Clay has returned to Miami after 3 days in Buffalo & Dolphins have not pulled tender | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clay has returned to Miami after 3 days in Buffalo & Dolphins have not pulled tender

And if you guys sign Clay you have about $7 million in space for 2015 (2 million after signing your draft class), and we have $18 mil and are rolling a bunch over from 2015 to 2016. We are NOT in cap hell. Tanne will be about a $10 million hit for 2016 when we sign him long term. We have a BUNCH of players we can re-negoitiate with (Wake, Grimes, Cameron, Reshad Jones, Misi) and free up another big chunk of money with. Yes, we do need to sign about ten more players than you do, and there won't big a big splash free agent like Suh or even Albert for the Fins in 2016, but there is plenty of space to maneuver.

We dont have a a 5M dollar draft class. Only players that would count on our cap likely in the draft is 2nd round and 3rd round.

5th, (2) 6ths and 7th are not going to do anything.

IMO I think people are thinking about this all wrong. I am sure they know the additional cap space in 2015 is freed up, and they know like the Bills there are moves that can be made to free up space in 2016.

I just think they are trying to figure out the actual layout that they can make and have you not match. IE want to get him for the lowest they can. Why spend 9M a year when MIA wont match at 7.5M a year.

Or even better maybe they are seeing well if we just go 6M a year but BIG Up Fron Cash (I know your owner is mega rich too), is that to much Cash layout that they want to have on this player.

I am sure it is alot more trying to "game" this offersheet than just the way fans think of Cap Space.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

I find it hard to believe you would defend sanchez to this day after seeing his actual play and not just look at the "playoff appearances" and delude yourself to him being a capable franchise QB.

Nah on the Bills board I was totally against anyone that wanted Butt Fumble.

Although I am meh about the Cassel signing as well.

And Intrigued over this Tyrod Taylor kid and the way the contract is structured tells me he has a legit shot to win the job.

We dont have a a 5M dollar draft class. Only players that would count on our cap likely in the draft is 2nd round and 3rd round.

5th, (2) 6ths and 7th are not going to do anything.

IMO I think people are thinking about this all wrong. I am sure they know the additional cap space in 2015 is freed up, and they know like the Bills there are moves that can be made to free up space in 2016.

I just think they are trying to figure out the actual layout that they can make and have you not match. IE want to get him for the lowest they can. Why spend 9M a year when MIA wont match at 7.5M a year.

Or even better maybe they are seeing well if we just go 6M a year but BIG Up Fron Cash (I know your owner is mega rich too), is that to much Cash layout that they want to have on this player.

I am sure it is alot more trying to "game" this offersheet than just the way fans think of Cap Space.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Nah on the Bills board I was totally against anyone that wanted Butt Fumble.

Although I am meh about the Cassel signing as well.

And Intrigued over this Tyrod Taylor kid and the way the contract is structured tells me he has a legit shot to win the job.

So have you guys already moved on from EJ? Personally I feel like he hasn't gotten enough play time to come to a decisive conclusion but I don't get to watch him like you guys do so if he's been really terrible I can see why you wouldn't be giving him a shot to win the job. Note I've only seen him play against us. (he was pretty serviceable in that game against us, overall good team victory for the bills)

So have you guys already moved on from EJ? Personally I feel like he hasn't gotten enough play time to come to a decisive conclusion but I don't get to watch him like you guys do so if he's been really terrible I can see why you wouldn't be giving him a shot to win the job. Note I've only seen him play against us. (he was pretty serviceable in that game against us, overall good team victory for the bills)

No I havent wanted to move on from EJ. Afterall he really has had only 14 games as a Starter. And I think his growth was killed by Marrone and Company.

But I am of the philosophy that unless you have an ELITE QB in that position Every year should be about legit Competition. So I think all three will be given the chance. Though I really think it will come down to EJ and Taylor. Cassel to me just seems like an insurance policy... He has a much different skill set than Both Taylor and EJ.

I would also like a Petty or Hundley at 50th (but some will call for TE or OL there)

Looks like more of the same today. Bills want him, confident they will sign him, though no offer sheet. Rinse, Repeat.

Yea was joking on Bills site. Someone asked in a thread if we will hear on Clay this week. My response

Monday "Bills will give a sheet Dolphins cant match"
Tuesday "Confident they will get him, crafting the sheet expect my Wednesday or Thursday"
Wednesday - "Sheet will come Thursday"
Thursday - "Still working on the sheet, likely see it by saturday, but Bills have signed __________"
Friday - "Official Press Conference for ________"
Saturday - "Bills confident they will land Clay and those in the FO think he is already a Bill"

Same think week after week as we march toward the deadline of July 1st.

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 2m2 minutes ago
#Dolphins problem w/ keeping Clay (or signing anyone, really) is $ spike in yr 2 of Ndamukong Suh deal. Any new contracts need a workaround.

I don't see how that should be a problem. Any new deals will probably be structured to spike in 2017, with minimal impact on 2016, when we have more cap space than I even thought possible.

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 7s7 seconds ago
Echoing @viccarucci, #Bills still going after TE Charles Clay, but #Dolphins clearing cap room has made the pursuit slightly more difficult.

lol!

I don't see how that should be a problem. Any new deals will probably be structured to spike in 2017, with minimal impact on 2016, when we have more cap space than I even thought possible.

Problem is we're not writing the contract...Buffalo is so instead of front loading it like they were going to do initially they'll probably have to have it spike in 2016 so Miami can't match.

Problem is we're not writing the contract...Buffalo is so instead of front loading it like they were going to do initially they'll probably have to have it spike in 2016 so Miami can't match.

That's true, but it's still somewhat of a guessing game for Buffalo. Miami would have a whole year in which to restructure and extend contracts and cut and trade players if they decided they want to match a contract that spiked in 2016. There's also only so much the Bills can do before they start impacting their own cap in regards to their plans for 2016.

Does anyone know the rules as far as restructuring a contract that was matched to keep a player that was given the transition tag? Is the contract locked in for the life of the deal, or can it be restructured like any other contract? On the surface it seems like it would defeat some of the purpose of forcing the team that placed the tag on a player to match it if a team could just restructure the whole deal after one year.

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 7s7 seconds ago
Echoing @viccarucci, #Bills still going after TE Charles Clay, but #Dolphins clearing cap room has made the pursuit slightly more difficult.

Does this sound like 90%??? hehehe

Back
Top Bottom