Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaches Corner: What you can expect to see with the Dolphins RPO focus this season.

As yet, there is no evidence of an RPO focus. Rumors, predictions, comments, but no evidence. I expect RPO, but I don't expect a heavy reliance.
I think the fact that we already started the process of adding more RPO into our system after we made Tua our starter makes it pretty obvious that we are moving that direction. How much? Only time will tell. Something else that you might read into more RPO is that Gailey leaving may have had a lot to do with this scheme decision by Flores. Anyhow - regardless of the fact that the season hasn't started yet and all we can do is discuss rumors, predictions, etc that's exactly what the offseason is for. We don't keep a forum active by not discussing hopeful or probable football talk. There's enough very knowledgeable football people discussing Miami using the RPO enough to make it a good subject for us to discuss especially since everything our team has done to improve involves supporting Tua. Using a scheme that had him become one of the most talked about college football players in NCAA history would probably be a good move by our staff.

Aside from the film breakdown above showing we have already started implementing the RPO as part of our scheme for Tua (not much at all for Fitzmagic) here is some of the discussion coming into this year about our focus on supporting Tua in schemes he's good at and with players that are explosive and can exploit defenses, especially vs man coverages when 8 are in the box.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores believes that Waddle can take advantage of one-on-one matchups. He told local reporters via Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, that Waddle has the speed to take advantage of favorable alignments when defensives load the box.

“I think it [helps] a lot,” Flores said. “I think if you’ve got guys who can run on the perimeter, if you load the box, there’s more opportunity for 1-on-1 matchups and opportunities downfield. Defenses have to make that decision when you have those types of players on the field and again, if you don’t load the box and you play for those big plays, then there’s less people in the box and less people to block and I think it really becomes kind of a numbers math game. If you get those guys blocked, there’s more space to run.”

Flores just explained what he expects Waddle to do in our RPO package when we get the pass read.

The biggest takeaway with regard to offensive scheme is Flores didn't think all of the Dolphins' 2020 offense was bad. Flores likely wants to run some of the run-pass option principles that were successful under former coordinator Chan Gailey. Studesville and Godsey give the Dolphins two younger but experienced coaches who will adjust to specific personnel, run an offense that features tempo, shifts and motions, and ultimately employ a better blend of college and pro-style offenses.

Building the Dolphins to Support Tua

Discussion of RPO in Miami:

Dolphins coordinators describe 2021 offense.

https://www.miamiherald.com › sports › article251639248

Other RPO trends / News:

I think the fact that we already started the process of adding more RPO into our system after we made Tua our starter makes it pretty obvious that we are moving that direction. How much? Only time will tell. Something else that you might read into more RPO is that Gailey leaving may have had a lot to do with this scheme decision by Flores. Anyhow - regardless of the fact that the season hasn't started yet and all we can do is discuss rumors, predictions, etc that's exactly what the offseason is for. We don't keep a forum active by not discussing hopeful or probable football talk. There's enough very knowledgeable football people discussing Miami using the RPO enough to make it a good subject for us to discuss especially since everything our team has done to improve involves supporting Tua. Using a scheme that had him become one of the most talked about college football players in NCAA history would probably be a good move by our staff.

Aside from the film breakdown above showing we have already started implementing the RPO as part of our scheme for Tua (not much at all for Fitzmagic) here is some of the discussion coming into this year about our focus on supporting Tua in schemes he's good at and with players that are explosive and can exploit defenses, especially vs man coverages when 8 are in the box.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores believes that Waddle can take advantage of one-on-one matchups. He told local reporters via Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, that Waddle has the speed to take advantage of favorable alignments when defensives load the box.

“I think it [helps] a lot,” Flores said. “I think if you’ve got guys who can run on the perimeter, if you load the box, there’s more opportunity for 1-on-1 matchups and opportunities downfield. Defenses have to make that decision when you have those types of players on the field and again, if you don’t load the box and you play for those big plays, then there’s less people in the box and less people to block and I think it really becomes kind of a numbers math game. If you get those guys blocked, there’s more space to run.”

Flores just explained what he expects Waddle to do in our RPO package when we get the pass read.

The biggest takeaway with regard to offensive scheme is Flores didn't think all of the Dolphins' 2020 offense was bad. Flores likely wants to run some of the run-pass option principles that were successful under former coordinator Chan Gailey. Studesville and Godsey give the Dolphins two younger but experienced coaches who will adjust to specific personnel, run an offense that features tempo, shifts and motions, and ultimately employ a better blend of college and pro-style offenses.

Other RPO trends / News:

Excellent thread and all encompassing info Mike.

The discussion goes well beyond the superficial, which is a great thing, as many may miss the nuances of the RPO.

It really gets interesting when OCs, and players, get comfortable enough to start moving/influencing defenders with motion and movement.

For it to work tobits ultimate potential, all the skills have to be on the same "page", and make the same reads.

Other RPO trends / News:

Nice thread! I really enjoyed the Tua RPO Sampler. He does a great job explaining the concept of both the offense and defense against it. Are we going to use the RPO all the time, or just periodically during a game to give the defense something extra to prepare for?

