Chris Simms claims Jarrett Stidham is More Talented than Tua | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Simms claims Jarrett Stidham is More Talented than Tua

At some point in the last several months this dipshit decided he was going to increase his profile as an 'analyst' by ragging on Tua and the Dolphins.

Simms is not as bad as Kurt Warner. Warner claims if you didn’t play the position you have no business evaluating it. Like it’s rocket physics or something.

Exactly.

Extensive study and 1st person experience surely helps, no doubt. But they clearly are not absolute requirements.

I‘ll paraphrase something I heard Ben Shapiro say when questioned about his qualifications while speaking out on a specific topic.

Kurt Warner is making an argument from authority. However, just because he played the position doesn’t in any way qualify him as an expert in all things in the field to which he proposes to speak.

Either an evaluation is good or an evaluation is bad. Citing to credentials is a really bad way of making an argument. It’s better to make an argument as to what the evaluator is saying that’s wrong instead of just claiming that the evaluator doesn’t have the properly enumerated degree or experience from the institution of choice.

Let’s be real, if having played the position automatically qualified someone as an expert QB evaluator, all former QB’s would be able identify and/or draft a surefire star without fail. But we all know it doesn’t work that way. Conversely there have been lots of evaluators that never played the position that have enjoyed successful careers in scouting and coaching the position.

My biggest fear about Tua is not his ability to lead or his talent throwing the ball, it's can he stay healthy on a consistent basis.

I wonder if
1. He has a personal grudge against Tua
2. Does he say things to get clicks
3. Does he really feel that way.
Can anyone sum up his “why”?
All good questions, and I don't know the answers, but I have some inklings.

As for #1 and #3:
I don't think Simms has a grudge against Tua, rather I think Simms really does believe in his ranking. Simms has been very vocal over the years that he likes strong armed QB's ... and Tua has just an average arm. Simms likes big QB's, and Tua is small ... like barely 6'0 small. Simms likes the very athletic QB's, and Tua has average athleticism for an NFL QB, so he will not be able to scramble like he did in college, and with our OL, he'll face a lot more pass rush, so he's gonna take a bunch of sacks. Simms also is one of the few evaluators who factor in the offense within which each QB plays, and the talent surrounding them. For instance, Oregon had by far the worst offensive scheme, Simms notes this, whereas most evaluators just blame Herbert. Alabama and LSU had by far the most talent around them, and Simms calls it out, but most evaluators just ignore all the top NFL draft picks surrounding those guys and say the QB is great. Jordan Love is the test case. He had a good surrounding cast and good offense his junior year, and did well. But when he had a bad offense and no surrounding talent as a senior, he played constant hero-ball and made bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. Simms notes this and blames some of those bad decisions on the need to do it all because there simply wasn't anyone else with talent enough to win the game on that team.

When you're talking about prospects, many evaluators place more weight on tools (arm strength, size, speed, intelligence, etc.) than the average fan. The scouts look at the upside, more than the current production. That's why so many scouts love Jordan Love ... he has those tools and upside. The person who checks those boxes the strongest is Justin Herbert, and that's Simms' man-crush. When you look at the mold of what Simms likes ... Tua doesn't stack up very well, so I'd guess his Tua ranking is honestly how he feels, and not a personal grudge.

As for #2:
Well, these days I think that's a valid concern for any media unfortunately, so there's probably some of that in there too. But comparatively to guys like Omar Kelly, no, Simms does not say things for clicks. He gets a tremendous amount of exposure because he's likable and connected. His "Unbuttoned" podcast is quite popular. Florio's Pro Football Talk gives him a platform to get noticed easily, and Simms's greatest strength as a pundit is that he's one of the most "connected" guys around the NFL. He knows everyone, and has a LOT of friends feeding him inside-advice. You don't see it a lot because he doesn't kiss and tell. But, rest assured, he's got more than a dozen personnel offices feeding him info at various stages of the evaluation process. So he's likable, gets exposure, not afraid to take a controversial stance, admits when he's wrong, willing to revise his rankings as guys prove they can or cannot play, and generally has proven to be a good evaluator. He doesn't 'need' to generate clicks, and that's probably why he doesn't seem to say a lot of those things that are inconsistent with his evaluation style like most click-bait guys do.

