Clemons has to be much better than 2009 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clemons has to be much better than 2009

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
-- you -- must also realize many things have to come together perfectly for that to be possible. One of those many things is that free safety Chris Clemons becomes a good player back there in only his second second.

The Dolphins initially tried to hire a proven, veteran free safety in the offseason, offering free agent contracts to both Ryan Clark and Antrel Rolle. Neither signed, obviously. The team also talked to the agent for O.J. Atogwe but didn't dive into the deep end of that possibility.

So Clemons is the player the Dolphins are putting their hopes on to start. The job seems his to lose when camp begins on Friday.

But according to Sam Monson and his staff at ProFootballFocus.com, hoping Clemons can respond may require a good amount of faith based on his rookie season.

Clemons got limited snaps on defense -- 89 of them to be exact -- but to quote Monson, "none make for good reading."

"He made five tackles, but only one of them was counted as a defensive 'stop' in our grades, and he missed 2 along the way," Monson writes. "

"He was thrown at seven times where he was the defender in primary coverage, resulting in 4 catches (57.1%) for 80 yards and a TD, and a QB rating of 136.9 when throwing into his coverage.

It was not, however, all Clemons' fault.

"To be fair to him," Monson added, "more than 50% of his coverage numbers are as the result of a 54-yard TD pass from Big Ben [Roethlisberger] to Mike Wallace in the Week 17 encounter on a play where Sean Smith and Nate Jones both made an instant mess out of their close coverage on Santonio Holmes and Wallace respectively, freezing Clemons out of position deep in the middle of the field trying to cover both receivers on the wrong side of their corners."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ping-the-dolphins-become-a.html#ixzz0ur2WvVoD

[video=youtube;cX4p_qJOJrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4p_qJOJrs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am scared ****less of our free safety position, ****less!

I am scared ****less of our free safety position, ****less!

Me too that is why i hope that our offense can score like almost every drive and keep the ball as long as they did in the colts game ha. Free safety needs to be address. Wonder if we are waiting on someone... Is there anyone worth taking a bite for...

I don't think Clemons can be any worse than Wilson.

Nobody can be worse than Wilson and I can't blame the Fins for not trying to fill the position, they made a lucrative offer to Rolle and tried real hard to sign Clark, they just lost in all their tries. They even contacted the Colts about Bethea and were in contact with Atogwe's agent

I don't think Clemons can be any worse than Wilson.

He is surely a upgrade but not much of one. I am hoping at least that he is embracing the position doing all he can NOW and be ready because you know every offensive coach we vs is going to attack him.

The way I see that Ben to Wallace play, Clemons bears 0 responsibility. I have no idea how PFF could put that completion on Clemons.

Clemons was in deep coverage on Santonio Holmes and only turned to chase down the play when he saw the pass going to the other side of the field.

The truly amazing thing is, that he actually got anywhere near the intended WR. He actually had a shot at knocking out the ball before Wallace crossed the goal line.

The guy should be getting huge props for a great hustle play and some very impressive speed, not having his stats skewed by a play he bore no responsibility for.

That is just a bad observation by PFF. The play was broken because of Nate Jones terrible defense.

The way I see that Ben to Wallace play, Clemons bears 0 responsibility. I have no idea how PFF could put that completion on Clemons.

Clemons was in deep coverage on Santonio Holmes and only turned to chase down the play when he saw the pass going to the other side of the field.

The truly amazing thing is, that he actually got anywhere near the intended WR. He actually had a shot at knocking out the ball before Wallace crossed the goal line.

The guy should be getting huge props for a great hustle play and some very impressive speed, not having his stats skewed by a play he bore no responsibility for.

That is just a bad observation by PFF. The play was broken because of Nate Jones terrible defense.

They did the exact opposite.

Anyways using stats on a player who had 89 snaps is at best irrelevant and at worst seriously misrepresentative of his playing ability

Funny that minutes after I posted the Reshad Jones news from the NY Times, Salguero posted this article on his blog. I wonder if guys in the media now have jumped on the Reshad Jones bandwagon or if they know something we don't

Clemons only gave up a couple of passes from what I can
Remember(Winslow catch in TB game). It was more of his passiveness that gave him problems. He needs to be attacking on instinct

Clemons only gave up a couple of passes from what I can
Remember(Winslow catch in TB game). It was more of his passiveness that gave him problems. He needs to be attacking on instinct

That is exactly what I think about Clemons, I think he is soft.

Back
Top Bottom