Coach before Shula | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coach before Shula

Wow I am really shocked someone doesn't know who that is. No offense, but even my wife knows who he is. But my wife probably knows more football than most other wives, I'm a lucky dude.

IMO not knowing about Bear Bryant is like not knowing about Shula...or maybe Halas.

The younger generation may know him as the coach for Forrest Gump? Thing of that plaid fedora hat that was his trademark.

Yep...it was a 5 year, $1.7 million offer.....

Here's some Bear Bryant facts for those that may not be familiar with him...

When he retired...he was the all time winningest coach in college football history with a 323-85-17 record....(.780 winning percentage)...

He amassed 6 National Championships and 13 Conference Championships....

Bear also went 60-23-6 at the University of Kentucky from 1946-1953, and an eventual share of the National Title......which is quite an awesome feat in itself...

A very little known fact about Bear Bryant was that he was also selected in the 4th round by the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1936....

Bear Bryant fought long and hard with University presidents to let him integrate the football programs at both Texas A&M....and Alabama....

He's also reguarded by some as the man that invented the 3-4 defense that went on to become a staple of dominant NFL defenses by the likes of Dick Lebeau....Bill Parcells....and others...

Bear Bryant's offensive coordinator at Alabama, Howard Schnellenberger, also went on to become the offensive coordinator under Don Shula in Miami's 1972 undefeated season...

As a proud Bama guy....I got to meet Bear Bryant several times in the late 70's when my father used to take me to Legion Field to watch Bama play.....and he was simply head of the class as far as head football coaches go....and always will be...

Back
Top Bottom