All good questions, and I don't know the answers, but I have some inklings.

As for #1 and #3:
I don't think Simms has a grudge against Tua, rather I think Simms really does believe in his ranking. Simms has been very vocal over the years that he likes strong armed QB's ... and Tua has just an average arm. Simms likes big QB's, and Tua is small ... like barely 6'0 small. Simms likes the very athletic QB's, and Tua has average athleticism for an NFL QB, so he will not be able to scramble like he did in college, and with our OL, he'll face a lot more pass rush, so he's gonna take a bunch of sacks. Simms also is one of the few evaluators who factor in the offense within which each QB plays, and the talent surrounding them. For instance, Oregon had by far the worst offensive scheme, Simms notes this, whereas most evaluators just blame Herbert. Alabama and LSU had by far the most talent around them, and Simms calls it out, but most evaluators just ignore all the top NFL draft picks surrounding those guys and say the QB is great. Jordan Love is the test case. He had a good surrounding cast and good offense his junior year, and did well. But when he had a bad offense and no surrounding talent as a senior, he played constant hero-ball and made bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. Simms notes this and blames some of those bad decisions on the need to do it all because there simply wasn't anyone else with talent enough to win the game on that team.

When you're talking about prospects, many evaluators place more weight on tools (arm strength, size, speed, intelligence, etc.) than the average fan. The scouts look at the upside, more than the current production. That's why so many scouts love Jordan Love ... he has those tools and upside. The person who checks those boxes the strongest is Justin Herbert, and that's Simms' man-crush. When you look at the mold of what Simms likes ... Tua doesn't stack up very well, so I'd guess his Tua ranking is honestly how he feels, and not a personal grudge.

As for #2:
Well, these days I think that's a valid concern for any media unfortunately, so there's probably some of that in there too. But comparatively to guys like Omar Kelly, no, Simms does not say things for clicks. He gets a tremendous amount of exposure because he's likable and connected. His "Unbuttoned" podcast is quite popular. Florio's Pro Football Talk gives him a platform to get noticed easily, and Simms's greatest strength as a pundit is that he's one of the most "connected" guys around the NFL. He knows everyone, and has a LOT of friends feeding him inside-advice. You don't see it a lot because he doesn't kiss and tell. But, rest assured, he's got more than a dozen personnel offices feeding him info at various stages of the evaluation process. So he's likable, gets exposure, not afraid to take a controversial stance, admits when he's wrong, willing to revise his rankings as guys prove they can or cannot play, and generally has proven to be a good evaluator. He doesn't 'need' to generate clicks, and that's probably why he doesn't seem to say a lot of those things that are inconsistent with his evaluation style like most click-bait guys do.
Great sum up. Thanks.
I sure hope he is wrong about Tua.
I wanted Herbert and not Tua.
But I also wanted Brady Quinn at #9 and not Ted Guinn and McNab over Brees.

I believe it was his 2018/2019 rankings, he had guys like Cam Newton ranked higher than Brady and Brees. Kurt Warner said something on air about it, and when they asked Simms he basically talked a lot of crap about Warner not agreeing with his rankings. This is not the first year he puts out silly rankings.

Seems like you would factor in the level of competition, though. Tua played with more talent, he also faced more talented teams.
Also, it doesn't matter how talented a receiver is if you throw the ball in the 3rd row

Seems like you would factor in the level of competition, though. Tua played with more talent, he also faced more talented teams.
Also, it doesn't matter how talented a receiver is if you throw the ball in the 3rd row

True, but talented WRs can increase QBs YPA, TDs, and other stats.

Is he really that stupid?
:shrug: This really isn't a big deal. Simms is right to reserve judgement until we've seen Tua in NFL games. As for Stidham, pretty sure Simms is showing more faith in the Patriots' ability to judge him than in the player himself.

Back
Top Bottom