COACHES CORNER: How can we determine if our Offensive staff are creating success and giving us an advantage? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

COACHES CORNER: How can we determine if our Offensive staff are creating success and giving us an advantage?

I’m familiar with both terms Mach, I don’t mind him running for a few carries a game to keep the defense honest, i trust he knows how to protect..and when it comes to the west coast offense relative to Tuas skillset, when I study Tua, he plays the game with angles in mind, he cuts the field into angles, I see all the routes in a west coast scheme being right up his alley.

I didn’t mean that the west coast runs the RPO stuff just that I want some sort of hybrid out there..
I think most offenses are hybid to some extent these days, so yeah I'm with you there.

Not with you on designed runs for Tua though.

If we call an RPO, and it's covered, sure he has to take what's there, but read options like Jackson and Murray run? No bueno, IMO.

I think most offenses are hybid to some extent these days, so yeah I'm with you there.

Not with you on designed runs for Tua though.

If we call an RPO, and it's covered, sure he has to take what's there, but read options like Jackson and Murray run? No bueno, IMO.
Gase is a prime example of square pegs and round holes, he's just going to pound those ****ers in there and say "I don't have the right players".

As in everything Dolphins, I'll agree in general, but have a few tweaks. Coaches can adjust to injuries . . . to an extent. But, because of cap, NO team is deep enough at every position to successfully play next man up. No, not even BB. Excluding that, yeah, a lot of football is being assignment sound. Beyond that, injuries matter.
Agree completely with game plan/adjustments. Every team makes adjustments every game, but game plans should focus on weaknesses of the opponents and finding mismatches. It's been a l-o-o-n-g time since I've sen that consistently in Miami. I hope the O ex-Chan correct that.
Disagree on core players. Shut down just a couple of guys on the opposing O and victory is more likely. The standard game plan of NE. A top O can say 'well, if you take away Hill, we'll move to Kelce,' or take away the pass, we'll run it.' That's part of the game plan the OC/HC develops. (Side note; I'm always amazed teams that play NE seem unprepared when BB takes away their main weapon.) Now some good teams have enough 'core' players, the D can't stop them all, but "consistent production each week from our core focus players (plural)" seems unrealistic.
I agree on identity and variations in O (another staple of NE). Hate to focus on one guy, but the O needs a QB who can take advantage of EVERY mistake by the D. Guys like Brees se a Dman running of the field and call a quick snap. 'Thanks for the 5 yards.' 28-30 other QBs wait, gentlemanly, until the Dman gets off the field. Ahead in 4Q? Milk the clock. Again, I'm surprised how often that's NOT done. Little things. Yeah, the coaches can tell the QB, but shouldn't have to.
As far as Miami, this is a tough call. New OC(s). Better WRs. A year's experience for the OL and an off-season in the weight room. TT in better health and an of-season to learn the nuances. I have no idea if Miami's O will be better or not. SHOULD be, but I've been a Dolphin fan longer than most here and am on first name basis with disappointment. Still, I'm optimistic and am VERY interested in the OCs.

"... be on a first name basis with disappointment …" - LOL

Do you have "Disappointments' " jersey? - LOL

I just don't know what to expect with our offense. I'm assuming the Shanahan running game because of studesville but godsey came from o'brien. So I can't figure out which one we will get.

I want to see a lot of motion and shifts like everyone else. I also want to be aggressive which is something flores or Gailey didn't want to do. I think the draft will determine what to expect based on those first four rounds.
I thought I'd come back to your statement since there is a great article about our OC situation and the link to what I suspect our staff wants to do scheme wise in drafting TE Kyle Pitts.
https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-case-for-drafting-kyle-pitts-grows-stronger

Another fantastic article citing why the Dolphins might be looking hard at TE Pitts. This story discusses OC Godsey's coaching the TE's and having a history with the Patriots offensive machine back when they had Gronk and Hernandez. It's entirely possible we plan on going with the 2 headed monster that Gesicki and Pitts can provide. Really good stuff!
Pitts final.png

