coaches and players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

coaches and players

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
You can't gut the team, too many signing bonuses involved. If we just gut we won't be able to replace the "gutted" players.

But my question is: those who believe that we should "gut" the team do those people also think that the coaching staff should go.

If we are a 4-12 team..no doubt we have bad players and probably a bad FO as well. But who is at fault this year?

You can not argue with the talent we have on D and some on O. Now, have those players not performed because a) they have failed individually because of poor execution or b) they have failed because the coaching staff has failed to put them into a winning position?

I find it quite interesting how some people say we should gut the team and fire the coaching staff. But being close for the last 4 years I highly doubt that it is both sides but rather one or the other.

I.e. In the first NE game we drove down twice for the winning FG. Dave has been called gutless and playing not to lose. BUT if Mare makes either of the two we win. On the other hand: Shanahan kept running Portis eventhough he was well within FG range. And the Broncos may now pay dearly.

Against Indy: if Brian does not fumble the ball we most likely score a TD with just about 2 min left to go and most likely win.

Against NE #2: If Jay does not fumble we most likely score as well on that drive.

Those are three losses against tough opposition we could have had won IF our players would have executed.

Look at NE and everybody is saying how well this team is coached. They do not play any better than us. They just make less mistakes. They don't blow people out any more than we do.

True Wannstedt has pissed me off many times but can any other coach suddenly get rid of the poor tackling, or missing blocks, or fumbles? I thought those are the basics. Those are tought in HS, College and you learn anew when you enter the NFL...not a 10 year, 4 million dollar athlete. If those basics are missing than I have to blame the players first and foremost.

I look at the last game. I went with someone who is even less football literate than I am. That person made an observation and directed the
following question at me: "why do the Eagles offensive players always gain so many yards after the initial contact and ours just fall down?"

Sounds like a stupid question but for the most complicated problem there is always a simple solution: we do not tackle well on defense, we approach opposing players in the wrong angle and on offense we are not as determined as other teams. We show a lackluster effort at times on both sides of the ball. Will a new coach suddenly get rid of all those "deficiencies"?

Or should we get rid of some players to show "hey, your job is not safe anymore"?

I really don't want to be in Wayne's shoes right now and make that decision which will determine the future of our beloved Dolphins. One thing I can tell for sure. If an 8-8 season or even an 11-5 season is deemed a failure to some I do not want to know what "fans" will do or say if we would go 4-12 or 5-11 for a few years....that will be a record you can expect if you just "gut" the team.
Is a new coach good enough to just insert new life into this team and all those basic skills (or lack therof) will suddenly miraculous return?
And if so..who will be the coach? Green? he couldn't handle two superstar attitudes (Cullpepper and Moss). Think he can handle 11 star attitudes on defense?
A college coach? Look at the recent success of college coaches jumping into the NFL: Spurrier, Erikson, Davis and Holtz a few years back. Does Saban still sound as THE coach for the Dolphins?
Reeves? He was let go because he was deemed to soft. Fassel? Dumped because he couldn't get the Giants out of a funk.

Atlanta, Giants, maybe Buffalo, will be looking for coaches. A few may be added. The competition will be tough and the available options will be few.

Since this post is not about one player, one coach rather than open questions to be answered I don't want to hear "fire wannstedt" or "its all Jay's fault" or "it's all the defense fault". Evaluate and let the season pass by you. Think about our losses, not wins. How often were we just one or two plays away from winning and who messed up or who was at fault. Did the coaches put us in winning position? Did we lose because of a bad play call or individual mistakes or mistakes as a unit?

Here are the games I want you all to look at: both NE games, Indy game, Houston game and Eagles game....5 losses...could we have won those with a different coach and same players or could we have won those games with proper execution. These are the only two questions you have to answer.

My best guess is that those who want to "gut" the team, dont really want that. They would just be willing to get rid of a few "overpaid", or older (or injury prone) players on defense, in hopes to add that cash to the offense.That would be where I stand, as well.

There will be no "guttage"!

salaries will be paid in 2004 to the players who earned them in 2003.

That does not include Sam Madison, Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, James McKnight, Olindo Mare, and Brian Griese.

Sam and Olindo are the only guys who would be welcomed back to Miami, at a significant reduction in salary.

Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain, Ricky Williams, Jason Taylor, Chris Chambers, and Randy McMichael make this team chapable of winning any game.

in 2004, we will have cut the fat that prohibits us from winning EVERY game.

