Christian Wilkins Adds Balance, Positional Versatility To Dolphins’ Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Wilkins Adds Balance, Positional Versatility To Dolphins’ Defense

Im not sure what you see to be honest. I counted 4 times the entire game he was turned out. I also counted 3 double teams he beat, two of them getting to the QB. Clearly there are some assignments where he slid down the line and got washed so to open gaps and allow others to fill. Clear scheme though.

Probably nothing but remains me of Suh and those cutting angles he use to take on his rush. The C#$P use to leave gaping holes in the DL.

Solid pick, too bad we couldn't trade down, though.

Probably nothing but remains me of Suh and those cutting angles he use to take on his rush. The C#$P use to leave gaping holes in the DL.

I think ANUFan, if you look at what the other lineman and the linebackers are doing behind him, it was simply a play design to open holes in the line for them to fill with the backers. You rarely see Wilkins slide off his spot, even in pass rush, unless the specific play calls for it. Hes got great gap integrity.

WASKI-1024x576.jpeg

Josh Rosen really rained on Christian Wilkins’ parade in South Beach.

Landing the 2018 NFL Draft’s No. 10 overall selection for the 62nd overall pick in 2019 and a 2020 fifth-rounder was a slam dunk for the Miami Dolphins, but it shouldn’t keep the Miami faithful from celebrating Wilkins, the Fins’ 2019 first-rounder.

Balance
A former five-star recruit with an illustrious collegiate career at Clemson, Wilkins is a freakishly athletic defensive interior for his size (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) that wins with great burst and quickness off the snap. With favorable traits and improved technique in Year 4 of his Tigers tenure, he earned a career-high 93.0 overall grade in 2018, ranking third among the 227 draft-eligible defensive linemen with 400 or more defensive snaps played this past season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ce-positional-versatility-to-dolphins-defense
Good point DK. He def was overshadowed by the Rosen news, and understandably so. Any new QB news around here is big news, especially a savvy move on our part, which has been uncommon in these parts. I think Wilkins is gonna be a stud for us, can't wait to see him develop.

I think the lack of our LB's making plays made that look much worse.

I'm not an X's and O's guy but I never understood that type of gap penetrating assignment. It seems like the center/guard play would gladly invite that NT/DT to slant to either side of their gap and then use their momentum to hand-off or allow them to over run the play. While at the same time allowing that free OL to climb the ladder to engage that smaller LBs upfield.

I saw that many times when Suh played for us and it created nice running lanes for RBs. Easily gaining 5+ yards a pop before someone on defense touched them.

I'm not an X's and O's guy but I never understood that type of gap penetrating assignment. It seems like the center/guard play would gladly invite that NT/DT to slant to either side of their gap and then use their momentum to hand-off or allow them to over run the play. While at the same time allowing that free OL to climb the ladder to engage that smaller LBs upfield.

I saw that many times when Suh played for us and it created nice running lanes for RBs. Easily gaining 5+ yards a pop before someone on defense touched them.
I think our LB's were afraid of contact! lol

I think our LB's were afraid of contact! lol

If you're going to play that type of defense then you need LBs that are 1) Not afraid to engage 2) Read and React quickly and attack that LOS. If there's any delay on their part then that OL is already on them down field....Here comes 5+ yards per carry.

If you're going to play that type of defense then you need LBs that are 1) Not afraid to engage 2) Read and React quickly and attack that LOS. If there's any delay on their part then that OL is already on them down field....Here comes 5+ yards per carry.
That's exactly what happened to us. Teams used our aggressive D line play against us as they knew our LB's weren't up to the task. Too many times than naught, they would get through the line and it was off to the races. Our safeties were always leading our team in tackles and that's not good.

Back
Top Bottom