Coach Grades Baker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coach Grades Baker

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
bx4q0zlfngbndfofkqgz

Third-round pick Jerome Baker said linebacker coach Frank Bush gave him “harsh” grades for his first game, but he’s good with that.
“Expectations are so high for me, but I want that,” he said, noting that even if he made a tackle, he was graded down if it wasn’t exactly how the team wanted.
“I love being a rookie,” he said. “They are counting on me. Today, someone said, ‘Bake, we need you this week. I want them to look behind and know they can trust me.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article218028170.html#storylink=rss

Great attitude by the Rookie. If he keeps up that mentality he'll grow.

However, I have to admit, while taking the first game into account, it was disturbing to see he and McMillian not really have any splash plays.

Good Ol' Alonso was the only LB in the group that stepped up.

I agree, Kiko played very well. I'm still afraid teams are still going to be able to exploit him in coverage.

Great attitude by the Rookie. If he keeps up that mentality he'll grow.

However, I have to admit, while taking the first game into account, it was disturbing to see he and McMillian not really have any splash plays.

Good Ol' Alonso was the only LB in the group that stepped up.

Was it really disturbing? I thought it was widely expected that our LB unit was going to be weak... overall, our defense was more of a pleasant surprise than anything disturbing - lack of pass rush and lack of LB splash plays and all.

I can live without splash plays by the LBs as long as they tackle well, and aren't a liability. I remember everyone hating the Dansby led LB units and wanting those guys replaced, which we did only to go through almost a decade of LB hell. I'm content with solid LB play and splay plays by our DBs and DEs. And I think Baker and McMillan will solidify the unit as they mature. The talent appears to be there, and both kids seem sharp with good attitudes. Just let them grow. And if those two can solidify the unit, maybe Kiko IS worth keeping around, because he absolutely will give you the splash plays.

I'm not high on Baker overall, but I do love his attitude and athleticism. Has a chance to develop into a solid LB, but I think people overrate his ceiling - because of his athleticism.

THeyre completely different linebackers and have different asks, but I’m still more intrigued w/ the potential of Baker than I am McMillan. I said it last week, but people are due for mild dissapintment in McMillan. I don’t believe he’ll ever escalate to much more ham he is now and what he’s always been, a highly intelligent assignment sound physically limited linebacker that will get torn up in coverage if exposed to it too often. He’s not your side line to side line rangy backer that I think a lot of people are hoping he will be

We need him to study more, do more film work and stuff outside of practice. The kid can run, everybody knew that … but he needs to be running to the right place and doing the right thing when he arrives. Right now he is probably the biggest liability on our defense. Baker needs to buckle down and grind. I'm not excited about an athletic kid who thinks he can coast.

I can live without splash plays by the LBs as long as they tackle well, and aren't a liability. I remember everyone hating the Dansby led LB units and wanting those guys replaced, which we did only to go through almost a decade of LB hell. I'm content with solid LB play and splay plays by our DBs and DEs. And I think Baker and McMillan will solidify the unit as they mature. The talent appears to be there, and both kids seem sharp with good attitudes. Just let them grow. And if those two can solidify the unit, maybe Kiko IS worth keeping around, because he absolutely will give you the splash plays.

Fair enough!

But, if there is one play that I'm cringing just thinking about, and you know it's coming in the jets game---The Derrick Henry called back TD and Mcaffery not called back TD.

Wake and whomever else on the left side of the DL, LB group need to get their crap together.

I'm not even going to mention the safety, McDonald. The Dolphins need to pull the trigger on that guy already.

I'm not high on Baker overall, but I do love his attitude and athleticism. Has a chance to develop into a solid LB, but I think people overrate his ceiling - because of his athleticism.

I hate to say it but this may be true. Hopefully, it's not!

Back
Top Bottom