Cliff Avrill Info | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cliff Avrill Info

munchkin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There are some rumors of a possible trade with the lions. At first I thought it was completely false but some very respectable finheaven posters have stated that they are also hearing the same thing and it looks like it may be Cliff Avrill that the Fins are targeting. So here is some info on the potential Dolphin

Cliff Avril info
6-3 253 23 yrs old
3rd round pick by Detroit 2 yrs ago. Decent career so far with the lions, 5.5 sacks 1st yr. 5.0 sacks in his 2nd.

Plays DE for the lions but projects as a OLB for the Fins

Put up some pretty decent numbers last year. Can't say I seen him play though. Nice size, only 23, could be a nice sleeper pickup at OLB.

I think Avril now weighs in the 265 pound range from what I've heard.

They asked him to gain weight to play DE, he actually would play better around 250 and I don't think he would have a problem standing up.

"""It was the main reason Detroit ranked 32nd against the pass. Eight players saw snaps regularly; just one of them – DE Cliff Avril – deserved to. (And Avril, a better run-defender than pass-rusher, didn’t exactly shine.)"""

Link->http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/state-of-the-lions-what-the-2009-film-revealed/

Him being a 3rd round pick and playing for cheap would cost us a higher draft pick then if he made a lot of money.

So him palying up to the 3rd round he was drafted in would end up coasting us a 3rd or 4th round draft pick imho

That wouldn't be so bad even if he only played two downs and started on the other side of JT.

"""It was the main reason Detroit ranked 32nd against the pass. Eight players saw snaps regularly; just one of them – DE Cliff Avril – deserved to. (And Avril, a better run-defender than pass-rusher, didn’t exactly shine.)"""

Link->http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/state-of-the-lions-what-the-2009-film-revealed/

Him being a 3rd round pick and playing for cheap would cost us a higher draft pick then if he made a lot of money.

So him palying up to the 3rd round he was drafted in would end up coasting us a 3rd or 4th round draft pick imho

That wouldn't be so bad even if he only played two downs and started on the other side of JT.

What?

How do we know it's Avrill we are trading for? It was reported that the Dolphins and Lions were discussing a trade for a player, it could be Calvin Johnson for all we know.

I doubt that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to have the dude, but right now we don't have the luxury to just give up high picks for players. Those picks are way too valuable to us right now.

If it is Avrill for a 4th rd pick, I think he would compare very favorably against any OLB that may be available in the 4th rd of this years draft

Plus he has 2 yrs of NFL experience and is only 23 yrs old. Although he will still have to make the transition from de to OLB but most anyone available in the draft would have to make that same transition.

Just because he was drafted in the 3rd round doesn't necessarily mean that's what his worth is. I guess it's possible, but I'm guessing he can be had for a 4th.

That being said, if he's a good run defender like I'm hearing, I'm all for trading for him.

He didn't play well last year. Anybody telling you that is pulling your chain.

He had to be replaced toward the end of the year with a guy they picked up off waivers.

He had some speed but he just isn't a good pass rusher.

Look at Gholston,Harvey, and so many others recently. A guy needs more than ability to pass rush. He needs something greater inside.

Even the super gifted Julius Peppers under achieves most of the time.

Maybe they plan on converting him to ILB because he doesn't have a chance of competing with Wake, and I think we are bringing back JT. If we aren't we are just plain stupid.

We sure could use a playmaking Will LB.

Back
Top Bottom