Tough question to answer but the team is a reflection of the coach...and Wanny needs to go. I don't think that Wanny prepares this team well at all. We've heard that other teams say...just wait the Fins will screw up soon and breakdown...and the players are begining to believe this and then guess what...it happens!!! I think that getting rid of Wanny will be a step in the right direction...this team has regressed under him...he's got more talent on this team now than he had when he became coach and they've gotten worse. This team gets penalized a lot...stupid penalties. In the first Pats game when Mare F-uped...an article came out that said that Wanny did not have Mare kick on the dirt...this team is mentally weak...just like the coach...the team is soft just like the coach. With the talent on this team...we should not have one play being the deciding factor of the game...we should be giving other teams an a$$ whoppin!!! Yes, I believe we would have won with another coach and same players we need a coach who prepares his team better than Wanny.

Its not all Wanny's fault but he stuck with Fiedler and brought in Griese...that has not worked out either. I don't think he or his qbs manage the game well and make big mistakes. We have also seen this D play bad at the end of the season before and it looks like its going to happen again.

We need a new coach first and some player personnel changes as well.

every where i go i see pepole bash mcknight why? he has come up big in several games this year. the giants game he had a 70 yard reverse for td whasington 80 yard passing td a big runback on a reverse kickoff monday night and several BIG catches for 1st downs he is the fastest player on our team yet it seems like everybody wants him gone why? for what reason? what does the guy have to do to be liked.

That was "THE" best post put up on here in a long time, a little long, but filled with the GOSPEL. Tell it like it is FFiB. Some of these know-it-alls wont feel you tho bro, but take it from me, you are absolutely focused on the problems at hand without putting anyone on blast but at the same time keeping everyone of them accountable! Coaches and players. Excellent! I would only add, "Fire Norv" and bring in fresh ideas for a fresh league. Those old Emmit,Irvin, Aikman plays are all played out!LOL!

catch the ball...he has horrible hands...remember that playoff game in Miami vs. the Ravens??? He dropped an easy catch in the endzone...oh and the main reason why he'll be gone is because he is not a #1 or #2 wr and we're paying him like one!!!

I just hope we get away from the "keep it close, and win it in the fourth" philosophy.

Originally posted by Executioner
I could arrange an accident...
Problem solved.:evil:

But they'd still count against the cap. The photo in your profile has me strangely arounsed though. :tongue:

Excellent post FFiB. The competition of other teams looking for coaches combined with 'thin' talent at the coaching position will make a search for a new coach difficult. I'm not against getting rid of DW if there is a clear upgrade to fill the position, and right now I'm not convinced I see that.

However, a new coach may have surprising success despite a significant change in the team. Ironically, you can see that example nicely defined by the success the Dolphins had in their first season under DW.

I think moderate changes might be to try and sign Brunell and offer Jay a paycut, then focus on offensive line. That might be enough to get more consistant performance out of the offense, and take pressure off the defense. In my mind, that comes down to more consistant line play, and more consistant passing to compliment the running game.

But I'm not adverse to an upgrade at ANY position, its just not always as simple as it sounds.

Excellent post.

Houston game -- poor decision by JF killed a potential game winning drive in the 4th quarter (QB). stupid comments made by one of our players before the game threw gas on houson's spark. (Coach/Player)

NE1 -- Sammy Knight's lack of speed was exposed on a long pass play in OT while JT did jumping jacks. (Players -- specifically DL lack of a pass rush) Mare tells coach he doesn't need to practice kicking off the dirt and Wanny says ok. (Coach - kicker's don't decide if/when they should practice)

Indy -- No half time adjustments to acct for Freeney (Coach). We see what happens when a high first round pick goes up against a 3rd round project LT. (Coach, OL Coach).

NE2 -- Taking the wind in our face for the 2nd and 4th quarter. (Coach). Having a gameplan in place that does not account for the weather, again no half time adjustments. This was the game for Ricky to get 40 carries (Coach). Poor decision by Jay give NE the pick and TD. (QB)

Philly -- Lack of discipline. (Coach, Players) INT in 4th quarter AGAIN. (QB)

There are the answers... A lot of it was Dave, and a lot of it had to do with crappy OL play and QB play.
This is what happens when a team does not address it's biggest need. I guess we all shouldn't be surprised this is what screwed us in the end.

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
catch the ball...he has horrible hands...remember that playoff game in Miami vs. the Ravens??? He dropped an easy catch in the endzone...oh and the main reason why he'll be gone is because he is not a #1 or #2 wr and we're paying him like one!!!

that was 2 years ago...

I was one of McKnight's biggest critics over the years....but he has come a long way. He has done everything asked of this year and performed at a consistent level this year.

Back
Top Bottom