Cobbs may have been coach's pet, but is he still effective? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cobbs may have been coach's pet, but is he still effective?

callaway1234

Starter
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I loved his versatility pre-injury (offense, special teams, Wildcat) but he looked really slow and plain in the few carries he got last game. Granted it's preseason but it doesn't look like he'll be returning kicks and with Ronnie and Ricky both healthy do you still see him contributing much?

id rather have lex hilliard than cobbs

I've always thought cobbs was below average at everything he does. I don't get why people think he's so great. Yeah he works hard, but he was never a very good RB, he doesn't catch that well out of the backfield and he's terrible returning kicks.

I paid specifically attention to him during his time in the games, and he looked pretty good. Even had a carry where he made a very shap cutback, and made a couple defenders miss.

As a primary RB he will never be any good, but he is good at making holes for the R&R Express.

I love him. He is also used more in trick plays which u wont see in the pre-season. As of 2008, he was one of the best tacklers on KR/PR duties.

Don't seem like the acl injury bothered him at all. He was physical running the ball. Our second and third stringer's didn't give him much to work with. We'll have four running backs going into the season. Cobbs will be one.

I've always thought cobbs was below average at everything he does. I don't get why people think he's so great. Yeah he works hard, but he was never a very good RB, he doesn't catch that well out of the backfield and he's terrible returning kicks.

I've shared similar thoughts for a while now but I wouldn't go as far as you did. I think he's about average at most things which is pretty good to have around as a utility player but the thing is... Hilliard seems at least as fast, runs harder, and catches better. I just think Lex can do anything as good or better than Cobbs can so I'm not sure why there's such a love fest for Cobbs here either.

He's an average back that won't contribute much to this team even though I do like him.

Actually, I think he's an average back that could contribute a lot to this team and that is the difficulty with this situation. We can fit him into a lot of situations, and its really telling just how much the wildcat was stripped back when Cobbs was injured, well before Brown exited. Cobbs knows that to do when he is on the field, and he has never disappointed when his number was called. He fits into plays where no other member of this roster could fill that same role, and that was a big part of our 2008 run.

I think this team loses something if they get rid of Cobbs or Hilliard. The team really has to evaluate Hilliard after seeing him in some actual game action last year and ask themselves whether he is worth keeping around.

Actually, I think he's an average back that could contribute a lot to this team and that is the difficulty with this situation. We can fit him into a lot of situations, and its really telling just how much the wildcat was stripped back when Cobbs was injured, well before Brown exited. Cobbs knows that to do when he is on the field, and he has never disappointed when his number was called. He fits into plays where no other member of this roster could fill that same role, and that was a big part of our 2008 run.

I think this team loses something if they get rid of Cobbs or Hilliard. The team really has to evaluate Hilliard after seeing him in some actual game action last year and ask themselves whether he is worth keeping around.
Cobbs is a good player wihout question, but he won't get too much playing time unless Brown goes down again. We'll see how they use Cobbs this year. It should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom