Commentary: Shula Era...Good Times | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Shula Era...Good Times

First of all thank you for the feedback on the aritcle. I think people are missing some key points made. During the Shula era we always had great coaching. Now did we always have great personnel? No. But no matter how many John Bosa's, or lack of RB he had in the later years, for 35 years we were in the NFL elite. And we had a chance in every game. We were competitive, and often saw our way to the AFC Championship game, into five Super Bowls, even though we lost three. I think if you look at that whole 82' team with WoodStrock that went to the SB. Now that was great coaching. We have had better talent since, and achieved less.

We expected to make the playoffs every year, and we did. Once there we were always a threat. In the last 13 years its been go to the playoffs, get blown out and embarrassed and now go home. During the later part of his career, the game was passing Shula by, and he retired when he should have. But that does not negate what he gave for so long. The final and most important point is that with Saban here, you get the distinct feeling that once again we will be able to know that coaching will be a strength not a weakness.

Thanks for the feedback again.

Great article. It says exactly how I feel. This is the first year I ever got this interested in the offseason and man do I miss Shula. I am also really excited now that mediocrity is not to be expected. We have Saban, a guy with competence (let's hope), but at least focus, discipline and intelligence. Our teams will not continue to underachieve, that is for sure!

Back
Top Bottom