Clay signs offer sheet from Bills | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clay signs offer sheet from Bills

I don't think Clay is special but I think he's more valuable than Vernon or Pouncey. I have a low opinion of both.

Clay is not restructuring his deal . . . unless it involves Miami guaranteeing his entire contract.

I love dumb ass responses like this. If you disagree tell me why but don't be a punk.

I just think Vernon and Pouncey are both highly overrated.

Pouncey is the real deal at Center. Yes he played injured last year and got destroyed by Suh at guard and that is why Suh got paid. Yes, his off field antics and drug parties damage his rep. But no denying the guy is a top 5 NFL center.

Vernon is interesting. I feel on FH he gets a bump on love because he went to the U. He also benefits (even more this year) from all the attention given to Wake and Suh. I have no doubt his numbers will be NICE this year and someone will pay him because of it. Hope it's not us as we all know here the kid is good but not the reported $10 per year good being tossed around.

Clay landed on the market at the perfect time. He is good enough to be a threat TE and his versatility in position is a plus. But is he worth the $25 guaranteed being talked about? On a normal market year no.

But the TE market both FA and draft is terrible this year. Hence people overpay for whatever starting caliber talent is within reach.

I don't think Clay is special but I think he's more valuable than Vernon or Pouncey. I have a low opinion of both.

Understandable, the issue with Clay isn't if he is a good player or not, but the fact that he is being severely overpaid for what is essentially an H-back. While he does provide a certain skill set that allows him to be productive, he does lack qualities you look for in an elite TE (what he is being paid as)...he is not a seem threat, his vertical game is average and he doesn't provide a a high point, jump ball target in the red zone.

As far as Pouncey and Vernon....like Clay Vernon is a ascending player at a more important position...with Wake getting on in age and the lack of development of Dion Jordan, losing Vernon could put the team in a mighty large hole at the edge. Pouncey is a very good center and would fall into the top five of his position by most who evaluate. Granted I wouldn't break the bank for either, but I would work on a way to keep both (as the phins did with Clay)

Let's face it . . . this was the Dolphins being cheap again.

Should of used the franchise tag on him and then negotiated a contract. They whiffed on this move.

I'd much rather pay Clay than Pouncey or Vernon. I don't think either are special and will be hard to replace. So if signing Clay meant losing Pouncey or Vernon I could live with that.

Are you kidding me? Clay is not even near a top 10 TE. Pouncey is a top 10 C and Vernon has had a double digit sack season with more to come, especially playing with a monster in the middle. Clay makes more than Gronk and is half the player, with knee issues to boot. This is embarrassing to read on your behalf.

Should of used the franchise tag on him and then negotiated a contract. They whiffed on this move.

The only freak out number is the guaranteed money structure. If you suck it up for two years his cap is less than $5 for the remaining 3 years.

Fins had to see what the market would offer. Sorry but Clay is not elite. He is getting paid because Buffalo has no other choice.

The only freak out number is the guaranteed money structure. If you suck it up for two years his cap is less than $5 for the remaining 3 years.

Fins had to see what the market would offer. Sorry but Clay is not elite. He is getting paid because Buffalo has no other choice.

He's not elite, but if it's true that they were dangling 4 years / 25 million with 15 million guaranteed . . . . . they could of easily franchised him and negotiated those terms. Clay has had a few nagging injuries and a player wants that "long term security". He would of agreed to a similar deal.

Miami could of structured it on their terms.

Then again, maybe Miami really didn't want him. We'll never know.

I also think that Mike Pouncey is overrated. When he was out the last two years the line played a lot better. He came back and the line play dropped significantly.
I think he's at the exact same level as Clay: average players that will make a good play from time to time but that cannot be relied on for a full year. Buffalo is vastly overpaying for Clay. I hope we don't match.

He's not elite, but if it's true that they were dangling 4 years / 25 million with 15 million guaranteed . . . . . they could of easily franchised him and negotiated those terms. Clay has had a few nagging injuries and a player wants that "long term security". He would of agreed to a similar deal.

