Closer Look at Grier's Drafts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Closer Look at Grier's Drafts

I’m right down the middle when it comes to Grier. I will admit that when he misses, he finds a way to turn it in to a full blown catastrophe. That 2017 draft is about as brutal as you’ll ever see. Probably one of the worst drafts in Franchise history.

That being said. Wilkins is starting to make Grier look good for making that selection a year ago and the early returns on the 2020 draft suggest that Grier may have finally made the right selections that will end up turning the Miami Dolphin Offensive Line into a position of strength for the first time in over a decade. Jackson and Kindley are looking great, Hunt is getting playing time in jumbo packages and us looking good and FA olinemen are contributing.

The fact of the matter is, if Tua ends up living up to the hype, and the 2020 draft ends up being what finally fixed the Dolphin OLine, all the drafts before that aren’t going to really matter to Stephen Ross. Grier will have officially bought himself more time. Be that a good thing or bad thing.

If you are referring to Tunsil and Fitzpatrick that is 2 players out of 23 total drafted between 2016-2018. What about the other 21 players selected? Furthermore while they were solid players for us Fitzpatrick wasn't an All Pro until he went to Pitt. Like I said the Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him same for the falcons GM not getting credit for drafting HOF QB Brett Favre.

We have 3 draft classes from 2016, 2017, and 2018. Out of those 3 how many players are currently starters? How many players are making positive contributions on this team. How many are JAGS and how many are actually good players? Sure Tunsil and Fitzpatrick weren't necessarily bad picks but what about the other 21 picks?

1. Laremy Tunsil LT--Gone but fine they offered a kings ransom so not too upset
2. Xavien Howard CB--starter-good player
3. Kenyan Drake RB--gone
3. Leonte Carroo Wr--gone
6. Jakeem Grant Wr--contributes--JAG
6. Jordan Lucas Cb--gone
7. Brandon Doughty Qb--gone
7. Thomas Duarte TE--gone

1. Charles Harris DE--gone
2. Raekwon McMillan LB--gone
3. Cordrea Tankersley CB--gone
5. Isaac Asiata OG--gone
5. Davon Godchaux DT--starter--JAG
6. Vincent Taylor NT--gone
7. Isaiah Ford Wr.--jag

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick S--gone but traded for a 1st
2. Mike Gesicki TE--Starter--good player
3. Jerome Baker LB--Starter--JAG
4. Durham Smythe TE--jag
4. Kalen Ballage RB--gone
6. Cornell Armstrong CB--gone
7. Quintin Polling LB--gone
7. Jason Sanders K--Starer

Out of 3 draft classes and 21 players not names Fitz or Tunsil we ended up with 3 good starters in Howard, Gesicki, and Sanders. That makes it bad drafting.

I was responding to "

A lot of those players are no longer on the Dolphins and that is the sign of bad drafting."

well, what that'd mean is that even if they were good players they were not a good fit for us so pretty much the wrong player for OUR team was drafted.

Tunsil was a fit, but the trade offer couldn't be refused. MF didn't fit. Who else?

Until we can get a coach to stick around for a few years evaluating a Dolphins draft is difficult when you consider every new coach we have had comes in cleans house of the veterans and pull in guys that fit their new scheme. That's a disadvantage.

IMO Grier's gotten better in the draft value wise and aquring draft picks and manuvering around in the draft. His picking has improved.

Free NFL agency has not been impressive based on price and value.

Resigning our own players I would give a lower round grade.

This years draft and next years draft will make or break Grier. So far looks like he did a good job with this years class. I actually think Grier has done a good job in drafts his free agent acquisitions worry me a little more

If you are referring to Tunsil and Fitzpatrick that is 2 players out of 23 total drafted between 2016-2018. What about the other 21 players selected? Furthermore while they were solid players for us Fitzpatrick wasn't an All Pro until he went to Pitt. Like I said the Bucs GM doesn't get credit for drafting HOF QB Steve Young, Bill Walsh gets credit for trading for him and developing him same for the falcons GM not getting credit for drafting HOF QB Brett Favre.

We have 3 draft classes from 2016, 2017, and 2018. Out of those 3 how many players are currently starters? How many players are making positive contributions on this team. How many are JAGS and how many are actually good players? Sure Tunsil and Fitzpatrick weren't necessarily bad picks but what about the other 21 picks?

