Commentary: And Then There Was One… | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: And Then There Was One…

Mr Yu said:
I like Brown , but what is the shelf life a good-great RB?

What I think is dubious about this article, is that it mentions Carnell as being a 10,000 yard rusher at the end of his career (there have only been 17 of them). Yet doesn't reccommend him for the pick... loopy

Excellent post. I too have been persuaded by your article. I was a firm believer that Ronnie Brown made the most sense for us due to his great versatility. I guess the real question is this: Are Rogers and Smith franchise QB's? If Saban and company think so, then I think we should pull the trigger. Of course, that's the problem with this draft, a lot of people are not so sure.

This franchise should have drafted a quarterback about a decade ago.

The time is now. Feeley is not the future, time to draft the future.

I have conflicting views.

First off, this year may be bad for QBs, since I just don't think Rodgers or Smith are the can't-miss franchise prospects you look for in a top-5 QB selection.

But, that being said, it gets worse in the next few years. Leinart, barring disaster, will go top-5 next year. Leak and Young? Omar Jacobs, Palko, Clausen? Young's a glorified running back. Leak is the only real talent in there, IMO. 3 years from now? Well, that's just too early to tell. But one thing is pretty certain--there just aren't as many high-profile QBs with NFL talent roaming college football right now as there were in the last 5-7 years.

So, it looks now like it's QB this year, or hope for a top-5 pick next year, which we don't want to do. Or we rely on Feeley, which is actually my preferred method.

If Feeley works out, and that's a big if, we'd do very well for ourselves to pick up Brown and seal off that position for the next 6-7 years.

Hey, I didn't say I had an answer, just questions and comments.

Saban has said he will not reach for a player. Taking any QB in this draft at #2 is a reach. It will be either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards if we stay at 2. Anyone else will be a reach.

AirChambers84 said:
i Can't agree anymore.... I would love to have any of the 3 backs, or 2 wideouts. But, We are garunteed either Smith or Rodgers and we should be pleased with that!!! We will probably never pick this high again, and we are building a new foundation. Let's draft a franchise QB ASAP and get through his developmental stage NOW!!! We can input a RB in later and he can produce automatically, our QB hasta develope and we should be worried about that 1st. I know people say we won't take a qb with our first cuz Spielman spent our 2nd on Feeley. I DOUBT Saban cares about that. If he wants a Qb nothing will stop him. Look at Arizona for instance, their previous coach spent his 1st and 2nd picks on Wideouts (Bryant Johnson,Anquan Boldin), then Coach Green came in and used his first pick on Larry Fitzgerald. We can't bank on Feeley to succeed because if we do and he fails... we'll be stuck with another solid team lacking an efficient Qb.

I still think that Saban will think long and hard about taking a QB...that is a pick that will stay with him for his entire tenure at Miami...If Rodgers or Smith were a little more "sure fire", then I think he'd pull the plug, but since these two have some questions as to their abilities, I think he will go RB or WR if he can't trade down....

I want this draft to come already, so we can see who we're going to draft. I'm getting tired from reading countless threads about "Who is it gonna be at #2? " or "I think it will be _______."

Hurry up DRAFT DAY!

Muck said:
If we can't trade down, I'm leaning towards us drafting one of the QBs or Braylon Edwards.

#2 overall seems a little high for any RB coming out of college not named Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders. Those guys dominated at the college level and are/were considered sure things. Looking back at the stats, Sanders had 2,628 yards and 37 TDs his senior season alone. :eek:

Since 1990, only three RBs have gone in the Top 2. Ki-Jana Carter (#1 1995), Marshall Faulk (#2 1994), Blair Thomas (#2 1990). Carter and Thomas were busts. Faulk is a HOF'er. So it's hardly a sure thing.

YOU NAILED IT MUCK.....COULDN'T AGREE MORE

......AND IT WAS A VERY WELL EXPLAINED ARTICLE By: Phil Unwin
Rating:
star_4.gif

Phinz4Life said:
I want this draft to come already, so we can see who we're going to draft. I'm getting tired from reading countless threads about "Who is it gonna be at #2? " or "I think it will be _______."