Miami could of structured it on their terms.

Then again, maybe Miami really didn't want him. We'll never know.

Its easy to say that in retrospect…but there would have been a lot of people including me pissed off if they franchised Clay at 8+ million. He just is not worth that much to me.

The only way he comes back is if he basically says he will restructure NEXT year, and no not a pay cut but restructuring into a signing bonus for example so we don't take a 12 mil cap hit in 2016. Unless the contract forbids him restructuring but I highly doubt that. They would still be taking a 12 mil hit or whatever it is this year though which is rough. Not worth the money but man hate to see the guy a Bill

You can call the Dolphins a lot of things but cheap is not one of them. Every year, they are willing to pay (Dansby, Wallace, Albert and now Suh) and a lot of times paying big money hasn't worked. My goodness, their owner just scratched a cheque for $60 million for Suh and you're calling them cheap?

You're missing the point. They didn't want Clay at the franchise number or they would've done it. They only tagged him at the lower number to give the right to match if it was a reasonable offer he got or no offer at all. NO ONE was chasing Clay other than Buffalo. He's not that good, that's why. They replaced him with a better player. They're moving on.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Its easy to say that in retrospect…but there would have been a lot of people including me pissed off if they franchised Clay at 8+ million. He just is not worth that much to me.

The only way he comes back is if he basically says he will restructure NEXT year, and no not a pay cut but restructuring into a signing bonus for example so we don't take a 12 mil cap hit in 2016. Unless the contract forbids him restructuring but I highly doubt that. They would still be taking a 12 mil hit or whatever it is this year though which is rough. Not worth the money but man hate to see the guy a Bill

I don't think you can restructure for one year after matching an offer. I could stand corrected but I'm almost positive that's how it works.

I don't think you can restructure for one year after matching an offer. I could stand corrected but I'm almost positive that's how it works.

Right thats what I was saying. You agree to the terms but then a year from now you restructure his deal. Again not asking him to take a pay cut, he's not going to agree to that…but you reallocate money into a signing bonus to reduce that year 2 cap hit.

You can call the Dolphins a lot of things but cheap is not one of them. Every year, they are willing to pay (Dansby, Wallace, Albert and now Suh) and a lot of times paying big money hasn't worked. My goodness, their owner just scratched a cheque for $60 million for Suh and you're calling them cheap?

You're missing the point. They didn't want Clay at the franchise number or they would've done it. They only tagged him at the lower number to give the right to match if it was a reasonable offer he got or no offer at all. NO ONE was chasing Clay other than Buffalo. He's not that good, that's why. They replaced him with a better player. They're moving on.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

actually you can after one year, but do they want to?

:lol: that is the exact point. Nobody came after Clay because Buffalo made it clear that they wanted him and were willing to pay for him, just like the Dolphins did with Suh.

You think a million dollars means anything in this situation? You franchise him to make sure that you have the rights to get a deal done, and not give a team like Buffalo the right to structure a deal to **** you over. On top of that, it gives you the opportunity to negotiate some compensation if a team really wants him in a trade.

There is a reason why hardly ANYBODY uses the transition tag, and we are seeing the fruits of that decision right now. It's free agency . . . a 1 million dollar difference for a guy you had 4 years for 2 million means very little . . . you can easily chalk it up to "well he earned it". It's one year.

Nah, Miami didn't think Clay would command attention and tried to be cheap. Just like placing the 2nd round tender on Wes Welker. They needed to cover their ass better than what they did.

There's other examples, but consider this simple one: Dareus had his 10th sack week 10 (during a 3 sack performance--which was an anomaly). From then on he did not record a sack. There looks to be a similar trend with tackles. Seems he wasn't around the ball as often as the season went on. Of course, this is a very simple analysis. Just sayin'.
Maybe because the final 4 weeks of the season he had to try and sack Rodgers, Manning and Brady........he got hurt early in the Raiders game and didn't return.

Back
Top Bottom