Closer Look at Grier's Drafts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Closer Look at Grier's Drafts

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread about getting rid of Grier and wanted to do a deeper dive on his time as Miami's GM. My concentration is entirely on the draft, as that is the lifeline of the team.

First Draft 2016

1. Laremy Tunsil LT
2. Xavien Howard CB
3. Kenyan Drake RB
3. Leonte Carroo Wr
6. Jakeem Grant Wr
6. Jordan Lucas Cb
7. Brandon Doughty Qb
7. Thomas Duarte TE

Tunsil and Howard (who Grier traded up for) were absolute home runs. Drake has been up and down, but showed with the Cardinals what he can do with a competent offensive line. Grant is probably on his last legs with Miami, but has flashed big-play ability. Miami traded up for Carroo and he didn't pan out. Lucas was a contributor for several years. Overall, I'd give this draft an A/A-.

2017 Draft

1. Charles Harris DE
2. Raekwon McMillan LB
3. Cordrea Tankersley CB
5. Isaac Asiata OG
5. Davon Godchaux DT
6. Vincent Taylor NT
7. Isaiah Ford Wr.

Harris was a bust and TJ Watt was still on the board. McMillan was a two-down run stopper. Tankersley had a decent rookie campaign and is currently on the taxi squad. Godchaux is a decent starter, while Ford is coming along. Overall, this is probably a D draft.

2018 Draft

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick S
2. Mike Gesicki TE
3. Jerome Baker LB
4. Durham Smythe TE
4. Kalen Ballage RB
6. Cornell Armstrong CB
7. Quintin Polling LB
7. Jason Sanders K

Fitzpatrick didn't fit in Miami, but he looks like a top-tier player in Pittsburgh. Gesicki is coming on strong, looking the part of a top 10 tight end. Baker is a playmaker, but somewhat inconsistent. Sanders has been a nice 7th round add. Overall, I'd say this is a B/B+ draft.

2019 Draft

1. Christian Wilkins DT
3. Michael Deiter OG
5. Andrew Van Ginkel LB
6. Isaiah Prince RT
7. Chandler Cox FB
7. Myles Gaskin RB

Too early to grade, but looks pretty average. Wilkins is solid. Deiter is probably a backup. Gaskin is coming on.

2020 Draft

1. Tua Tagavailoa Qb
1. Austin Jackson Ot
1. Noah Igbinoghene Cb
2. Robert Hunt Ot/Og
2. Raekwon Davis Dt/De
3. Brandon Jones S
4. Solomon Kindley OG
5. Curtis Weaver De/Olb
5. Jason Strowbridge De
6. Blake Ferguson Ls
7. Malcom Perry Wr.

The early returns on the 2020 draft look impressive. Jackson, Igbinoghene, Kindley and Jones are all starting. Kindley has been outstanding. Of course, the Tua pick could determine this draft and most expect he will be a top quarterback. Grier didn't trade up to get him, which played out well for Miami. Too early to grade, but has potential to be an A draft.

:dead::dead::dead:

Take a look at Belichick's drafts. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/bill-belichicks-worst-nfl-draft-picks-round-patriots

Every team has draft busts and no one hits on 100% of their picks or free agents.

It’s basically the 16 draft (which I’m not sure how much say he had in but anyways) and the tua pick that is carrying this entire thing.

and we traded one of the 16 draft grade carry pieces. So yeah it’s not very good. Frankly

:dead::dead::dead:

Take a look at Belichick's drafts. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/bill-belichicks-worst-nfl-draft-picks-round-patriots

Every team has draft busts and no one hits on 100% of their picks or free agents.

So? I hope no one is saying "Wish Grier drafted as well as Belichick!!!"

Thank you for laying it out this way. Hadn't looked at it like this before. His drafts have been brutal.
Granted, 2017 was brutal missing big on Harris and getting a limited linebacker in the 2nd round. I think if you compare these five drafts with other teams, though, Grier has done at least slightly above average. There are some really good players in these drafts.

It’s basically the 16 draft (which I’m not sure how much say he had in but anyways) and the tua pick that is carrying this entire thing.

and we traded one of the 16 draft grade carry pieces. So yeah it’s not very good. Frankly
Agree on the Tua pick. That's what will determine the 2020 class.

We can look at all those past drafts and some he had control like 2019 and others he had50/50 or less control. Most of the picks it seems he picked what the Head coach wanted at that time and as of currently. Dont get me wrong there were ALOT of horrible picks ESPECIALLY missing out on TJ WATT when most of Draft gurus on the Draft section of this site was slamming the table for Watt and as was I. But to be fair 2019 season and the way they gutted the roster and gotten all of those picks and set up the funds for Free Agency was a VERY NICE set up for the 2020 season. Yes we not seeing the results right now but just like last year am expecting the team to flourish and come together as the season progresses. Long story short am 60/40 on him as of now. I really liked that he had gotten outside help by hiring those executives from other teams to help him in the scouting department. Seems as though its paying dividends in how the rookies are starting and looking like they BELONG.

Bro there are guys out there, exceptional talents and scouts with a passion for the Miami Dolphins to succeed. We need a new director and new culture in Miami. These last few years have been brutal with dumb move after dumb move.

All of Grier's extensions have underperformed their contracts. All of them. Hopefully DVP will be the exception this year.

Other than his trades, I think we can find lots of people in NFL and football circles who could transform this team and replace the product he is producing.

Bill Belichek can have bad drafts because he does the drafting and coaches scrubs up into football players (culture) while when we do draft someone good like Minkah Fitzpatrick we dont even know how to utilize them properly. Grier is worse at being GM than Bill Belicheck is at being GM all while being a coach. No ****ing doubt about it. Easily. Anyone who would even compare the two are in the same class is delusional.

The real question should be, who would we ideally replace him with?

If I was Ross, I would offer Ozzie Newsome a record deal to bring him out of retirement to try to turn this team around.

Last edited:
Your draft misses aren’t as noticeable when you have an elite quarterback. Have an elite head coach along with him and your drafts almost don’t even matter - as long as you know what you’re doing in free agency. Every draft hit is simply a bonus.

When you have neither an elite QB or head coach, every draft miss is magnified. Which is why it’s so critical to get your young franchise QB in place on a rookie contract as quickly as possible. You can start from there.

Starting from anywhere else is just a long winding road back to where you are.

It doesn't matter how Drake or Fitzpatrick or other players perform on teams outside of the Dolphins. A good draft pick is a player who performs well for the team that drafted them or at least contributes to the team that drafted them. The Tampa Bay Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him.

A lot of those players are no longer on the Dolphins and that is the sign of bad drafting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom