Coaches On Ronnie.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaches On Ronnie....

/\/\ i A /\/\ i

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jon Gruden

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said Auburn running back Ronnie Brown stunned him at last month's scouting combine by "displaying the best hands of any prospect, including wide receivers."

Lovie Smith

"You talk about unselfish, I mean, most of the time, running backs say, 'Hey, I'm the man, give me the ball,' " said Lovie Smith, the Chicago Bears coach. "You got Ronnie Brown lining up as a fullback. How many great tailbacks line up as a fullback? He's also on the punt team. You talk to both of them, they want to give the other guy a lot of credit."

Dennis Green

"All three of these players have huge upsides or they would not be here. I think what you see with Cedric Benson and Carnell Williams right now is pretty much what you will see forever. That is not a bad thing, said Dennis Green. "I just think that they have hit their near-maximum capability and you know what type of running back you have with them. [Ronnie Brown] is on par with both, but he has the potential to be great at ALL aspects of the game. He has better hands and blocking desire than the other two backs…and I think this is what sets him apart from Benson and Williams."

Jack Del Rio

"Does it all. Can catch the ball. An outstanding receiver and route runner. Big, strong, physical, fast. I'm a little leery of the fact that he doesn't have a lot of playing time . . . but when he did he was very productive. He will be a big-time back in the NFL. He's a stud."

Mike Shanahan

"Cadillac's more of a slashing runner, a guy that can make you miss," said Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan. "Ronnie's more versatile from the fact that he can play fullback and wide receiver (as he did at Auburn). But they're both great backs."

Jim Mora

"Excellent blend of size, hands ,speed, and pound for pound, one of the toughest backs in the last five NFL drafts," Mora said.

Tommy Tuberville

"Ronnie's got the best hands of any player I've ever coached or been around," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "I recruited and coached Rudi Johnson and Deuce McAllister and this guy's got more athletic ability than both of them."

Looks as if Lovie and Gruden really wanted RONNIE.....thank god we took him from them!!!

Nick Saban

"We thought he had the best speed, the best hands, and also the most power of any player we could pick at his position, or just about any other position," Saban said.

Gruden was wanting to trade up for Brown. While he liked Cadillac, I think it was clear that Ronnie Brown was the top back on most boards.

hey its best to hear it from tubbervilles mouth... best hands hes ever coached, and giving him more praise than 2 current NFL probowlers is nice...

I'm really hoping Ronnie Brown becomes the next Bo Jackson...even Bo Jackson "light" would be good enough for me. This guy is an offensive weapon...a legitimate triple threat. Did you guys see the clip where he practically blocked a DB into the first row of the stands?

I love that clip, but my fave is the one against V Tech when he made like 5-6 HOKIES get on his back to try and bring him down

/\/\ i A /\/\ i said:
I love that clip, but my fave is the one against V Tech when he made like 5-6 HOKIES get on his back to try and bring him down

I'd love to see this and perhaps other brown clips, do u know where i could see them..link??

ghost of marino said:
I'm really hoping Ronnie Brown becomes the next Bo Jackson...even Bo Jackson "light" would be good enough for me. This guy is an offensive weapon...a legitimate triple threat. Did you guys see the clip where he practically blocked a DB into the first row of the stands?

Bo "light" might be an okay comparison; even that is a bit "iffy" however. But, Bo was as fast as any human on earth in the 40 - even Deion Sanders. Right at 4.2. As Al Michaels said in the Monday night game against Seattle, "Nobody catches Bo."

Ronnie is fast and could have some great runs if he gets some open holes, but Bo was all world.

I think Ronnie will be a more powerful and better receiving Michael Bennett (when healthy). They both have similar speed.

/\/\ i A /\/\ i said:
Yeah, I didn't like it at the time. From watching that game, Ronnie Brown looked much more impressive that Cadillac. He was a beast!

Nice post. Somebody posted a link to SI and I still have a woody after reading what they said about Brown. Check this out!

From Sports Illustrated:

POSITIVES: Well-built ballcarrier with outstanding size/speed numbers. Patient, waits for blocks to develop. Quick getting to top speed. Gets a good amount of momentum going, puts his shoulders down and falls forward. Displays excellent vision and first-step quickness. Immediately finds the hole and possesses good intangibles. Follows blocks at the line of scrimmage or down the field. Excellent awareness in all aspects of his game. Barrels over defenders between the tackles, yet also displays the speed to get outside around the corner. Easily breaks the first tackle and picks up plenty of yardage off initial contact. Solid footwork for a big ballcarrier. Possesses a burst through the hole, skill running in the open field and always a threat to break the long run. Delivers crushing blows as a lead blocker and turns opponents from the action. Consistently improved as a pass receiver. Makes himself the hot receiver on blitzes to help the quarterback.

Steve

ghost of marino said:

Without the whole career ending hip injury right? OK!

I'm sre this quote has been posted elsewhere. But Saban said of Brown that during Saban's tenure at LSU, Brown was a player he could count on to put half his team in the training room the week after playing them. Good to hear.

Also note that Tommy has coached Deuce McAllister & Rudi Johnson and still said that Ronnie would be the best pro he has ever coached.

Those two haven't done to shabby in the NFL.

I think Ronnie will do wonders in our offense.
Very solid pick.
I liked Cedric's running style a little better, but when you got a guy who can run as well and do the other stuff like play WR and block, well that becomes a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom