Coaching Hypothetical: RT starts, struggles, Fins down at Half . . . What do u do? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching Hypothetical: RT starts, struggles, Fins down at Half . . . What do u do?

What would you do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kdawg954

My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes
Club Member
Reaction score
So it's pretty simple. With the success a healthy Matt Moore played with last week and with the Dolphins seemingly going the route of Ryan Tannehill this week (who looked a bit inaccurate prior to getting hurt last week) . . . if Miami comes out flat on offense, Tannehill struggles and they are down at the half what move should be made?

Just trying to get the idea of the fans in case this situation presents itself on Sunday and we can get honest feelings towards what would be the approach to take. It's very popular to form opinions after the fact so here is your chance to form one before the fact (and hopefully Tannehill is lighting up the Colts and this situation isn't presented).

In no way shape if form do you play Moore because Tannehill is struggling. He is our future and the future looks bright. He is already better than Moore. Benching him could cause major issues for a young QB. He is our QB. Moore is not...

If it's me I make halftime adjustments and go back to work in the second half. I don't see going to qb by comittee or just flying by the seat of your pants when it comes to qb situation. It was meant to be a learning year for tannehill, take his lumps as they come. You don't accomplish that by pulling him when he struggles, by putting in a backup who if not for a great catch by fasano, had a very pedestrian game as well. I don't feel like matt moore came in and lit it up last week by any means, like some guys on here do. he got the job done and that was good, but the main cog in the offense, at least IMO, is RT.

Unless the injury is hampering his ability to make plays, you stick with Tannehill and make the halftime adjustments.

You are gonna keep RT in. He's a rook, you've got to give him a chance to redeem himself. I hate saying this but this is his year to grow. Now weather its like Big Ben or Blaine Gabbert thats yet to be determined.

I don't disagree, but Miami is also 4-3 and Ryan Tannehill is coming off of an injury . . . which for all we know could contribute in this situation arising. It certainly wouldn't be a permanent thing but a coaches job is to make decisions in helping the team win the game that Sunday. Could it cause a QB situaion if Matt Moore comes in and storms the Dolphins back . . . yea it could, but are we more concerned with protecting Ryan Tannehill's feelings or going 5-3? Tannehill doesn't seem like a kid that would get rattled by something like that . . . in fact, I could see him work harder and come back healthier the following week.

All i Know is Matt Moore is very capable of throwing 3 TD. I havnt seen that from Tanne yet. If he isnt 100% you go with Moore

Tannehill is our future and the future looks really bright but its ridiculous that this site acts like Tannehill is so much better than Matt Moore at this stage in his career (I realize Tannehills ceiling is light years higher). If Tannehill struggles due to his injury and we wasted practice reps on him during the week that's on the coaching staff. We have one of the best backup QB's in the NFL, if they're not going to use him we should have traded him last week and got compensation. If Tannehill is hurt let Matt Moore do his job. I'm nervous we will have 2 half prepared QB's instead of one prepared one. I would love to see Tannehill start and outplay Andrew Luck to get a Dolphins win but Matt Moore is completely capable of playing well enough to get a W. To me its laughable that folks think we NEED Tannehill so badly to or we don't have a shot. Then cut Moore because hes a waste of a roster spot.

BTW, I agree if Tannehill starts we have to let him see the thing through. But if they're throwing him out there and it's obvious the injury is affecting his game they're stupid.

stand by your rookie qb.

I don't disagree, but Miami is also 4-3 and Ryan Tannehill is coming off of an injury . . . which for all we know could contribute in this situation arising. It certainly wouldn't be a permanent thing but a coaches job is to make decisions in helping the team win the game that Sunday. Could it cause a QB situaion if Matt Moore comes in and storms the Dolphins back . . . yea it could, but are we more concerned with protecting Ryan Tannehill's feelings or going 5-3? Tannehill doesn't seem like a kid that would get rattled by something like that . . . in fact, I could see him work harder and come back healthier the following week.
Ryan Tannehill Progression > This entire season

Ryan Tannehill Progression > This entire season

This certainly was the case at the beginning of the season and it still is now . . . but when fans see the upcomming schedule and see Jags, Titans, Colts, Bills twice, Seahawks at home . . . and a weak AFC where the Fins have a legitimate shot at a playoff spot, which we have only one in 11 years . . . I think slowly its becomming time to do what you can to win games on Sunday THIS YEAR, even if it means pulling your rookie QB for struggling (be it because he isn't a 100% or not), . . . especially from a fans perspective.

Now I want to clarify, this topic is just for conversation, I fully believe Ryan Tannehill is a better option right now than Matt Moore and he can do things that Matt Moore can't . . . I also know how fans flip flop and say "Philbin should have pulled Ryan and played Moore" when utilizing hindsight. I just want to get a feel for where the board sits on this topic prior to the game tomorrow . . . because I guarantee if Miami is losing 13-3 at the half and Tannehill has like 3 turnovers and is struggling. . . people are going to bring this up and I would imagine it won't be such a "blow out" response as this one seems to be :lol:

I like what I saw from Moore last week. However, I cannot go back on one of my beliefs for the season and that is continuing Tannehill's development. It is his team and he needs to be the guy during the up's and down's.

If he cannot physically compete, that is different. In that case, he should not be out there.

I like what I saw from Moore last week. However, I cannot go back on one of my beliefs for the season and that is continuing Tannehill's development. It is his team and he needs to be the guy during the up's and down's.

If he cannot physically compete, that is different. In that case, he should not be out there.

Well he obviously can physically compete, he may not be at 100%, but even 85 to 90% is doable and the reason why I'm guessing he starts barring no setbacks . . . . but as we say this, if he does struggle tomorrow, you know the "injury" is going to be used as a reason amongst fans/announcers even though I'm sure Philbin/Tannehill wouldn't admit to it or it may not even be the case.

Back
Top Bottom