College Coaching Changes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

College Coaching Changes

Hot damn. I know that SEC > Big 10 when it comes to football, but he had it damn good at Wisconsin. What's the motive?

Money. Bielema is a decent coach, but there are questions.

1.Dude struggled a lot in big games (namely Rose Bowl)
2. How good is he really? He had a GREAT staff at Wisconsin during his run (and a lot of that staff was put together by Barry Alvarez). This year he had no Doeren, no Chrust, no Rudolph (Wisconsin's best recruiter) and no Huxtable (Their second best recruiter). The team really struggled.
3.Bielema doesn't like to recruit
4. He complained about how Urban recruited at Ohio State this year, he's gonna hate the SEC.

It is telling that Wisconsin fans are more upset by the timing than him actually leaving.

Auburn is also about to hire Gus Malzahn. Meaning for the second year in a row, Arkansas State has their coach leave after 1 year.

Petrino to Idaho... Paul Petrino.

Also sounds like Darrel Hazel to Purdue

Bielema to Arkansas is extremely bizarre.

If he didn't like the way Urban recruits, he's in for a bunch of miserable days in the SEC. He's going to have a hard time selling that style of football to recruits in a conference (division) with LSU and Alabama.

Bielema to Arkansas is extremely bizarre.

If he didn't like the way Urban recruits, he's in for a bunch of miserable days in the SEC. He's going to have a hard time selling that style of football to recruits in a conference (division) with LSU and Alabama.

and as I said, Bielema is not a good recruiter. Doeren and Chryst were. They are now head coaches. Chryst took Huxtable and Rudolph with him and they were good recruiters too.

Bielema is a defensive guy. Team struggled this year on offense without Chryst. Yes they didn't have Russell Wilson, but they made a Rose Bowl with Scott Tolzien and were a top 10 team with John Stocco. Common theme? Paul Chryst as OC.

Money. Bielema is a decent coach, but there are questions.

1.Dude struggled a lot in big games (namely Rose Bowl)
2. How good is he really? He had a GREAT staff at Wisconsin during his run (and a lot of that staff was put together by Barry Alvarez). This year he had no Doeren, no Chrust, no Rudolph (Wisconsin's best recruiter) and no Huxtable (Their second best recruiter). The team really struggled.
3.Bielema doesn't like to recruit
4. He complained about how Urban recruited at Ohio State this year, he's gonna hate the SEC.

It is telling that Wisconsin fans are more upset by the timing than him actually leaving.

Auburn is also about to hire Gus Malzahn. Meaning for the second year in a row, Arkansas State has their coach leave after 1 year.

Petrino to Idaho... Paul Petrino.

Also sounds like Darrel Hazel to Purdue

I understand the money aspect, I do. But man, he had it good at Wisconsin. I don't think Arkansas increases his chances to win a National Championship, so money has to be factor numero uno. And maybe the weather. :)

and as I said, Bielema is not a good recruiter. Doeren and Chryst were. They are now head coaches. Chryst took Huxtable and Rudolph with him and they were good recruiters too.

Bielema is a defensive guy. Team struggled this year on offense without Chryst. Yes they didn't have Russell Wilson, but they made a Rose Bowl with Scott Tolzien and were a top 10 team with John Stocco. Common theme? Paul Chryst as OC.

I'm aware, thank you.

It won't be long until an SEC coach flips some Arkansas commit and Bielema pulls his hair out. He's got a lot more than Urban Meyer to worry about 'round these parts.

Sounds like it's Mahlzan to Auburn. Figured that would happen.

Under the radar hire: Steve Addazio to BC. That's a good hire, he's a good coach. Looks like Charlie won't be getting away from him when we move to the ACC.

With the Wisconsin job openning up, Pitt fans better run for their Tums and Malox. They might be searching for a coach...again.

Meanwhile the Gundy to UT rumors are starting to ramp up.

So are the Strong to UT rumors. I'm guessing he's the next head coach at UT.

If he does, he does. With the ACC money we're about to get we'll be jumping from the 16th most profitable athletic department to the top 10. We'll be able to afford just about any coach we want. AD Tom Jurich will just find us another coach and eventually we'll find a coach that wants to be here. Once that happens, look out.

Strong has called a football meeting tomorrow for the team. But here's the catch: it's at 4:30 PM. Most "I've taken another job" team meetings happen in the morning or late at night.

Let's put it this way: if Charlie Strong is leaving the University of Louisville, then he spent this entire last weekend bold-faced lying to a recruit (who then promptly switched his commitment from Ole Miss to U of L because Strong said he's not leaving anytime soon) as well as players on the team (relatives of players have been telling the media that the players have been told by Strong that he's staying). From what I know about Coach Strong is that he's not classified as one of the super-narcassistic/borderline sociopathic coaches ala Todd Graham, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, or Nick Saban.

I'll go out on a limb and say that at some point tomorrow you'll hear that Charlie Strong has signed a very lucrative contract extension with the University of Louisville that makes him one of the highest paid football coaches in college, right up there with Nick Saban and Les Miles. I could be wrong, but as I said I'm going out on a limb.

Cristobal just got fired by FIU

That's crazy. He's a good coach. I dare say Miami should have hired him instead of Golden.

CBS is reporting that UT has offered their head coaching job to Mike Gundy.

Cristobal getting fired was a poor decision, but rumors are that he burnt some bridges with his heavy flirting with the Pitt job last year.

Gundy has been offered the job. If he declines, Strong will be offered the job and reports are he would consider the position but is unsure. With Gundy, I'm shocked to find out he's seriously contemplating the offer. The big issue it turns out is that he and the AD tend to butt heads a lot.

Willie Taggert will interview with Wisconsin today, and Alvarez has requested to talk to Jacksonville DC Mel Tucker about the position. Tucker played for Alvarez at Wisconsin and was a great recruiter for Ohio State from 2001 to 2004. The fear there is Tucker could leave for the pros.

Wisconsin DOES want Paul Chryst, and on the surface it seems like he'd jump at the job; grew up in Madison, played for the Badgers, coached there, but he released a statement saying he's committed to Pit

Chuck Martin, Notre Dame's OC, is the favorite to become Western Michigan Head Coach. Martin was a great coach at Grand Valley State (D2 school in Michigan)

Kent State Head Coach Darrell Hazell officially hired at Purdue. Good hire there.

I will say this, in the past 2 years, I've seen more teams actually make good decisions on who to hire than in previous years.

Back
Top Bottom