[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[Commentary] The Myth of Multiple Suitors: How Daunte is shooting himself in the foot

I'm not sure if you're taking the "Daunte should use the Phins as a surrogate agent" angle, or what. I'm pretty sure more teams would be interested in him if he were released, and therefore cheaper. They would have him without having to give up a draft pick.

Borderline genius, if you ask me. Of course I concur completely. :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Steve Young was an attorney, and I don't believe he was his own agent. If I'm on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and I get to phone a friend, guess which QB I'm going to call?

Which begs the question, DC, what the heck were you thinking?

I respectfully disagree with the commentary.

Why would any team that is willing to trade for DC not want to sign him as soon as he is released?

Whatever team wants to sign him is surely not signing him to be a starter immediately, since DC himself said he is not fully healthy yet. His health status also makes him a risk as a backup since he may not be healthy for the start of the season, so whichever team signs him will be signing him as a "project" type player to sit on their roster to see if he can ever become the player that he once was. Since he will not be counted on to produce quickly with his new team signing him later rather than sooner has a minimal affect on said team.

Fantastic article Dr. Z and this is why I agree.

I know the Daunte versus Dolphins saga is full of, oh woe is me stuff, my dream has turned into a nightmare. On the Fin's side, they have paid for him why not, at least, give him a chance and most of all it's just not fair.
First of all fairness has nothing to do with this it is a business move. Second of all, and this is where everyone has missed the boat, most of all, Daunte Culpepper!
A little history, if you will, Thursday DC is told he is no longer in the picture and the Dolphins want to trade him. Daunte says ok and he will be willing to rework the contract. SEVERAL teams may be interested, the Jags being one, because they meet to see how everyone feels about bring DC on board and how much it may cost. DC then talks with the Jags thursday night (What is said we don't know) and Friday morning everything changes. Daunte now wants to be cut and makes a big to do about everything saying he will not except a trade because bla, bla, bla. He wants to give his new team the chance to KNOW him and do a more fair deal, meaning he is more than willing to rework his contract but without the other team having to give the Fins anything in return. And so this dog and pony show goes on.
The one thing that everyone has forgotten, including Daunte, is that if the Jags really want him, and he wants to be there, that by now DC could already be in Jaxville, deal done and everybody happy. To me DC is only hurting himself and the team that he may end up going to and, I'll bet, because of the way Daunte has handled this the number of teams that want him has dwindled. Which means that his power to get a better deal done has been hurt not enhanced. All of this because the Fins want a 6th or 7th round pick (Which IS their right) and DC wants to act like mister big shot.

Interesting. However, the article might be underestimating the appeal of getting something for nothing.

The big question for me is when a contract is restructured, what parameters can be changed? the yearly salary? the total compensation? the length of the contract? I don't think it can just be ripped up and completely redone. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Culpepper's concern (IMO) is that he redoes the deal for a low yearly salary and he comes back strong and wins a starting job next year. In a year he will be in a contract battle again. He was a shorter term deal than the current contract that runs through 2013.

His value is low right now. He feels that he can prove that he is more valuable soon and wants to be in a position to regain his former value and not be locked into a contract that undervalues him.

If Culpepper is realease he keeps the signing bonus the Fins paid him $7million plus whatever new bonus he gets from the new team.

If he accepts the trade and restructures his current deal no new bonus money.

Damn near any team, won't mind departing with a 5th, 6th or 7th rder for outside a player with DC credientials.

Personally, I think you guys are wrong. Culpepper is no rocket scientist, but the guy isn't brain dead either.

I think Culpepper knows exactly what he's doing. In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I am not a gambler) he already has an under-the-table agreement in hand with someone. He'll be signed by that someone within 48hrs of hsi release (a slight delay, possibly, just so it is not obvious).

I don't agree with Culpepper's side here, but the reality is that Miami is going to have to release him and get nothing. They should have cut their losses a week or so ago and forgone all this circus. But alas, that's a theory that I won't continue to beat like a dead horse.

I can hear Yogi Berra in the background mumbling, "Its deja Vu all over again." Folks in Minnesota must be laughing their ***** off.

I can hear Yogi Berra in the background mumbling, "Its deja Vu all over again." Folks in Minnesota must be laughing their ***** off.

Sorry, but this is nothing like the situation in Minn. Culpepper wanted to stay here. The team wants to move on. That is the opposite of the situation in Minn.

Speaking not as a fan, but as a man, I would not voluntarily take a pay cut to make life easier for the Dolphins. A contract is a legally binding document meaning that the Dolphins agreed to pay him that money and are entitled to pay it. Just because a year later they are not satisfied with his performance, or lack thereof they want to have their cake and eat it too. As a fan I am pissed off, because we cannot get rid of him, but looking at it from his perspective, I would not accomodate the Dolphins, because they are not accomodating him. As fans we want the best for our team. At this point, he can care less about what the Dolphins want. He was a bad investment from the start. It's like buying a car that you can't afford. I can't take it back to the dealership and say I want my money back. The guy at the dealership will show me the door, because taking the car back just because I don't want it is not in his best interest.

hey at the end of the day they are treating culpepper like shid, didn't the fins learn from the titans with mcnair, the chiefs with green, they atleast let them on the practice field, to let culpepper come out to practice and then call him of the field, thats was embarassing, the brass knew they weren't going to let him practice, hey c-pep will get picked up and i hope he does well

Personally, I think you guys are wrong. Culpepper is no rocket scientist, but the guy isn't brain dead either.

I think Culpepper knows exactly what he's doing. In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I am not a gambler) he already has an under-the-table agreement in hand with someone. He'll be signed by that someone within 48hrs of hsi release (a slight delay, possibly, just so it is not obvious).

I don't agree with Culpepper's side here, but the reality is that Miami is going to have to release him and get nothing. They should have cut their losses a week or so ago and forgone all this circus. But alas, that's a theory that I won't continue to beat like a dead horse.

I totally agree, some people on here think duante is a dummy, which i don't

Back
Top Bottom