Attachments

• Pitts final.png
    Pitts final.png
    533.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Complete guess on my part, I have no inside knowledge on our staff...but my guess is Godsey will have more to do with implementation of our base scheme and have Bill O'Brien formations and scheme (motions / shifts), etc. He has a background already in being an OC. That's not to say Studs won't have influence. I fully expect to see his Shanahan influence in our scheme too. I suppose to be fair it depends on who we draft. So far our roster could run both IMO but if we Draft guys like RB Harris, TE Pitts, etc all that could lean to one more than the other. Personally, I want to see us run an Alabama friendly scheme in terms of finding some of the things Tua does exceptionally well and go from there.

Play to the strengths of the available talent. What a novel concept in Miami recently. I am looking at you Principal Joe & Wild Eyes.

I thought I'd come back to your statement since there is a great article about our OC situation and the link to what I suspect our staff wants to do scheme wise in drafting TE Kyle Pitts.
https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-case-for-drafting-kyle-pitts-grows-stronger

Another fantastic article citing why the Dolphins might be looking hard at TE Pitts. This story discusses OC Godsey's coaching the TE's and having a history with the Patriots offensive machine back when they had Gronk and Hernandez. It's entirely possible we plan on going with the 2 headed monster that Gesicki and Pitts can provide. Really good stuff!
View attachment 73959
Good stuff right there. I studied Mullen's use of Pitts in the red zone and you should watch how much they were running through him. Even if it meant being the decoy, his superior athletic ability as a reciever and tight end forced the defense into some serious binds. Mullen did a great job of using motion an shifts to determine whether pitts was the primary read or not. Gave florida a ton of favorable red zone looks as well, since the defense would commit an extra man to Pitts.

Good stuff right there. I studied Mullen's use of Pitts in the red zone and you should watch how much they were running through him. Even if it meant being the decoy, his superior athletic ability as a reciever and tight end forced the defense into some serious binds. Mullen did a great job of using motion an shifts to determine whether pitts was the primary read or not. Gave florida a ton of favorable red zone looks as well, since the defense would commit an extra man to Pitts.
Yeah a guy with his skillset is just a fantastic tool all over the field, but especially the Redzone. Everyone knows the run is a immediate threat in the red zone, but if you key the run with guys like Pitts in the game he'll burn you for an easy score. Another real problem for defenses with Pitts / Gesicki in the game is which player personnel do you use. Normally you want bigger stronger defenders in the game in the redzone, but that package is NOT going to cover us with our twin monsters in the game. You go big we pass... you go small we run down your throat. Win win. Easy for our coaches to see which defensive package is on the field when we call plays. If we can't win doing that we have larger problems.
Also, watching film Pitts is really good lining up wide on slants, skinny post, and ally oop, and in the slot on zigs and delays. Deadly good on those routes in the redzone. Pitts will also demand better cover people to guard him and I'd suspect Gesicki's numbers will jump up as well.

Last edited:
Nice discussion. Who would y'all say BB would try and take away for the Dolphins? If he succeeded, who would be the next go-to guy?

Because of all our transition with new coaches and players, plus the upcoming draft I don't think any of this has been identified yet. It's a whole new thing that we will be looking at on offense. Defensively it's a whole lot easier to answer that question.

A lot of confusion that comes up with discussions of RPO's are because at the high school level involves giving the run option read to the QB because a lot of the programs that use them have their best athlete at QB. They do run some RB run option RPO's (where the RB gets a handoff in the run-pass option) but more often it's the QB running the ball. In college it balances out a bit more, but I'd say more often than not the RPO still involves the QB running over the RB (it gives an additional fake or blocker).
In the NFL, you see a lot less QB run RPO schemes. It's more often than not an RB run option even with teams with really good running QB's because frankly they get whacked too hard too often when they try to run the high school / college version of RPO's in the NFL.

Good coaching has nothing to do with win lose.

Good coaching is about develop a long term plan, getting the most suitable players for your plan, and put the players in situations to best utilize their talents.

Once you do that, winning is just a byproduct of the success of the first three factors.

Back
Top Bottom