makes you feel better about yourself, there is nothing I can say to convince you that Grier isn’t as bad a GM as you insist he it.

Last edited:
I agree that things are the most promising they’ve been since JJ came in. That said, if we continue to trade our best players (regardless of reason) it’s going to make things harder. I love coach Flo. He can coach. Not sure about Grier. I think he’s meh-ish.
I hear you as far as "trading you best players"......it's always tough to see great players being traded or released especially when it comes to the Phins. We have been a dumpster fire for so long that losing a player like X especially one in his prime gives you that WTF feeling. But I'll tell you what Shank, the way I see it, the Phins IMO weren't going to keep X beyond this season anyway, whether it's his knees, or off field issues he was gone. You give a player a 75 million dollar deal, pay all his guarantee money in the first what three years, draft a corner in the first round and pick up one of the best FA cornerbacks in the league at that time.....X days were numbered. Grier didn't mess up by giving Jones more money, X just had an unbelievable year because he had a point to prove.....THAT IMO screwed up the plan. Look at this from Grier's point of view, he is laughing his ass off right now while we are questioning if he is a good general manager.....How?
1. X has a chip on his shoulder and is going to play his ass of this season if we keep him
2. If we trade him we get good compensation
3. His replacements are already on the team
You are meh-ish on Grier.....the man is a fing genius.

I hear you as far as "trading you best players"......it's always tough to see great players being traded or released especially when it comes to the Phins. We have been a dumpster fire for so long that losing a player like X especially one in his prime gives you that WTF feeling. But I'll tell you what Shank, the way I see it, the Phins IMO weren't going to keep X beyond this season anyway, whether it's his knees, or off field issues he was gone. You give a player a 75 million dollar deal, pay all his guarantee money in the first what three years, draft a corner in the first round and pick up one of the best FA cornerbacks in the league at that time.....X days were numbered. Grier didn't mess up by giving Jones more money, X just had an unbelievable year because he had a point to prove.....THAT IMO screwed up the plan. Look at this from Grier's point of view, he is laughing his *** off right now while we are questioning if he is a good general manager.....How?
1. X has a chip on his shoulder and is going to play his *** of this season if we keep him
2. If we trade him we get good compensation
3. His replacements are already on the team
You are meh-ish on Grier.....the man is a fing genius.
Boy I hope so. I feel our D can win a SB “now” which is why I care so much if he’s here or not.

Not sure no 2 is a “win”. He traded what the no 9 pick for no 20? An All-Pro at that. Flores is the only thing that’s proven on that entire list. The rest is “might be” and “has a chance”. Jury is still out.
So you believe a Safety that was continually crying about how he was used...Was continually crying he wanted to be traded, and had a mother that was continually giving her opinion "Miko Grimes" style, should have been kept on the team? You don't see him becoming a cancer, or more accurately, a bigger cancer.

In those type of cases, if you don't remember, when Miami had a player that wanted out, and was being vocally disruptive, Miami Would trade him for far less then he was worth...Yes Miami let a player they got pretty high, for a pick in the 1st that ended up being an 18th pick, but that was a gamble Grier took, it could have just as easily been a top 10 or even top 5 pick, if the Steelers losing big Ben has impacted the Steelers more.

The others are my opinion, don't expect everyone to agree, but I actually like what Grier has done so far. We will see soon enough if I am right.

I was against Ross keeping Grier as the GM when he stated he was going to rebuild the entire team. I wanted Ross to completely clean house and that included hiring a new GM . Yet to make the comment that Grier hasn’t made any good moves as the GM is absurd.

First of all he was responsible for the hiring of Flores, who so far appears to be the best HC the Dolphins have hired since Shula was the teams HC.

Obviously he has made several quality moves to improve the team in the two years since Flores was hired. Otherwise the Dolphins wouldn’t have gone from what was considered the worst roster in the NFL at the beginning of the 2019 season to a 10 win team in 2020.

You appear to be someone who hates Grier for no real reason and is unwilling to give him any credit for the fact the team is much better now than it was just two years ago. If hating Grier makes you feel better about yourself, there is nothing I can say to convince you that Grier isn’t as bad a GM as you insist he it.
What are these good moves?

I dont even know Grier so I don't hate the man.Again I have no idea where you got that from?! That's the 3rd time .

I just said he is not a good GM imo.i can't make it any more simplistic for anyone who wants to troll my post.

The Dolphins finished with a better record than 19 other teams in the NFL last year. So Grier obviously is a better GM than any of those GM’s.
If you can’t see that his picks and signing have upgraded the roster in the past 2 years, you obviously just have an issue with Grier that is unrelated to his ability as a GM.

If you don’t like me responding to your ridiculous comments you can always stop making them in response to my comments.

Boy I hope so. I feel our D can win a SB “now” which is why I care so much if he’s here or not.
I feel you on that. X has left a bad taste in my mouth, but with that being said we are still better with him than without him.

So you believe a Safety that was continually crying about how he was used...Was continually crying he wanted to be traded, and had a mother that was continually giving her opinion "Miko Grimes" style, should have been kept on the team? You don't see him becoming a cancer, or more accurately, a bigger cancer.

In those type of cases, if you don't remember, when Miami had a player that wanted out, and was being vocally disruptive, Miami Would trade him for far less then he was worth...Yes Miami let a player they got pretty high, for a pick in the 1st that ended up being an 18th pick, but that was a gamble Grier took, it could have just as easily been a top 10 or even top 5 pick, if the Steelers losing big Ben has impacted the Steelers more.

