Chris Simms ranks Tua the 40th QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Simms ranks Tua the 40th QB

I guess he (Tua) didn't do an interview with him and he's (Simms) pissed....40th what a joke.....
So where do u think Tua should be?? He has not played down in nfl yet????

By the way, this is his career stats:
Thanks for the link.

But, just so we're clear, Phil Simms career playing stats aren't relevant to the Tua evaluation. Let's remember, the best coach of all time--Don Shula--was a very peripheral player in the NFL. As were many of the top coaches throughout the years. Most scouts are former NFL players, most were peripheral players.

While we may not like Simms' evaluation, the relevant stats would be any that discuss his previous predictions/evaluations and evaluate those. THAT'S what we're interested in learning ... whether Simms the evaluator is good, not whether Simms the player was good.

My first thought was 'where does he rank Burrow, Herbert, and Love. If they're ranked near TT, maybe he just doesn't like rookies. My second thought was 'that puts a lot of poor QBs above him.
Great question. I've followed Simms' somewhat controversial evaluations this offseason, and I can tell you he LOVES Justin Herbert. He also thinks Joe Burrow is the best QB in this draft, but does not see him as having elite potential. But make no mistake about it, Simms has a man-crush on Justin Herbert, and attributes most of his drawbacks to the bad offense that the coaching staff ran at Oregon. He's said so numerous times. Simms has been talking about Herbert for 2 years straight, and to anyone who would listen, thinks he has the highest ceiling of any player in this or last year's draft. Here's an informative analysis of Justin Herbert by Chris Simms and Paul Burmeister.

And here's his analysis of Tua, which is more flattering than his #40 ranking. As the opening of the video shows, Simms ranked this year's prospects like this:
1. Joe Burrow
2. Justin Herbert
3. Jordan Love
4. Tua
5. Jacob Eason

Personally, I had more issue with his evaluation of Eason than Tua, although IMHO both are ranked too low.

Last edited:
I like Chris Simms take on most things, hopefully he has to eat that evaluation in a short time....I believe Tua is up there or will soon be.

He has Herbert at 37, not much higher. Stidham is 35. As someone mentioned, Taysom Hill is 36. He’s at 30, no Burrow yet.

He has yet to play a snap, and who knows if he will this year.

Rankings in June are merely clickbait/discussion topics, especially when talking about QB's who have yet to play in a NFL game.

This how I grade qb. Tua got beat out Fitzpatrick to drop in 20s. A good season put u in 11 to 20 spot. Great season put u in top 10.

Every time I go to profootball talk and I see what number qb he’s on I don’t even click the link, because he is not relevant when evaluating players, could care less how Simms ranks Qbs..not bias because he put Tua at 40, thats where he should be, just don’t care..

Thanks for the link.

But, just so we're clear, Phil Simms career playing stats aren't relevant to the Tua evaluation. Let's remember, the best coach of all time--Don Shula--was a very peripheral player in the NFL. As were many of the top coaches throughout the years. Most scouts are former NFL players, most were peripheral players.

While we may not like Simms' evaluation, the relevant stats would be any that discuss his previous predictions/evaluations and evaluate those. THAT'S what we're interested in learning ... whether Simms the evaluator is good, not whether Simms the player was good.

You are absolutely correct (and this is true in all sports).

To those who say Chris Simms wasn't a good NFL QB, therefore he can't be a good evaluator... Chris Simms's football ability earned him a Division 1 scholarship and a 6-year active career in the NFL over 7 seasons (he was out one year after the ruptured spleen). Where has your football ability taken you? If Simms's ability to evaluate QB's is based on his playing ability, then apparently nobody on this forum has any business making any evaluations of NFL players. Unless some Miami Dolphins players have the Kevin Durant insecurity complex, I highly doubt any of them post or make evaluations on this forum.

You are absolutely correct (and this is true in all sports).

To those who say Chris Simms wasn't a good NFL QB, therefore he can't be a good evaluator... Chris Simms's football ability earned him a Division 1 scholarship and a 6-year active career in the NFL over 7 seasons (he was out one year after the ruptured spleen). Where has your football ability taken you? If Simms's ability to evaluate QB's is based on his playing ability, then apparently nobody on this forum has any business making any evaluations of NFL players. Unless some Miami Dolphins players have the Kevin Durant insecurity complex, I highly doubt any of them post or make evaluations on this forum.
I haven’t seen that being said, my point is, he doesn’t have a long enough track record to show that he can evaluate players with a degree of success, therefore he is not relevant to me anyways..

Fitzpatrick bailey beat out Rosen last yr. If Tua is healthy.. thier is no reason why he cant beat out Fitzpatrick... if he is healthy..

Honestly? I like Simms with his controversial takes. Do I agree with all of them? Not even close, but there are times that he will say something but when he explains it you go "okay, I don't agree, but I see where you are coming from" Take his take of Henderson and Terrell being better prospects than Okudah this year. His reasoning was that yes Okudah is the best player now, but he does not have the physical ability that Henderson and Terrell do. So while Okudah may be better year 1, he didn't think he would improve as much as the other two. Do I agree with that take? Not really, but when he explains it I get where he is coming from. And you honestly need people with different takes. Makes things more interesting.

Also, the Tua has so much talent narrative to me only comes into play with how many TDs he has. The elite ball placement is something that cannot be hidden. But there are quite a few TD throws that were just the Bama WRs being that much better than the defense. Does that take away from Tua's throws? Not at all. Now if you want to talk about the difference the Bama OL made for Tua that's an interesting discussion to have

Yeah I am not wven a huge Tua fan but below Herbert is odd... below Trubinsky and Hill is hilarious

I like Chris Simms take on most things, hopefully he has to eat that evaluation in a short time....I believe Tua is up there or will soon be.
Yeah, he's way smarter than his dad. Maybe OP should post Phil's stats next time to prove he's not a moron (he is).

Back
Top Bottom