Nice thread! I really enjoyed the Tua RPO Sampler. He does a great job explaining the concept of both the offense and defense against it. Are we going to use the RPO all the time, or just periodically during a game to give the defense something extra to prepare for?
My opinion is well see a good amount but not all the time. It will be awhile before NFL coach is going to be willing to go 100% RPO...if ever

My opinion is well see a good amount but not all the time. It will be awhile before NFL coach is going to be willing to go 100% RPO...if ever
I agree with you 100% I see no possibility of an NFL team ever going 100% RPO. RPO severly limits what routes your recievers can run because the oline is run blocking and if you wait for longer routes to develop they'll be too far downfield when the pass is thrown and it'll be an inelligible receiver downfield penalty. A team would have to be sold out to under cutting slants and outs for the most part.
That being said you can use pure play-action to develop routes down field where there is no run option but you try make the defense think there is, however you can usually tell a PA from the broadcast view because the oline pass blocks, generally. This can lead to delayed hand offs and draw plays where you let the edge rushers go past you and just run right at them. The problem is if you only attack one way the defense will key in and eventually shut it down. Doing a variety of plays keeps a defense off balance and on their heels.

The full RPO system is really big, in fact in some schemes it can definitely be the big focus. Some high school schemes use it as a "Check with me" type scheme where each call has two reads and the defense front decides which call is used - one a run and the other a pass. We clearly were using that type of RPO when some of the film breakdown on Tua was being emphasized. The philosophy of the RPO shouldnt concern anyone. It's the ultimate "take what the defense is giving you" philosophy.

Sark and others might technically know the RPO. But if you really want the best you gotta go to the best. And that is none other than Chip Kelly. Even Nick Saban sought out Chip to learn the RPO.

Just like the run and shoot, the best was Mouse Davis then June Jones.

The full RPO system is really big, in fact in some schemes it can definitely be the big focus. Some high school schemes use it as a "Check with me" type scheme where each call has two reads and the defense front decides which call is used - one a run and the other a pass. We clearly were using that type of RPO when some of the film breakdown on Tua was being emphasized. The philosophy of the RPO shouldnt concern anyone. It's the ultimate "take what the defense is giving you" philosophy.
Hence, the focus on players who can motion and get off the line fast to accommodate Arya’s quick release?

Hence, the focus on players who can motion and get off the line fast to accommodate Arya’s quick release?
Oops! I meant. " to accommodate Tua's quick release". Damn! Autocorrect on my iPhone gets me all the time! Sorry about that!

Does the selection of Hunter Long (hopefully a more tradition in-line Y than the BIG slot which MG is) aid with the RPO? As you now have 6 potential run blockers and he can "block or leak". So does the D cover 3 or 4 receivers?

Does the selection of Hunter Long (hopefully a more tradition in-line Y than the BIG slot which MG is) aid with the RPO? As you now have 6 potential run blockers and he can "block or leak". So does the D cover 3 or 4 receivers?
Not sure there is really an advantage one way or the other, as it relates to RPO, in terms of blocking.

The fact that Long would seem to be more "sudden" in route breaks could be though.

I just wanted to bump this and say that in our Falcons game we saw a good portion of the RPO concepts and some of the specific plays featured in this thread. For you guys interested in X's and O's I'd check this out as it will help you understand a lot of what we do!

Daddy tua-tagovailoa.gif

I'm sick of this RPO stuff. But I'm drunk. Maybe the run pass dink dunk bomb fumblerooskie hook and ladder screen is the best option. RPDDBFHLS(tm). :bnkr:

This is a breakdown of the RPO by one of the best RPO coaches in football at the Nike Coach of the Year clinic that I've attended almost every year for 32 years.

As big as Alabama is they could easily load the box themselves and just maul defenses up and down the field, but they understand the importance of attacking space and taking advantage of leverage and numbers when you have it. These simple RPO’s are just that, simple! They make it easy on a QB as he has to get a pre-snap read of the numbers in the box, depth of corners, and alignment of apex defenders. Majority of the time, Bama is facing a loaded box which makes it an easy decision for Jones to hit the perimeter with the pass option. This is a great lesson for the rest of us high school and youth football coaches. Even the best team in the nation with a great coaching staff keeps it simple and doesn’t over complicate the offense.

Alabama RPO

RPO = RUN PASS OPTION. Pre snap RPO’s are different than the common post-snap RPO’s where the QB will either give the ball to the back, or throw the football based on the given conflict player. In a pre snap RPO, the QB is going to decide to either throw the ball to one of his receivers, or give the ball to the back based on the look that he gets before the ball is snapped. In a pre-snap RPO, there is no “mesh point” between the QB and the RB like there is in the post-snap RPO’s. Alabama utilized some simple pre-snap RPO plays early against Notre Dame in the semifinal game. Let’s take a look at a few of them.

You will notice that the RPO doesn't require the QB to run the ball. The RPO is either an RB run or a pass to a WR/TE.

All of this stuff can easily be googled all over the net. The commentary you see is from the sites that had the video support.
All of it is 100% reliable in terms of what the RPO is at Alabama and all those that copy them.

If you want to know all the read breakdowns and rules/responsibilities ... here you go:

VERY cool Mike…really helps lazy asses, like me, better understand this nomenclature we keep hearing so much about.

Thanks brother.

Back
Top Bottom