Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Just say NO to Ty Law

I agree 100%. The only way we sign him is to an affordable cap friendly deal for the short term. Let him mentor our young corners and then move on. I like the point in the very end. If the Pats gave up on him, why question their move?

I think that even if Law is signed, we can't judge Saban until we see the size of the contract that Law gets. If it's a front loaded contract and we're not paying him a lot in the future, I have no problem with the signing. If it kills our cap in the future, then no way. Ty Law can still be a good player. The player he once was, maybe not, but a good player regardless.

The Patriots cut law because they owed him a boat load of money. Do you think if he had a reasonable contract the Patriots would have cut him anyways? If Law can be had without putting future salary caps at risk, I say get him.

There's talk about Law signing a short-term and/or a cap-friendly deal. I just can't see that happening.

At 31, this will be his last attempt at a big contract. And like every other superstar, Law is looking for long-term security in the form of up-front money (signing bonus). I just can't see Saban making that kind of move. Especially on a 31-year old coming off a major foot injury.

While i agree with 90% of the commentary especially about NOT signing Law i do disagree however with this being a 2-3 year rebuild. i think we have enough quality players on this team that were not used in the past etc. where we could be really good again in 1-2 years. Just my thoughts.

:missmeth:

I can't believe so many Dolphin fans think Ty Law is not worth 4 million a year. Shoot, that seems like a bargain to me.

ohall said:
I can't believe so many Dolphin fans think Ty Law is not worth 4 million a year. Shoot, that seems like a bargain to me.

I think he's worth that money. But I don't think the Dolphins should get him. We just unloaded a bunch of Surtain money. Getting Law would put us right back to square one. Salary cap hell. ANd you know he's gonna get paid for the next FEW years at at least $4 mil. We're straight without him.

Did you write that article wearing your Coach Bellichek (sp?) Hooded sweatshirt.

I think ty law is not the right guy for miami. If he suits up in our jersey then i will cheer for him. But I don't think that since NE doesn't want him that no one should. Thats just silly. They don't make mistakes for their franchise. That does not mean that the players they release are bad or on the out. Ty law is a good player that fills a need. I think Safety and Offense are still a priority so I agree with you there. It just came off a little too " new england is perect everyone else sucks" for me.

BringBackShula said:
I think he's worth that money. But I don't think the Dolphins should get him. We just unloaded a bunch of Surtain money. Getting Law would put us right back to square one. Salary cap hell. ANd you know he's gonna get paid for the next FEW years at at least $4 mil. We're straight without him.

I don't see that. If 4 million a year is the # that means we gained a 2nd round pick and roughly 2 million in cap space for discharging Surtain and bringing in Law. I like that concept a lot!

I cant believe that people even consider signing Law.

Its just a "knee jerk" reaction to Poole`s injury......

I agree with everything except "When did this year matter so much?". Every year is the only year IMHO, if we are going to be rebuilding I don't mind as long as you don't rule out the possibility (I frankly don't give a **** how small it may be) of going to a Super Bowl. I don't mean to qoute a division rival's coach but, you play to win the game.

The argument, as I read it, is that (1) we're trying to get younger on defense; (2) we're trying to shift some of the salary cap investment from the defense to the offense; and (3) we're rebuilding, so why would we need to get a pro-bowl corner anyway. Signing Ty Law does not support any of these points, unless under certain circumstances.

Poole is likely lost for the season. He's got a minimum of 4-6 months rehab (based on medical recommendations on this type of injury), and there would definitely be questions on how effective he could be afterwards. This would open the door for a one-year "stop-gap" solution and may force us to stray somewhat from the "get younger" argument.

The only way that I think we would sign Ty Law is if it's a short term, low money contract -- like a one year, at or near minimum contract. I don't ever see Law signing this kind of deal, and thus, I doubt very seriously that Law will be coming to Miami. But, if for some strange reason, Law would sign such a deal, then the salary cap impact would be minimal and thus could still allow for money to shift to the offensive side of the ball.

I also don't believe too much in that we're rebuilding. I still believe that we have a lot of talent, we just need someone to focus that talent in a positive way. I think Saban and the coaching staff are definitely capable of doing that as opposed to our previous staff. I honestly believe that if this can be done, we could at least double our wins from last season.

So, all in all, I only support a Ty Law signing if it's a short term, low dollar contract. Because if this isn't the case, then yes, it violates the very valid points in the argument. I also think that there's no way that Law would go for this kind of deal. So, it's a mute point.

chuckcole said:
The argument, as I read it, is that (1) we're trying to get younger on defense; (2) we're trying to shift some of the salary cap investment from the defense to the offense; and (3) we're rebuilding, so why would we need to get a pro-bowl corner anyway. Signing Ty Law does not support any of these points, unless under certain circumstances.

Poole is likely lost for the season. He's got a minimum of 4-6 months rehab (based on medical recommendations on this type of injury), and there would definitely be questions on how effective he could be afterwards. This would open the door for a one-year "stop-gap" solution and may force us to stray somewhat from the "get younger" argument.

The only way that I think we would sign Ty Law is if it's a short term, low money contract -- like a one year, at or near minimum contract. I don't ever see Law signing this kind of deal, and thus, I doubt very seriously that Law will be coming to Miami. But, if for some strange reason, Law would sign such a deal, then the salary cap impact would be minimal and thus could still allow for money to shift to the offensive side of the ball.

I also don't believe too much in that we're rebuilding. I still believe that we have a lot of talent, we just need someone to focus that talent in a positive way. I think Saban and the coaching staff are definitely capable of doing that as opposed to our previous staff. I honestly believe that if this can be done, we could at least double our wins from last season.

So, all in all, I only support a Ty Law signing if it's a short term, low dollar contract. Because if this isn't the case, then yes, it violates the very valid points in the argument. I also think that there's no way that Law would go for this kind of deal. So, it's a mute point.

Best Ty Law post yet.. This sums up all of my thoughts on the subject.. Like a cliff notes for the book Sign Law? NO, NO

Back
Top Bottom