The others are my opinion, don't expect everyone to agree, but I actually like what Grier has done so far. We will see soon enough if I am right.
I don’t think MF becomes a whiny jerk if they just put at S to start minicamp. Instead the staff was infatuated w Bobby McCain - even though he was way to small to play there - and had him doing 1st team reps w MF behind him as far back as April/May. That was the beginning of the end. So I’m saying the org has to accept responsibility as well for creating the situation. They had a vision of how they wanted to use the guy and he didn’t like it. Pitt is using him where he’s best suited. Had Miami done that (actually, Gase did in MFs rookie year and he was very good) he’s probably still here and no one thinks he’s a cancer. He’s certainly not one in Pitt. Anyone can become a malcontent.

I feel you on that. X has left a bad taste in my mouth, but with that being said we are still better with him than without him.
Any time guys act out it pisses me off. All along I haven’t been saying “hey, give him what he wants” though I’ve been open to some bit of give and take. I more so wanted to see them take a “we’re not trading you so you can either play or sit out and lose all that money you care so much about” - cause I believe he would have been back on the field in no time. Anyhow, no matter what happens w X, Iggy bananas has to become a heck of a player. CBs are vital to this defense.

First of all, the situation with Fitzpatrick was between Minkah and the coaching staff. Grier only got involved once it was clear Fitzpatrick didn’t want to play for Flores and wanted to be traded. Grier did what any responsible GM is expected to do under those circumstances, he got the the best deal he could in a trade.

As far as blaming Grier for signing Jones goes, again Grier did the best thing for the TEAM at that time. Jones was the best CB available in free agency in 2020. Howard missed the majority of 2019 with ANOTHER injury. With Howard’s injury history since coming to the Dolphins, there was not way of knowing if he would come back healthy last season.

It‘s not like they were loaded with quality CB’s on the roster after the 2019 season ended. They needed to add quality CB’s to supplement Howard even if he did return healthy. The drafting of Iggy was also Grier’s ability to look a few years ahead and realize he needed to bring in young and talented CB’s who could assume the position once Howard or Jones was no longer on the roster. Until then Iggy could continue to develop his skills as a CB and he was projected to contend for the starting slot CB this coming season. With Howard possibly not being on the team, Iggy will now be a possible starter at the spot Howard filled last year.

I certainly haven’t agreed with all the decisions Grier has made and he has had his share of mistakes. Just like every GM in the NFL has made their share of personnel mistakes. Yet signing Jones and drafting Iggy while Howard was recovering from another injury certainly wasn’t one of his mistakes. It was exactly what he should have done at the time based on the Dolphins needs at the CB position.

As far as Grier selecting Tua over Herbert is concerned. While I would have been happy with the Dolphins drafting either Tua or Herbert in the draft. I am perfectly content with Tua as the Dolphins QB and I believe he is going to have a great career in the NFL.
This is a really good post and good point about MF’s trade having nothing to do w Grier. Something was amiss between Minkah and Flo and Grier wasn’t part of that.

Ok so what great move(s) has he had? I'll wait
I’m not a big fan of Grier as you can tell but sending that overrated sack of **** in Tunsil to Houston for that haul was great. I get that he made the pro bowl. I’m not sure how. He led the league in penalties and he was a penalty machine here. He also has mental lapses that get QBs killed. He couldn’t beat out Fat Albert - even without his Junkyard Band - for the starting LT position in his rookie year. We got a haul as if he was Jackie Slater or Anthony Munoz when he’s much closer to Billy Turner than those guys. So yeah, I have to give him that one. It was great.

What are these good moves?

I dont even know Grier so I don't hate the man.Again I have no idea where you got that from?! That's the 3rd time .

I just said he is not a good GM imo.i can't make it any more simplistic for anyone who wants to troll my post.
No one's 'trolling your post'. You're just not making any sound arguments.

How did we go 10-6 last year with a bad GM?

I don’t think MF becomes a whiny jerk if they just put at S to start minicamp. Instead the staff was infatuated w Bobby McCain - even though he was way to small to play there - and had him doing 1st team reps w MF behind him as far back as April/May. That was the beginning of the end. So I’m saying the org has to accept responsibility as well for creating the situation. They had a vision of how they wanted to use the guy and he didn’t like it. Pitt is using him where he’s best suited. Had Miami done that (actually, Gase did in MFs rookie year and he was very good) he’s probably still here and no one thinks he’s a cancer. He’s certainly not one in Pitt. Anyone can become a malcontent.
Exactly! The coaches had a vision of how to best utilize the current talent on the team at that given time. We were a better team with using MF as a Swiss Army knife. It’s NOT the organizations fault he got his panties in a wad bc he didn’t like how they were using him. It’s NOT the organizations fault that he wanted to be traded even before the beginning of only his SECOND season with the team. He created that situation, not the other way around, period! They did everything they could to convince him to stay. I loved the player when we drafted him and I actually loved how they were using him as well. However, they did what MF felt was best for him. They got fair value for him in return. They Made the best of a bad situation. Sometimes things just don’t workout between a team and a player. Sometimes its really not anyone’s fault, just the wrong fit at that particular time.

Back
Top Bottom