Commentary: And Then There Was One… | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: And Then There Was One…

i Can't agree anymore.... I would love to have any of the 3 backs, or 2 wideouts. But, We are garunteed either Smith or Rodgers and we should be pleased with that!!! We will probably never pick this high again, and we are building a new foundation. Let's draft a franchise QB ASAP and get through his developmental stage NOW!!! We can input a RB in later and he can produce automatically, our QB hasta develope and we should be worried about that 1st. I know people say we won't take a qb with our first cuz Spielman spent our 2nd on Feeley. I DOUBT Saban cares about that. If he wants a Qb nothing will stop him. Look at Arizona for instance, their previous coach spent his 1st and 2nd picks on Wideouts (Bryant Johnson,Anquan Boldin), then Coach Green came in and used his first pick on Larry Fitzgerald. We can't bank on Feeley to succeed because if we do and he fails... we'll be stuck with another solid team lacking an efficient Qb.

I still believe that A.J. has some potential. Last year we had a crappy o-line, with the signings of Hodson Houck and Stocklare McDougle, that gives us a leader and one of the best o-line coaches. If we draft a RB with our 1st, that's a huge upgrade from Sammy Morris, Travis Minor, and Lamar Gordon. We could also even draft a QB in the 3rd (Orton or McPherson) to develop if A.J. doesn't work out.

I have always felt we should take a RB with our #2 pick until I read this article. As much as we could use a RB - you rarely get the chance to pick up a franchise QB and I think we should take it. Lets face it, Feeley will probably win some games for us but he isn't going to light it up. He isn't going to be a superstar like Smith or Rodgers could potentially be (I stress potentially).

Right now picking a RB fulfills our more immediate needs and I won't be upset if that's what we do - it is really a smart safe pick. However, I think picking one of the QB's might benefit our team more in the long run. After all, I'm sure I am not alone in missing having an awesome passing game like we had with Dan the Man. Not trying to compare Smith or Rodgers to him of course, but wouldn't it be nice to have a QB that doesn't make you hold your breath everytime he throws the ball for fear of it getting picked?

Reasons why not to take a QB #2nd overall!

1) This years QB crop is nowhere near stellar. There is alot of potential from the top 5 QB's and not much seperating them.

2) We would be investing huge amounts of money destroying our cap that is already all messed up on a player who wont even see the field for atleast a year if not two.

3) With our Oline last year I dont care if Dan Marino was back there he would have sucked too. Add a lack of a RB and that made it worse. Is Feeley the answer? I dont know but a rookie QB would not perform better IMO. I say give AJ an honest shot having an improved Oline and at least another weapon or two to use.

Who should the fins draft IMO? At #2 a RB or WR that can play now but preferably we trade down and address those needs while picking up a few more picks. I am all for the fins drafting a QB, just not in the first round.

Fact is...we NEED a QB. Alex Smith is going to be 21 at the start of the season, thats pretty young. He isnt even LEGALLY allowed to drink yet, lol. We need a YOUNG QB to groom, who can start for us in a year or two. Alex Smith can learn quite a bit from AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Jason Garrett, and Gus Frerrote especially. Carson Palmer didnt start in his 1st year. We need someone at QB who we can keep for years to come. If not, then we are going to be signing and releasing QBs every year. We need a SOLID, CONSISTENT QB. We had Dan Marino for...uhh......15-16 years? Alex Smith has potential...no QB out of college comes out and dominates. Ben Roethlisberger didnt dominate, he just has a good offense in front of him. But taking Alex Smith is our best bet. He's tall, YOUNG- (Alex Smith can be in the NFL for 20 years. He has the potential to make RECORDS.) If we draft this guy, i wouldnt be surprised to see him start in his 1st year.....AJ and Gus are not "Starting" material. We just dont have anyone whos better..But overall, Alex Smith is a Franchise QB and our best bet.

ItalianDolFan said:
Fact is...we NEED a QB. Alex Smith is going to be 21 at the start of the season, thats pretty young. He isnt even LEGALLY allowed to drink yet, lol. We need a YOUNG QB to groom, who can start for us in a year or two. Alex Smith can learn quite a bit from AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, Jason Garrett, and Gus Frerrote especially. Carson Palmer didnt start in his 1st year. We need someone at QB who we can keep for years to come. If not, then we are going to be signing and releasing QBs every year. We need a SOLID, CONSISTENT QB. We had Dan Marino for...uhh......15-16 years? Alex Smith has potential...no QB out of college comes out and dominates. Ben Roethlisberger didnt dominate, he just has a good offense in front of him. But taking Alex Smith is our best bet. He's tall, YOUNG- (Alex Smith can be in the NFL for 20 years. He has the potential to make RECORDS.) If we draft this guy, i wouldnt be surprised to see him start in his 1st year.....AJ and Gus are not "Starting" material. We just dont have anyone whos better..But overall, Alex Smith is a Franchise QB and our best bet.
I hope no learns anything from Feeley.

He couldn't even get it right to be a extra point kick holder.

the problem is that a lot of fans on here don't realize that we are in a rebuilding situation or are just lying to themselves. one guy is not going to put us in the playoffs (unless it's ron mexico), so imo the best pick is one that can be the future centerpiece of the franchise while saban continues to overhaul the team into what he wants. if we still need a running back by the time smith/rodgers is ready go and we're a contender again, a franchise back can easily be had for a draft pick- for instance, there are two franchise runners on the block right now; i've never seen a franchise qb on the block.

If we can't trade down, I'm leaning towards us drafting one of the QBs or Braylon Edwards.

#2 overall seems a little high for any RB coming out of college not named Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson or Barry Sanders. Those guys dominated at the college level and are/were considered sure things. Looking back at the stats, Sanders had 2,628 yards and 37 TDs his senior season alone. :eek:

Since 1990, only three RBs have gone in the Top 2. Ki-Jana Carter (#1 1995), Marshall Faulk (#2 1994), Blair Thomas (#2 1990). Carter and Thomas were busts. Faulk is a HOF'er. So it's hardly a sure thing.

I like Brown , but what is the shelf life a good-great RB? We need a RB , but I like some guys in the 2nd (Shelton) almost as much.

-If Saban has the stones to pull the trigger on a QB , great. He better be right , because his job will depend on it in the long term.

Phishstix said:
the problem is that a lot of fans on here don't realize that we are in a rebuilding situation ...

I don't think this is true, I believe most people on this messageboard know Saban has to rebuild the team and are debating what is the best player to help facilitate that rebuilding as it relates to the 2nd pick in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom