Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season.

One thing that bugs me massively in RPO is where the RB/QB interaction is not sold properly. A well faked handoff or faked " rollout and throw" only has to fool one defensive player for one second for it to hugely impact the success of the play.

You're talking about nothing more than getting a D player on his heels or breaking down or taking a step in the wrong direction to create the necessary soft spot for a play.

The amount of scheming OCs do to try to generate the same thing is crazy. And yet you see RPO/PA plays all the time where the QB and RB give minimal effort to faking the play. It's such an easy fix too..
They aren't trying to "fake" anything. It is an option, where they are forcing the defender to choose. Whatever the defender's choice dictates the option chosen.

In PA and PA-type RPO decisions by the QB, they are faking, are they not?

I'm fully aware they don't encompass all RPO plays or anything near it but I'm talking about those that do.

In PA and PA-type RPO decisions by the QB, they are faking, are they not?

I'm fully aware they don't encompass all RPO plays or anything near it but I'm talking about those that do.
If it is PA, then by definition it is not an RPO, as there is no post snap run option to a PA pass, not to mention the difference in O-line assignments.

I suggest you watch the Sark video provided by OP.

Last edited:
Nevermind. We're on parallel tracks.
Just trying to differentiate the definition of the two terms brother.

A play action is not an RPO.

Now you could run a PA off an RPO look, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve in affecting a defense in an advantageous way, and even then it wouldn't be RPO.

Can you give a specific mechanics play example to what you are referring?

I'm not trying to be arguementative at all. I actually enjoy scheme discussion.

I'm really shock at the lack of understanding RPO. Guys there is so much great info posted just in this thread! Check out the videos. Get to know it since it looks like it will be a focus of our offense. Stop over thinking things. Its really a very basic system. Don't relate it to a quarterback option. They are not similar. Start there and enjoy getting to know our new system!

Now you could run a PA off an RPO look, but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve in affecting a defense in an advantageous way, and even then it wouldn't be RPO.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but what I understood from the Sark clinic and all the other material provided in the OP is that there are pre and post snap RPO’s.

In a post-snap RPO, you are right in that the QB is not actively trying to fake out the defense when handing the ball to the RB and then pulling it out for a pass.

In a pre-snap RPO, though, it is decided before the snap whether it will be a hand off or a pass. In these pre-snap RPO’s there can be an element of a fake handoff built in to the play... and I agree with Fin Thirteen that a well executed fake can be the difference between a positive play and negative one.

My only guess is maybe he's referring to, if it's a pre-snap read, and the numbers game tell the quarterback that it's a pass. Yet the line is still run blocking, but what I think he's failing to see on those type of RPO plays a minimal fake or no fake at all takes place, because the mismatch has already been determined pre-play. So the wide receiver is open like yesterday.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but what I understood from the Sark clinic and all the other material provided in the OP is that there are pre and post snap RPO’s.

In a post-snap RPO, you are right in that the QB is not actively trying to fake out the defense when handing the ball to the RB and then pulling it out for a pass.

In a pre-snap RPO, though, it is decided before the snap whether it will be a hand off or a pass. In these pre-snap RPO’s there can be an element of a fake handoff built in to the play... and I agree with Fin Thirteen that a well executed fake can be the difference between a positive play and negative one.
That's to a degree and that's all dependent on what route trees are being ran, some may require a good fake to hold the defense a little bit, but some may also require the ball being thrown right away.

This is a breakdown of the RPO by one of the best RPO coaches in football at the Nike Coach of the Year clinic that I've attended almost every year for 32 years.

As big as Alabama is they could easily load the box themselves and just maul defenses up and down the field, but they understand the importance of attacking space and taking advantage of leverage and numbers when you have it. These simple RPO’s are just that, simple! They make it easy on a QB as he has to get a pre-snap read of the numbers in the box, depth of corners, and alignment of apex defenders. Majority of the time, Bama is facing a loaded box which makes it an easy decision for Jones to hit the perimeter with the pass option. This is a great lesson for the rest of us high school and youth football coaches. Even the best team in the nation with a great coaching staff keeps it simple and doesn’t over complicate the offense.

Alabama RPO

RPO = RUN PASS OPTION. Pre snap RPO’s are different than the common post-snap RPO’s where the QB will either give the ball to the back, or throw the football based on the given conflict player. In a pre snap RPO, the QB is going to decide to either throw the ball to one of his receivers, or give the ball to the back based on the look that he gets before the ball is snapped. In a pre-snap RPO, there is no “mesh point” between the QB and the RB like there is in the post-snap RPO’s. Alabama utilized some simple pre-snap RPO plays early against Notre Dame in the semifinal game. Let’s take a look at a few of them.

You will notice that the RPO doesn't require the QB to run the ball. The RPO is either an RB run or a pass to a WR/TE.

All of this stuff can easily be googled all over the net. The commentary you see is from the sites that had the video support.
All of it is 100% reliable in terms of what the RPO is at Alabama and all those that copy them.

If you want to know all the read breakdowns and rules/responsibilities ... here you go:

As yet, there is no evidence of an RPO focus. Rumors, predictions, comments, but no evidence. I expect RPO, but I don't expect a heavy reliance.

To me the clips look like a version of the play action pass. Seems like the real threat to opposing D's is a mobile Qb ... the threat of either the Qb OR Rb running the bal AND the threat of the passing game rolled into one play ...

Why is a fake to the Rb and a pass to the receiver a RPO instead of a play action pass?

Wouldn't a team need the run game to already be a threat before this is effective?

Isn't a running/mobile Qb the key to RPO's? Because the Qb is the only skill player that's not usually "covered"?

Just curious ... would love to know someone's take on my comments/questions
Why is a fake to the Rb and a pass to the receiver a RPO instead of a play action pass?
Because it's based on a read of the defense. Some RPO's use before the snap reads and others after the snap similar to how an option play in the old days would be ran.

Wouldn't a team need the run game to already be a threat before this is effective?
Not necessarily. Because again it's a read of the defense and a player in conflict on Defense that's being read. So if the read is to run it rather than pass it, then you'd think there is a higher likelihood that the run should work.

Isn't a running/mobile Qb the key to RPO's? Because the Qb is the only skill player that's not usually "covered"?
While some RPO plays do in fact have the QB running the ball, the popular Alabama RPO system rarely if ever used the QB as the run option (you will see that in the film I posted). The more popular RPO system has RB's running the ball and WR's and TE catching it.

I'm really shock at the lack of understanding RPO. Guys there is so much great info posted just in this thread! Check out the videos. Get to know it since it looks like it will be a focus of our offense. Stop over thinking things. Its really a very basic system. Don't relate it to a quarterback option. They are not similar. Start there and enjoy getting to know our new system!

This is a high quality thread. Almost like it doesn't belong on the free section of the forums lol
LOL. Thanks MP-Omnis

Scotty nailed it. The Op has all the film you need and the last link is an actual coaching playbook breakdown of the key reads and goals of the offense. Keep in mind too, I only chose to post bubble screen and other short RPO plays. They have other packages that attack the middle of the field or even deep areas on more aggressive routes. I just thought it would be easier to understand if I just focused us on the short ones because I think its much easier to see what we are reading and how the attack works.

Teams that want to play 8 in the box can be made to look like Chumps by the RPO, that's why I'm glad to see it coming to Miami with Waddle and Tua.

Back
Top Bottom