Cleo should have started after Daunte was yanked. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cleo should have started after Daunte was yanked.

Superself

If you want to, we can supply you.
Club Member
Reaction score
I really do not see how Saban could make the decision to use Joey over Cleo. That is blind loyalty IMO. Cleo has out played Joey in every setting.

Saban's best choice was to coach Cleo up as much as possible and let Joey back him up. Cleo opens up the playbook more and is harder to defend. He sees the entire field and makes smart decisions. The guy just keeps getting better and better.

Saban just made another really bad decision.

At the time when daunte was out, saban wanted to put the more experienced QB in. Joey was brought in as a solid backup who had several years of experience as a QB, that's why saban chose him over cleo.

It looks like a bad decision now but early in the season many people wanted to see if Joey could probably do well in another offense.

Like that throw that almost got Welker killed and the pass intercepted? A blind person could see that the Dolphins offense was so conservative the first half...it reminded me of wanny ball. If Chambers had caught just one of those long passes....every one would have said that Harrington played great...so what about Chambers play?

You don't start a third string QB unless you have no choice...EVER. Lemon was completely unproven, and Daunte was pulled early in the season. Start Lemon then, you lose the team, and Saban would have been heading to Alabama for sure.

Harrington may not have played great, but he has experience and has kept us in most of the games. The fact is, the offense is bad from the top down...it isn't just a matter of Harrington or Lemon.

We had to run a high school offense for Cleo because of his lack of grasp of our playbook. That may work if you come in off the bench and noone's prepared for you and your skill set but within two weeks of starting he would get killed in that simple offense when defensive coordinators would be able to gameplan for him. Saban made the right choice. Cleo needs to spend the offseason studying game film and the playbook if he wants to be a legitimate backup

We had to run a high school offense for Cleo because of his lack of grasp of our playbook. That may work if you come in off the bench and noone's prepared for you and your skill set but within two weeks of starting he would get killed in that simple offense when defensive coordinators would be able to gameplan for him. Saban made the right choice. Cleo needs to spend the offseason studying game film and the playbook if he wants to be a legitimate backup

Agreed.

You don't start a third string QB unless you have no choice...EVER. Lemon was completely unproven, and Daunte was pulled early in the season. Start Lemon then, you lose the team, and Saban would have been heading to Alabama for sure.

Harrington may not have played great, but he has experience and has kept us in most of the games. The fact is, the offense is bad from the top down...it isn't just a matter of Harrington or Lemon.

You don't see the problem with that thinking?

Ever? Please. We are the perfect example of why you shouldn't allow your thinking to be so narrowminded. Lemon was unproven...ok, so how much better did we do with Joey back there? Like I said, Lemon has outplayed Joey in every chance he has gotten.
Every person who watches football know what Joey is and how much he can bring...so we tried to prove we were smarter here and make a turd shine??
Well it didn't work and here we are looking at Lions fans pointing and laughing saying I told you so.

I don't care what offense you run...if in the NFL you can orchestrate a TD drive with that offense, then why does it matter where it originated from?

As I said, Cleo opens the playbook up more and he keeps getting better. Joey is what he is and is NOT going to get better.

Who would i of known at the point Joey had more starting experience, but now that ive seen it i would of started Lemon instead of joey.

What's your point? Is Joey, as our 'starter,' studying this same 'high school' playbook, and as a 5-year veteran, able to execute said plays?? Are you suggesting Cleo DOESN'T study game film and the playbook NOW as a Miami Dolphins QB????

If Cleo isn't a legitimate backup, he wouldn't be on our roster. A backup is a backup, whether you're 2nd-string Joey Harrington or 4th-string Shane Matthews.

Like that throw that almost got Welker killed and the pass intercepted? A blind person could see that the Dolphins offense was so conservative the first half...it reminded me of wanny ball. If Chambers had caught just one of those long passes....every one would have said that Harrington played great...so what about Chambers play?

Are you serious? How many times has Joey left a receiver out to dry or had a pass almost intercepted ? A blind person could see that the Dolphins offense was way more effective with Lemon than with Harrington.

What?!? Cleo has been in this system for almost two whole seasons now. How can you say he hasn't grasped the offense? The truth of the matter is that Mularkey likes to move the pocket and run pass plays with the QB on the move. Lemon is clearly more effective at doing that than Harrington. It's asinine to think the offense was "dumbed" down for a guy that's been here for this long.

Lemon made an ill-advised throw into triple coverage and hit Welker on the numbers. The problem was in read of the zone that would develop after Cleo released the ball.

Unfortunately that happens to even the most experienced receivers. I remember a heated argument between Marino and Duper when Marino made the same mistake that left Duper out to dry.

It happens...The only cure for that is experience...

cleo is mobile, and he is good prospect, he should at least started the buffalo game, he could broguht a tony-romo type spark to the team, i like cleo's future he is a decent prospect who just needs more snaps.

Back
Top Bottom