1. Laremy Tunsil LT--Gone but fine they offered a kings ransom so not too upset
2. Xavien Howard CB--starter-good player
3. Kenyan Drake RB--gone
3. Leonte Carroo Wr--gone
6. Jakeem Grant Wr--contributes--JAG
6. Jordan Lucas Cb--gone
7. Brandon Doughty Qb--gone
7. Thomas Duarte TE--gone

1. Charles Harris DE--gone
2. Raekwon McMillan LB--gone
3. Cordrea Tankersley CB--gone
5. Isaac Asiata OG--gone
5. Davon Godchaux DT--starter--JAG
6. Vincent Taylor NT--gone
7. Isaiah Ford Wr.--jag

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick S--gone but traded for a 1st
2. Mike Gesicki TE--Starter--good player
3. Jerome Baker LB--Starter--JAG
4. Durham Smythe TE--jag
4. Kalen Ballage RB--gone
6. Cornell Armstrong CB--gone
7. Quintin Polling LB--gone
7. Jason Sanders K--Starer

Out of 3 draft classes and 21 players not names Fitz or Tunsil we ended up with 3 good starters in Howard, Gesicki, and Sanders. That makes it bad drafting.
Technically Cordrea Tankersley is not gone. He is on the practice squad.

I think he's actually done pretty well. There are some players I would have drafted differently with other names on the board, but that's just me. Compare him to the other 32 teams GMs and I think he's in the top half.

I disagree with discounting players who are doing well on other teams. He selected those players because he saw their potential, if the current coach can't get them to fulfill that potential, that's on the coach. ESPECIALLY if the player moves on to another team and the player excels (Fitzpatrick is a perfect example of this). Most of this board were begging us to play him at safety and coaches had a different ideas. That's on them, not Grier. IMO Grier solved our safety position for the next 10-12 years and the coaches blew it.

Last edited:
I appreciate the post, and you know I think you’re a fantastic contributor here with your posts.

You’re giving him double credit at times. For example, you give him credit for drafting Fitzpatrick and then give him credit again for Jackson. Sure, you can try to justify it but in the end you haven’t improved the team with two players. It improved by one player. Miami now has a big need at safety. So the positive grades become inflated and misleading. To be fair, I’d knock the Fitzpatrick down significantly if you save the A for the 2020 draft. That would represent the improvement to the roster better.

Beyond that, Grier was here, eventually in prominent positions, for some 17 years of dismal drafting. He may not have had the final call, but he’s one of the guys finalizing the data and information on guys that he likes. For example, if he really, really wants a player, he could advocate for a better player.

I do think the 2020 draft is likely the best draft we’ve had since the 1990s. But I look at Marvin Allen—who was around fantastic drafts in KC and Buffalo, and think that he’s a big factor in the Improvement.

I think he's actually done pretty well. There are some players I would have drafted differently with other names on the board, but that's just me. Compare him to the other 32 teams GMs and I think he's in the top half.

I disagree with discounting players who are doing well on other teams. He selected those players because he saw their potential, if the current coach can't get them to fulfill that potential, that's on the coach. ESPECIALLY if the player moves on to another team and the player excels (Fitzpatrick is a perfect example of this). Most of this board were begging us to play him at safety and coaches had a different ideas. That's on them, not Grier. IMO Grier solved our safety position for the next 10-12 years and the coaches blew it.

If he's in the top half of GM shouldn't we be in the top half in terms of talent on the team?

If the coach the GM hired can't get them to fulfill their potential that's on the GM that hired the coach as much as it is the coach.

Bro there are guys out there, exceptional talents and scouts with a passion for the Miami Dolphins to succeed. We need a new director and new culture in Miami. These last few years have been brutal with dumb move after dumb move.

All of Grier's extensions have underperformed their contracts. All of them. Hopefully DVP will be the exception this year.

Other than his trades, I think we can find lots of people in NFL and football circles who could transform this team and replace the product he is producing.

Bill Belichek can have bad drafts because he does the drafting and coaches scrubs up into football players (culture) while when we do draft someone good like Minkah Fitzpatrick we dont even know how to utilize them properly. Grier is worse at being GM than Bill Belicheck is at being GM all while being a coach. No ****ing doubt about it. Easily. Anyone who would even compare the two are in the same class is delusional.

The real question should be, who would we ideally replace him with?

If I was Ross, I would offer Ozzie Newsome a record deal to bring him out of retirement to try to turn this team around.

Epic

Back
Top Bottom