Hurry up DRAFT DAY!

I agree - it just won't get here fast enough will it? I'm excited and anxious to see how the whole thing plays out. I just hope Saban makes a good decision!

phinz_fan said:
I agree - it just won't get here fast enough will it? I'm excited and anxious to see how the whole thing plays out. I just hope Saban makes a good decision!

I'll be happy no matter what. I trust Saban.

The O-line played poorly as a unit, but they are also very young. It usually takes O-linemen a few years to develop. I think long term they have more potential than what NE has now.
He refers to NE as being an insurmountable opponent. Last time I checked their D wasn't getting any younger either.
I also don't think Brady or Vick are franchise QB's. Brady is a solid QB in a good system. Franchise QB's can carry a team on their shoulders. I'm curious to see how well he does without Charlie Weiss.
Michael Vick is a great athlete, not a franchise QB. In fact, I think he is below average in terms of understanding the passing game.

jlfin said:
The O-line played poorly as a unit, but they are also very young. It usually takes O-linemen a few years to develop. I think long term they have more potential than what NE has now.
He refers to NE as being an insurmountable opponent. Last time I checked their D wasn't getting any younger either.
I also don't think Brady or Vick are franchise QB's. Brady is a solid QB in a good system. Franchise QB's can carry a team on their shoulders. I'm curious to see how well he does without Charlie Weiss.
Michael Vick is a great athlete, not a franchise QB. In fact, I think he is below average in terms of understanding the passing game.

He sure knows how to pass them herpes around. :lol:

Writing off Feeley at this point is just plain ignorant. Marino would have looked like **** in that offense, so how can you blame Feeley for looking like ****? I could understand thinking QB if either of the 2 prospects are future superstars, but I just don't see it. Rodgers very likely will end up like the other Tedford QB's like Trent Dilfer and Joey Harrington that had huge #'s in college but struggled in the pro's. Alex Smith has to prove he can take snaps from under center (see: Brock Berlin) in addition to proving that he can succeed at the pro level . If either guy was even a potential Manning or McNabb, then I'd say go for it, but I don't think either will ever sniff that level of success. If in the 1st round we pick up a guy who may only develop into an above average QB, then you've wasted the highest draft pick we've had in 30+ years.

I'd rather see us take Braylon Edwards, Ronnie Brown, or Cadillac Williams. Edwards in particular seems like a gamebreaker to me. The guy that strikes fear into the opposing team. That's the kind of performance you want to see out of a #2 overall pick, regardless of need.

All that said, at this point I still trust Nick Saban to make the right decision. He's spent more time evaluating these players than anyone on this board (even Boomer). If he thinks Alex Smith is the #2 pick, then I'll accept that and hope he develops into the next Peyton Manning.

ItalianDolFan said:
Fact is...we NEED a QB. Alex Smith is going to be 21 at the start of the season, thats pretty young. He isnt even LEGALLY allowed to drink yet, lol. We need a YOUNG QB to groom, who can start for us in a year or two. Alex Smith can learn quite a bit from AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Jason Garrett, and Gus Frerrote especially. Carson Palmer didnt start in his 1st year. We need someone at QB who we can keep for years to come. If not, then we are going to be signing and releasing QBs every year. We need a SOLID, CONSISTENT QB. We had Dan Marino for...uhh......15-16 years? Alex Smith has potential...no QB out of college comes out and dominates. Ben Roethlisberger didnt dominate, he just has a good offense in front of him. But taking Alex Smith is our best bet. He's tall, YOUNG- (Alex Smith can be in the NFL for 20 years. He has the potential to make RECORDS.) If we draft this guy, i wouldnt be surprised to see him start in his 1st year.....AJ and Gus are not "Starting" material. We just dont have anyone whos better..But overall, Alex Smith is a Franchise QB and our best bet.
Neither are you. Or did u forget how old u are.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom