Combine Comments & Interest? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Combine Comments & Interest?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
For something different, I am no fan of the combine, and see no reason to adjust players status from it over the watching game film. Who cares what some guys can to in shorts and T's over how they played in games?

As some have pointed out to me in the past, I can see the interviews being important, and a few players from small schools getting their chance. For me, that's about it. Guys now going with "Pro Days" at their own schools had diminished it even more.

What do others think the value is, and will you be watching?

When you look at the Phins potential picks in the trenches, does it matter less?

IMO the combine is just something to make you go back and re-evaluate someone good or bad. It also can make players who weren't on the radar noticed so people go back and watch film on them.

IMO the combine is just something to make you go back and re-evaluate someone good or bad. It also can make players who weren't on the radar noticed so people go back and watch film on them.

You do a great job in evaluating draft picks. How much do you change what you have seen on the field based on the combine numbers?

Have the Olympics...screw the combine this year...

You do a great job in evaluating draft picks. How much do you change what you have seen on the field based on the combine numbers?

It will change them some, especially if the listed height and weights are way off. But the biggest thing like I mentioned before is someone usually catches my eye and I will go back and find clips on them.

It will change them some, especially if the listed height and weights are way off. But the biggest thing like I mentioned before is someone usually catches my eye and I will go back and find clips on them.

Has there been big difference in measurable's in the past? Who has caught your eye in past years to change your rankings?

Have the Olympics...screw the combine this year...

Completely agree. During the Olympics I don't pay attention to anything else. Actually I tape everything and I don't finish watching everything during the Games so I'll still be watching curling, etc. weeks from now.

Maybe by Augusta I'll allow weight to another event. But the Olympics are so amazing that it often takes me 6 months or more to fully care.

I understand there was Dolphin related news on Friday. I'm not going to read the report during the Olympics. But not exactly a surprise that other players were implicated, or that the scope was beyond what we were led to believe. I still have no idea how anyone here expected that to end well, or in Incognito's favor. As always -- big picture. When the story commanded attention during the heart of the NFL season, and no one could remember a similar example, it's not going to be trivial once the details emerge.

Regarding the combine and draft, I hope I never hear again that it's all about the tape. That's the biggest laugh on this forum. You've got to be a fool to believe it. If we learn anything from this episode, it should be that the tape lies all the time if that's all you care about. As I've posted countless times, I grew up with the early '70s teams and remember those guys being interviewed from the first day they set foot on the Biscayne College property. They were smart dedicated guys, with rare exception. There was devastation upon the rare defeat. Forty years later they still represent the franchise well when suited at the White House. Can you image the current goofs 40 years from now? The Dolphins began to drift once Beathard took some chances on low character guys like Darryl Carlton and Donald Reese and Randy Crowder, and it backfired. In recent years I find it hard to get invested in the team because we don't have high caliber people running the franchise, and mediocrities like that won't hire top notch coaches or draft top notch players. It's a natural correlation.

Completely agree. During the Olympics I don't pay attention to anything else. Actually I tape everything and I don't finish watching everything during the Games so I'll still be watching curling, etc. weeks from now.

Maybe by Augusta I'll allow weight to another event. But the Olympics are so amazing that it often takes me 6 months or more to fully care.

I understand there was Dolphin related news on Friday. I'm not going to read the report during the Olympics. But not exactly a surprise that other players were implicated, or that the scope was beyond what we were led to believe. I still have no idea how anyone here expected that to end well, or in Incognito's favor. As always -- big picture. When the story commanded attention during the heart of the NFL season, and no one could remember a similar example, it's not going to be trivial once the details emerge.

Regarding the combine and draft, I hope I never hear again that it's all about the tape. That's the biggest laugh on this forum. You've got to be a fool to believe it. If we learn anything from this episode, it should be that the tape lies all the time if that's all you care about. As I've posted countless times, I grew up with the early '70s teams and remember those guys being interviewed from the first day they set foot on the Biscayne College property. They were smart dedicated guys, with rare exception. There was devastation upon the rare defeat. Forty years later they still represent the franchise well when suited at the White House. Can you image the current goofs 40 years from now? The Dolphins began to drift once Beathard took some chances on low character guys like Darryl Carlton and Donald Reese and Randy Crowder, and it backfired. In recent years I find it hard to get invested in the team because we don't have high caliber people running the franchise, and mediocrities like that won't hire top notch coaches or draft top notch players. It's a natural correlation.

Me too! It is making me nuts though that NBC keeps replaying EVERYTHING. Don't they understand the concept of TiVo?

I think it gives the coaches an insight on character and athleticism but the game tapes are the best source of information as to how they play at game speed and scheme fit. I believe if you are using the combine to identify a "player" you may be fooled more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom