Commentary: Dr. Astro Zoom’s offseason checkup (PART TWO) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Dr. Astro Zoom’s offseason checkup (PART TWO)

Good article. I agree with everything although I'm not sure if Howard should get the nod over Buckley (if we get him). Haven't seen Daniels because I don't follow college football. Is he starter quality?

I don't agree with everything you've written, but you did a good job articulating the underlying rationales. Another good job.

gofins said:
Good article. I agree with everything although I'm not sure if Howard should get the nod over Buckley (if we get him). Haven't seen Daniels because I don't follow college football. Is he starter quality?

Daniels was a starter at corner for Nick at LSU. The speculation is that he might be moved to safety. His versaitility makes him a key cog, especially now that Poole has gone down.

Now to a more important question. Who is the hottie in your avatar?

It's a good article, I think Ty Law will be brought in and start as our #2 CB. I also think that Kay-Jay Harris will beat Gordon for the back-up RB spot behind Brown. What do you think of the Williams situation?

nick19991 said:
It's a good article, I think Ty Law will be brought in and start as our #2 CB. I also think that Kay-Jay Harris will beat Gordon for the back-up RB spot behind Brown. What do you think of the Williams situation?

1) I wouldn't hold my breath on Law. With the salary demands he would bring, I don't see him fitting in Miami's budget.

2) I am anxious to see how Harris performs. For an undraftred RB to make the team at all would be impressive, and I can see this happening. I'm less certain about him replacing Gordon -- not so much because of Harris but because of what Gordon can contribute to Linehan's offense if healthy.

3) I believe the Williams situation boils down to just talk. I can envision Ricky perhaps trying a comeback, but I think his physical and mental "flabbiness," for lack of a better word, will stop it before it starts.

I hope your right about the William's situation because I don't want to see the "pothead" or "quitter" (whatever you call him) back on this team and like you said I think he would be out of shape, he already lost 20 pounds and hasn't been training so I know he won't be effective or at least not right away if he does come back

nick19991 said:
I hope your right about the William's situation because I don't want to see the "pothead" or "quitter" (whatever you call him) back on this team and like you said I think he would be out of shape, he already lost 20 pounds and hasn't been training so I know he won't be effective or at least not right away if he does come back

Actually, Nick, my opinion on Ricky has softened somewhat with the pssage of time. I still don't want him anywhere near this team, but I don't have the anger toward him as a fan that I did last year. Some people are particularly suited for one activity in one way and a re completely unable to handle it in another. I think Ricky had the physical talent and the football mentality to thrive as a running back, but he didn't have the discipline or the self-awareness needed to survive as a professional athlete.

That said, I wish him the best in life.

Nice article. I like the format. I don't agree or disagree because really it's to early to tell, and we aren't getting much info to go on. Does make for some interesting reading, and keeps me pumped for the up coming season! Thanks!!

Steve

I'm glad you gave A.J. the early nod, I'm hoping he shows the value of Spielman, even though I'm starting to be let down, seeing as how Saban's trying to replace him..He is in my opinion a good talent evaluator...I know people get to bring in their own people, but my goodness, the picks Spielman's made are good..only if he had oversight earlier in Wanny's tender, we may be SB champs by now..that's a lot for him, but I really like him.

MDFINFAN said:
I'm glad you gave A.J. the early nod, I'm hoping he shows the value of Spielman, even though I'm starting to be let down, seeing as how Saban's trying to replace him..He is in my opinion a good talent evaluator...I know people get to bring in their own people, but my goodness, the picks Spielman's made are good..only if he had oversight earlier in Wanny's tender, we may be SB champs by now..that's a lot for him, but I really like him.

We would have never guessed you felt so strongly about Spielman, obviously many fans and apparently Saban himself do not see it the way you do.

MDFINFAN said:
I'm hoping he shows the value of Spielman, even though I'm starting to be let down, seeing as how Saban's trying to replace him..He is in my opinion a good talent evaluator...I know people get to bring in their own people, but my goodness, the picks Spielman's made are good..only if he had oversight earlier in Wanny's tender, we may be SB champs by now...

Whoa, whoa ... let's not overstate things. I'm a Spielman fan too, as far as talent recognition goes. But I learned a hard lesson with Dave Wannstedt.

At the time he had player personnel powers stripped away, I thought it was a fantastic move. My argument at the time was that without the burden of personnel decisions, Wannstedt could thrive as a coach.

Obviously, that didn't happen. And I'm convinced one factor was Wannstedt's reduced focus as a result of the sting of the demotion. Which has led me to believe that it's usually best for both parties if you just let an employee go rather than keep him with diminished responsibility. I think that's what we're seeing with Spielman.

MDFINFAN said:

Wishful thinking about SB champs.... Remember, Spielman had limited authority until last year... "You can't select pieces to a band if your not the orchestrator."

DrAstroZoom said:
Whoa, whoa ... let's not overstate things. I'm a Spielman fan too, as far as talent recognition goes. But I learned a hard lesson with Dave Wannstedt.

At the time he had player personnel powers stripped away, I thought it was a fantastic move. My argument at the time was that without the burden of personnel decisions, Wannstedt could thrive as a coach.

Obviously, that didn't happen. And I'm convinced one factor was Wannstedt's reduced focus as a result of the sting of the demotion. Which has led me to believe that it's usually best for both parties if you just let an employee go rather than keep him with diminished responsibility. I think that's what we're seeing with Spielman.

I'm not sure what you ever saw in Wannstedt that would lead you to believe he would ever thrive as a coach? But you certainly weren't alone.

I also don't see what some of you see in Spielman to think so highly of him, as I review last years moves and draft I see a very mediocre and mixed bag of results, taking away the GM mistakes he made, Carey was a reach at 19 who is still a major question mark, Poole was a guy who slipped down a couple a rounds that I and I'm sure a lot of other people were screaming at the TV to be our pick in round 4. The rest of that draft is still very questionable and in reality very few if any of those guys will be on this team long.

Trading a high third rounder for what little Gordon had shown in this league was highly questionable from a talent evaluation perspective, I won't even touch the Feeley thing right now(I hope thats the one move he made that works out or we are in trouble).

BlueFin said:
I'm not sure what you ever saw in Wannstedt that would lead you to believe he would ever thrive as a coach? But you certainly weren't alone.

I also don't see what some of you see in Spielman to think so highly of him, as I review last years moves and draft I see a very mediocre and mixed bag of results, taking away the GM mistakes he made, Carey was a reach at 19 who is still a major question mark, Poole was a guy who slipped down a couple a rounds that I and I'm sure a lot of other people were screaming at the TV to be our pick in round 4. The rest of that draft is still very questionable and in reality very few if any of those guys will be on this team long.

Trading a high third rounder for what little Gordon had shown in this league was highly questionable from a talent evaluation perspective, I won't even touch the Feeley thing right now(I hope thats the one move he made that works out or we are in trouble).

All the mistakes you mention were mistakes of execution of GM duties and not necessarily deficient talent evaluation. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Back
Top Bottom