Commentary: Shula Era...Good Times | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Shula Era...Good Times

ahhhh the good ol' days. Integrity, pride and tradition. Not only were these things taught in my fathers home but my hometown football team conducted itself in this manner also. I am old school. When I disagree with things like "winning is everything", this is the era I compare the statement to. In my eyes it quickly becomes weak. Very nice article Matt, thanks, you have reminded me that for traditions to have value they must be respected and that today we have some genuine hope, that we are finally on the correct path again. Go Miami Dolphins, since 1966 !

Great article. Shula teams were the greatest. They were always in the games, disciplined and well respected. I too am glad that wanny ball is over. It was the darkest era of the great fin franchise. I can't wait for the season to start, we may not win all the games, but you can bet we won't hurt ourselves in poor penalties, bad execution. Nick is the man to lead us back on top. I feel it will come sooner then later.

Ah, such a positive article. I wasn't going to write anything, BUT...

Those aren't the Dolphins I remember Shula coaching, or the draft picks either. The Dolphins have a long history of horrible draft picks, most of Shula's picks that I remember from the 80's & 90's were pretty awfull.

What good is going to the playoffs and being eliminated in the 1st and 2nd round every year? What good was having the best pure passing QB of all time and having no defense or running game to speak of?

Shula is class, and he's part of NFL history in every way, from coaching in the 1st Superbowl to coaching the only undefeated team, BUT his glory years ended DECADES ago. Don't kid yourself. Bill Walsh completely outcoached him, and Billicheck along with Parcells would have as well...
(Actually they did when they were both with the Pats)...

Shula never let the Dolphins decline, like they have in the last few years. Let a new era begin in Miami, hopefully Saban can restore a winning attitude with the Dolphins... After the years we have had Wanny.

tcdrover said:
Ah, such a positive article. I wasn't going to write anything, BUT...

Those aren't the Dolphins I remember Shula coaching, or the draft picks either. The Dolphins have a long history of horrible draft picks, most of Shula's picks that I remember from the 80's & 90's were pretty awfull.

What good is going to the playoffs and being eliminated in the 1st and 2nd round every year? What good was having the best pure passing QB of all time and having no defense or running game to speak of?

Shula is class, and he's part of NFL history in every way, from coaching in the 1st Superbowl to coaching the only undefeated team, BUT his glory years ended DECADES ago. Don't kid yourself. Bill Walsh completely outcoached him, and Billicheck along with Parcells would have as well...
(Actually they did when they were both with the Pats)...

:shakeno: Shula kicked Billichecks *** when he coached the Browns. Shula aslo did ok against the Pats. In 26 years with THE SAME TEAM he had ONLY 2 losing seasons. Lets see the "Bills" do that....Parcells never will bc hes a mercenary. Shulas record towards the end of his career wasnt that bad either and I would have much rather had him for 3 more years than go through the Jimmy Johnson era......which produced the Wanny Era.

The one thing that the Dolphins and Shula had was "Magic" or "Electricity".. Living on the left coast, I was never able to attend a home game at the Orange Bowl, but when the crowd started rocking and you couldnt hear Howard, Dierdorf or Micheals taking, well... it sent chills across the TV airwaves and got me.. Those moments is when I was proud to be a Dolfan faithful..

How many of you were flying high on Tuesday, December 3rd, 1985?? The big bad Bears came in with their undefeated season only to see Shula, Marino and the Dolphins light it up...

You know.. in hind sight.. its totally amazing how much Dave Wandstedt and staff was a cancer to the legacy of the once proud Dolphins.. It seems like everything... and I mean EVERYTHING Wanny did or implemented was wrong.. from his pattem on the butt encouragement to the salaries he paid his guys to early departure of Ricky Williams.. Half of me blames Ricky.. the other half blames Wanny.. but thats purely from a fans standpoint..

There is a resemblance to Saban and the hard nosed, no nonsense Don (The Godfather) Shula... and I hope the resemblance is the catalyst for bringing back the excitement and magic...

GXTdOlPhINS said:
Shula never let the Dolphins decline, like they have in the last few years. Let a new era begin in Miami, hopefully Saban can restore a winning attitude with the Dolphins... After the years we have had Wanny.

Let me stir the pot a little..As great as SHULA was he was the reason MARINO never got a ring... He couldn't bring him self to realize DANNY BOY needed a RB and a little defense to go with his 400yd 3 td games... MARINO should have won 3-4 SUPER BOWLS plain and simple.....
Before you start tearing me a new one I am a 30 year DOLFAN living in crappy JET land.....

TPD1479 said:
Let me stir the pot a little..As great as SHULA was he was the reason MARINO never got a ring... He couldn't bring him self to realize DANNY BOY needed a RB and a little defense to go with his 400yd 3 td games... MARINO should have won 3-4 SUPER BOWLS plain and simple.....
Before you start tearing me a new one I am a 30 year DOLFAN living in crappy JET land.....

Thats ridiculous to think that Shula never realized that. YOur saying the winningest coach in football never realized he needed a running back and did nothing about it but you did? Your saying the Marino teams that won 11-12 games a year did that on Marinos arm alone? Someone blocked. Somone caught. Someone defended the end zone.

He drafted RBs. They didnt work out. He drafted some pretty good defensive players too. Cox, Vincent, Oliver, Bowens, Offerdhal to name a few. He also brought in some good free agents as well. Byars, Fryar, Jackson among others. I think he did a pretty good job.

To say that he didnt realize his own teams faults is laughable. He tried to patch the holes he had and it didnt work out. Yet somehow we still ended up one of the most winningest teams in the last 20 years he was here.

Getting a good RB isnt as easy as some of you seem to think. Just ask Jimmy Johnson.

Im reading all these Shula posts and Im seeing him being refered to from a has been to an awful draft coach and a coach that didnt think he needed a defense or a RB......even though he went to 4 SBs on teams whos strong points were defense and RBs.

Its so easy to look back at something and nit pick to make yourself look smart. Its easy to do but not really impressive.

Overstated. If that was the point, then, good job. I guess. If honest asessment was the goal, you missed the mark.

Back
Top Bottom