[Commentary] Cabrera’s Weight No Issue | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Commentary] Cabrera’s Weight No Issue

RWhitney014

Ginger Whit
Reaction score
Cabrera’s Weight No Issue
By Perry Gattegno

Every time a shot of Miguel Cabrera shows up on TV, someone inevitably cringes, shakes his head, and makes a snide remark about the 24-year-old’s ample waist.

He’s too big, they say, to cover ground at third base; look at the errors. He’s going to have to move to first or the American League to be a designated hitter, they say; look at his baserunning. He’s going to eat himself out of his career, they say; look at the pictures of him from 2003.

I say leave him alone.

Cabrera’s official 210-pound listing is a joke, to be sure. He does not deny reporters that he has grown larger over the past couple years. Thing is, so have his offensive statistics. Cabrera is hitting .332 with 16 HR and 51 RBI so far this year. His average is tops among major league 3B and his 45 runs scored put him second among that group and ahead of such offensive juggernauts as Alfonso Soriano, Albert Pujols, and Vladimir Guerrero.

Cabrera was never going to beat Juan Pierre in any sprint competitions, so whatever effect his size has on his speed is negligible. He is no Mike Lowell on the bases, and he compensates for his lack of twinkletoes with his impeccable instincts.

Defense is a concern. Cabrera is tied for the most errors among MLB 3B with Ryan Zimmerman and (surprise)Lowell. But many of Cabrera’s errors come on poor throws across the diamond on routine plays. This suggests his footwork and a couple lapses in concentration are at fault, two separate problems unrelated to his weight.

Too many critics take the too easy path of lobbing jabs at Cabrera. Some fans have taken it steps farther, advocating trading Cabrera while he’s still marketable. Put clearly, this is ridiculous. If the Marlins were to put Cabrera up for sale, 29 other teams would be lining up with their best offers. Cabrera’s career numbers through age 23 compare him favorably to five players: Hank Aaron, Orlando Cepeda, Frank Robinson, Joe Medwick, and Mickey Mantle, says baseball-reference.com. Notice anything those guys have in common?

Only a few players exist whom are definitely better than Cabrera. Pujols is on top, and Guerrero is probably up there, too. Alex Rodriguez is having a historically good season. After that trio, who else is there? David Wright? Cabrera’s leading him in just about every offensive category but stolen bases and All-Star votes. Travis Hafner? David Ortiz? Two other big guys who truly have taken themselves off the field due to their defensive incompetence.

Miguel Cabrera is what differentiates the Marlins, a young team with a bright, immediate future, from the Royals, a young team constantly mired in rebuilding with a couple nice pieces but no relief in sight. Cabrera has developed into a leader, telling pitchers off when they throw at hitters and coming to the defense of his teammates in dicey situations. He has taken his newfound money – his $7.4 million was a record contract for a player in his first year of arbitration – with a sense of responsibility, not immaturity.

So Cabrera may have a Ruthian physique, but his numbers are approachable to that stratum of player. If the critics have to focus on a player’s weight, that’s because there’s nothing in his game for them to lambaste. In Cabrera’s case, let him continue to assault Florida’s offensive records. Maybe then the critics will realize just how unimportant Cabrera’s weight is.

The problem is that larger bodies move slower. It's the defensive side of the ball that his weight affects him. He has absolutely no range at third base, and if he continues to grow like this he will end up playing first base in the future.

He is a bad defensive player who has mental lapses and like I said absolutely no range. His weight does affect his defense, because when he dropped weight last year he was actually passable at third base.

If it comes down to it we will trade Willis in order to keep Cabrera. He isn't going anywhere.

the marlins never keep anybody... just hope he can learn 1b and play for the good guys new york team.

the marlins never keep anybody... just hope he can learn 1b and play for the good guys new york team.

That's just an ignorant comment.

By 2009 we will have a new stadium and more revenue. Also we kept most of the 03 team together a few years, they just couldn't get the job done.

When teams call about Dontrelle Willis we take offers, when they call about Cabrera the answer is a flat out no. Cabrera is here for the long haul.

Neither New York team is for good guys by the way.....

I agree with the article. Miguel was never Brooks Robinson with the glove and I think it was obvious he would eventually become a 1st baseman or DH.

I do think the guy needs to stop eating so much though and work out a little more. His body might be able to handle the extra weight at 25 but who knows at 30.

By 2009 we will have a new stadium and more revenue. Also we kept most of the 03 team together a few years, they just couldn't get the job done.

When teams call about Dontrelle Willis we take offers, when they call about Cabrera the answer is a flat out no. Cabrera is here for the long haul.

how am i off base with my coment regarding the marlins keeping players for the long haul? historically they do not keep their guys... from the 2003 ws team you guys have dontrelle and cabrera. even from the 2005 team you guys have only a couple players... dontrelle, cabrera, willingham, hermida, plus some other non significant players? dontrelle is the only one that is remaining on the starting rotation. granted from last year, the team does have all the starters backs, plus young bucks like hanley and uggla. really though, there is no idication from history that the marlins keep their guys.
btw... the mets are most definitely good guys, just not playing like it right now.

The thing is, his weight is affecting his defense. Now granted there are plenty of GREAT hitters in the majors that suck at D. The bigger question is what happens when he does not hit for one season. Say he just has a bad year. EVERYONE will just be calling him a fat used up player. There have been quite a few great over weight players, but they do seem to have shorter careers or just seem to fall from grace a LOT faster than ones that are in decent shape.

So yeah, the key is not how he handles the weight now, but what about in 5+ years! Just like Finkle said.

LOL, everytime I see your screen name, all I hear in my head is "Finkle and Einhorn, Finkle and Einhorn" then the theme from the CRYING GAME.

The thing is, his weight is affecting his defense. Now granted there are plenty of GREAT hitters in the majors that suck at D. The bigger question is what happens when he does not hit for one season. Say he just has a bad year. EVERYONE will just be calling him a fat used up player. There have been quite a few great over weight players, but they do seem to have shorter careers or just seem to fall from grace a LOT faster than ones that are in decent shape.

So yeah, the key is not how he handles the weight now, but what about in 5+ years! Just like Finkle said.

LOL, everytime I see your screen name, all I hear in my head is "Finkle and Einhorn, Finkle and Einhorn" then the theme from the CRYING GAME.

What do you know about Ray Finkle? :wink:

But yes I think his weight issues aren't a concern now but will be in a few years once he starts getting older. It is amazing how big he got since 2003 when he came up. But like I said I think in 3 years he'll be a 1st baseman or DH for an AL team. The kid can flat out hit.

No they actually got alot more talent in 04 then had a fire sale. Thats not really keeping the team together. Plus before the 04 year they traded Derek Lee which was not that smart. They did alright in 04 also

Back
Top Bottom